Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was expecting $146k quality on my last car. I'm still expecting $90k quality on my next car... We'll see.
I would have been happy with $40k quality. My car was a mess and it had nothing to do with panel gaps which I didn’t care about. I’ve owned many brand new cars of all different makes and none have been as bad as my Plaid. Still love the car but its been bad.

You mean like this?

Passenger side is flush but drivers side looks like this.
Yes. I did not get a photo.

I just remembered one more thing that I also didn't get a photo of. I think I remember a small wrinkle in the front passenger seat. Small enough that I think it will look like that after someone sits in it anyway.

All the talk of imperfections on this thread got us looking for EVERY little thing. But for me, it's good enough and Within Spec (TM). ;)

Reactions: zoomer0056
We got the EXACT same car…in Austin.
Maybe I’ll see you out there on the road.

I have service coming out today for the rear passenger door alignment. It’s protruding out and isn’t closing right.
Nice. I thought you were getting a Plaid? I need the longer range for road trips and Insane on the LR is plenty fast for me.

Considering that Texas plates are at TZZ-nnnn now, there's a chance one of us will get UAW-nnnn. I think it will be funny to have "UAW" on a Tesla.

I forgot to mention - they did not do the FSD drive. Instead, they asked me if I had ever driven a Tesla before and I said yes, I had driven my daughter's MY (without FSD). I did verify that I will get the 3 months free FSD trial. I'm a fan of the concept of FSD but $12k is WAY too much - until it actually fully works. Autopilot is enough for me but I'm looking forward to seeing the state of FSD for myself.

The car is still calibrating the cameras. It was almost done on my trip to the PPF installer.

Are you concerned about using a system without being trained on it? How will you learn how to use FSDb. Remember, the "b" stands fie beta. That means it is not trustworthy.
I expect you forgot a "/s" at the end of your post but if not, I'll bite. I'm a geek - see my username. I'll be fine.

In both of our ICE cars we have now, I use adaptive cruise control all the time and am always ready to take over when they do something wrong. I'll treat FSD the same. I won't be texting or sleeping.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I would have been happy with $40k quality. My car was a mess and it had nothing to do with panel gaps which I didn’t care about. I’ve owned many brand new cars of all different makes and none have been as bad as my Plaid. Still love the car but its been bad.

Make that $30K. My 2009 and 2019 Prius both were perfect carbon copy stamp outs with perfect panel gaps and interior fitment.

Reactions: ck1891
XPEL Austin @ 11100 Metric Blvd Suite 200A, Austin, TX 78758
for those in Houston, I had been using XPel Houston as they do a great job, but this time, used AFS in Cypress, they specialize in Tesla and have facilities in the North Houston and Cypress parking lots with Tesla. I will say they were fast and easy to deal with. dropped it off Friday after pick up and they had it ready by Tuesday. Prices were similar, but AFS does wrapped edges where XPel typically does the cut edges.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
Spot on! Measuring with a paint stirring stick seems Way beyond normal expectation. Drive it and stop hunting for micro errors.
I will tell you Mercedes is having similar issues with paint, I think it is the new environmental issues with water based paint. My brother has an SL63 AMG where the paint issues are concerning for a $200k car, gaps are good, but the fact that they had to give him a battery tender on a car he drives 2-3 times a week is also concerning. I would say it is difficult to get a perfect car from anyone. Maybe Toyota, but as someone else stated, they are not exciting to own or drive. But, they will always get your from A to B consistently.

Reactions: TBrownTX
They tried the latch adjustment but it didn’t work - he thinks it’s the hinges and they’ll need to be replaced in the shop.

The overlfush at the back of the rear driver's door is adjusted by the striker on the actual door. Is it the same on the bottom of the door? i.e. is equally over flush from top to bottom? If so, then it's a striker adjusment. If it's overflush at the top, and underflush at the bottom, then there needs to be a hinge adjustment to make it equal before the striker is adjusted.

Additional adjustability of the hinges is obtained by removing the shouldered bolts as needed and replacing with unshouldered bolts to allow the hinge more movement(the bolts on the door side that control in and out adjustment).

Can you show a picture that shows the entire door like you did with the closeup? Same angle but further back.

I forgot to mention - they did not do the FSD drive. Instead, they asked me if I had ever driven a Tesla before and I said yes, I had driven my daughter's MY (without FSD). I did verify that I will get the 3 months free FSD trial. I'm a fan of the concept of FSD but $12k is WAY too much - until it actually fully works. Autopilot is enough for me but I'm looking forward to seeing the state of FSD for myself.

The car is still calibrating the cameras. It was almost done on my trip to the PPF installer.
We discovered we got 3 months of FSD as well when we picked up our MSLR Monday but our version is 11.4.9 which I find a bit jerky on turns. Hoping they might push us the newest version so we can really experience what some are saying is great improvement.

Took delivery of my MSLR this morning.

Delivery process was not good. Person who was helping me seemed to be in a foul mood. She had me assign my phone as a key to unlock the car, but it forced me to accept delivery before I had time to do FSD transfer. 😟. I resolved this later with a paper document which was processed within a couple of hours on Tesla’s part.

Several scratches in paint, required about 30 minutes of them buffing out. Guy doing paint said he previously worked for BMW and that Tesla has a lot of room for improvement compared with them. He thinks it’s because of the high volumes of cars sold (especially at end of quarter).

Panel gaps were all good. Slight misalignment of the passenger rear door which I can live with.

Was given no walkthrough of features, offer to demo FSD, nothing. As a former Tesla owner, I didn’t really need it, but was surprised that they were like “here’s the car, bye.”

Reactions: TBrownTX and ck1891
Yup. Get rid of Elon and focus on manufacturing quality. Screw making ridiculous quarterly delivery numbers. Get the cars right from the factory.
That’s not really an Elon problem, it’s more of a Wall Street problem. Tesla keep trying to keep up with wall streets expectations, that for some reason are different than other automakers. If Tesla doesn’t set a new record every quarter then every financial news outlet immediately panics and all of a sudden the sky is falling. For some reason they never give Tesla any room for stagnation, as if the 15 billion in net profit last year is not good enough.