Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The entire premise of estimated mileage whether it is based on an ICE vehicle or EV is broken. Everything comes down to how you drive and what the conditions are at the time. This is physics, so everything matters (weight, CD etc.)

To me, it's the overall efficiency of how the entire powertrain moves the vehicle from A to B and what kind of overhead is required to do so. That is a scientific calculation that can be measured and then rated against a standard which should be relative to all vehicles regardless of power source.

Once the baseline has been created, it should be fairly easy to provide standard deviations based on generalized driving styles (light, medium, aggressive).

The whole MPG standard needs to be overhauled. Just my $0.02

I like spirited driving therefore my 180 miles of realistic range is acceptable to me.

Reactions: MP3Mike and dsm363
Did they actually change anything physically on the car or are just having to report different numbers for some reason (EPA forced change on them maybe)?
EPA changed the requirements. Nothing was changed on the cars.
1000026217.jpg

Reactions: dsm363
Range at 70 mph constant. Make it easy to compare across all vehicles.

As it is right now, I think battery size is a better predictor of range.
Since everything is online, nothing to prevent them to advertise multiple numbers. It's not like they have to fit all of this on a window sticker anymore. They can do a city/highway/mixed range similar to gas cars which only have city/highway.

Then online they could list:
50,60,70mph constant speed range at 32F and 85F for example. Those who actually look would see temperature and speed make a difference.

So it looks like the crazy push to move the 2023 inventory is over, now my Est. Delivery: January 18 - February 22
Hmm. I still don't know what to do about my order. I'm going to have to enter my registration info today, because they are going to cancel if I don't. Then I imagine they are immediately going to assign me the '23 VIN that is on it's way to my SC. I could change my config, but I don't want to get stuck with a yoke. Also, canceling and reordering is only $250, the yoke is $1000. There's also the risk that they change prices and I won't be able to go back to the wheel without accepting the price increase.

So, I think I have to let them assign the '23 VIN, wait as long as possible, put the order on hold for 2 weeks, hope that someone else buys the '23 during those two weeks? Then if not, go schedule delivery, inspect the '23 really carefully and find a reason to reject it. That should prevent that same VIN from being re-assigned to me for the billionth time...

Reactions: aerodyne
Hmm. I still don't know what to do about my order. I'm going to have to enter my registration info today, because they are going to cancel if I don't. Then I imagine they are immediately going to assign me the '23 VIN that is on it's way to my SC. I could change my config, but I don't want to get stuck with a yoke. Also, canceling and reordering is only $250, the yoke is $1000. There's also the risk that they change prices and I won't be able to go back to the wheel without accepting the price increase.

So, I think I have to let them assign the '23 VIN, wait as long as possible, put the order on hold for 2 weeks, hope that someone else buys the '23 during those two weeks? Then if not, go schedule delivery, inspect the '23 really carefully and find a reason to reject it. That should prevent that same VIN from being re-assigned to me for the billionth time...
I think you have it sorted out, 2 week hold and then if you still get the 23 cancel and re-order.

Reactions: aerodyne
It is kind of concerning that all current inventory of 2023 Model S still show the original range estimates. If all of these changes are only going to affect new production then there may be a line of people looking to snatch up these 2023 Plaids with the better range.
The EPA testing procedure changes only supply to 2024, and newer, model years.
Suddenly everyone wants a 2023 in 2024.

OR ya know, do your own research. There are lots of range tests out there.
Grumble was suggesting a change to a single metric for all power sources. A basic change to a system. You're answer is, no need to, just do your own research. This option already exists.
To me, it's the overall efficiency of how the entire powertrain moves the vehicle from A to B and what kind of overhead is required to do so. That is a scientific calculation that can be measured and then rated against a standard which should be relative to all vehicles regardless of power source.

Last edited:
As I said get your 2023 people, there are only 200 left and they ain't coming back. Just get it!
You all can have them. :)

I'd say it's pretty unlikely that anything has changed to reduce the real range. And the 2024s might get the better horn, front camera, new plaid seats, ambient lighting. Or nothing new at all. 😅
I just care about resale, since the '23s started rolling off the line in Nov of '22, so they all will be priced the same.