Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lol... Model 3 standard range has a higher top speed than a car twice its price.

1704427387166.png

• Funny
Reactions: chrisdh79
The first reason is due to what Tesla refers to as “comfort and functionality improvements” that draw more energy from the battery pack. Tesla did not explain what those improvements were, but did say that they felt they improve the usability enough to offset the drop in range.

The second reason is changes to the EPA testing cycle, which now requires tests to be conducted with acceleration and ride height modes in best and worst case scenarios, the average of which is then taken. According to Tesla this results in “higher consumption and a slight decrease in overall range.”

This is weird. Acceleration mode should have no impact on the EPA cycle. Will the ride height impact be severe? Worst case scenario for ride height is disabling auto lowering and setting it to high, but at highway speeds it still automatically forces it down to normal. Could that really account for such a big difference?

Otherwise there is the comfort and "functionality" improvements. Comfort again I don't think will have a major impact. What did they change it from 70 to 72?

"Functionality" is probably where most of this change is coming from. That sounds like battery conditioning changes to me. Maybe the range really is being significantly affected by something.

The biggest mystery is why the LR on 19" wheels was not affected. The Plaid uses the same battery and everything else other than the drive units.
The LR rating went UP on the 21" wheels from 375 to 382 and the previously mentioned top speed decrease. What could explain this?
Additionally, the LR is just "est" for both wheel configs instead of "EPA est", while the Plaid is "EPA est" for both wheel configs.

One other thing I noticed is the option code in the image compositor is now MTS18, whereas the older ones in inventory are MTS13 for the LR and MTS19/MTS14 for Plaid. So definitely a new version.

Last edited:
Reactions: VikH and aerodyne
This is weird. Acceleration mode should have no impact on the EPA cycle. Will the ride height impact be severe? Worst case scenario for ride height is disabling auto lowering and setting it to high, but at highway speeds it still automatically forces it down to normal. Could that really account for such a big difference?

Otherwise there is the comfort and "functionality" improvements. Comfort again I don't think will have a major impact. What did they change it from 70 to 72?

"Functionality" is probably where most of this change is coming from. That sounds like battery conditioning changes to me. Maybe the range really is being significantly affected by something.

The biggest mystery is why the LR on 19" wheels was not affected. The Plaid uses the same battery and everything else other than the drive units.
The LR rating went UP on the 21" wheels from 375 to 382 and the previously mentioned top speed decrease. What could explain this?
Additionally, the LR is just "est" for both wheel configs instead of "EPA est", while the Plaid is "EPA est" for both wheel configs.

One other thing I noticed is the option code in the image compositor is now MTS18, whereas the older ones in inventory are MTS13 for the LR and MTS19/MTS14 for Plaid. So definitely a new version.
Does this range change have anything to do with the LR showing all season tires for both 19" and 21" rim sizes whereas Plaid shows summer tires for both rim sizes?

Like others I am puzzled how the LR remained unchanged. I am invested into this as my Plaid is due next week.

Also, the summer tires are rumored to be Pirelli P Zeros. Looking at Pirelli's limited warranty it exempts "tire damage and surface cracks due to use in low ambient temperatures". There are a multitude of online sources calling the use of summer tires in winter climates or conditions unsafe. Why is Tesla delivering summer tires for delivered vehicles in winter months for sites in "chill" latitudes?

Wouldn't a scenario of customer picking up a vehicle on a wintery cold day having an accident on the way home be a instant lotto ticket for involved attorney's?

Reactions: VikH
It's odd but don't think it will stop someone from picking the Model S over the Model 3 if that's what they really wanted. The long range Model S isn't a track car so unlikely to make any real world difference.
Very true. Could care less about the top speed of the Model S LR. Who would ever go that fast in normal every day driving? I just want the best possible range in the Model S package.

Will be interested in seeing the new Yoke and what they might have improved over the old one that has peeling issues.

I still wish the EPA would have one test for all cars. So dumb there are two different tests. Lucid/Tesla have the more optimistic EPA test, which I guess is more expensive and BMW/Mercedes/Porsche, etc have the more conservative test and usually outperform. Would rather have all cars have the more conservative test, especially as more of the general population moves to EV’s.

Reactions: teko and dsm363
Very true. Could care less about the top speed of the Model S LR. Who would ever go that fast in normal every day driving? I just want the best possible range in the Model S package.

Will be interested in seeing the new Yoke and what they might have improved over the old one that has peeling issues.

I still wish the EPA would have one test for all cars. So dumb there are two different tests. Lucid/Tesla have the more optimistic EPA test, which I guess is more expensive and BMW/Mercedes/Porsche, etc have the more conservative test and usually outperform. Would rather have all cars have the more conservative test, especially as more of the general population moves to EV’s.
Exactly. The EPA testing is horrible but it's better than the European testing version which is even more unrealistic for EVs. I think the EPA should give a more realistic highway range. Not average speed 49mph with acceleration. People usually travel on highway at constant speed so want to know that range.

It'd have City/Highway tests at both 32F and 85F. Four numbers maybe or 5 with a mixed use number like they have now (one number that combines everything). One number doesn't tell people much and is misleading.