Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came accross this today. thought it might be of interest in this thread. looks like I'll be waiting longer for my order.
Tesla Blames New Delays on Production Difficulties
Tesla started production of the Model S in June, and so far it has delivered only 132 of the 5,000 vehicles it originally planned to deliver by the end of the year. It has now lowered that goal to between 2,500 and 3,000 cars, although it still hopes to meet its earlier target of 20,000 vehicles in 2013.

So are you getting the front license plate or taking your chances? I can't decide!

I'm going to get the front license plate. i'm fine with how the bracket looks from the pictures I've seen online. It's a toss up though, I really like the clean look of the front end with no plate. Also our state plates being white will stick out on the black nose. I've been looking at some of the custom plates that are a different color and I may end up getting a custom plate to match the black nosecone better.

Dr Craig Venter reports he got his Model S:
J. Craig Venter@JCVenter
Just got my Tesla S car. It is clearly the most high tech car on the road. This car will change the future of the auto industry.

He already has a Roadster.

His company Synthetic Genomics is using Biotech to synthesize Hydrocarbon fuels from algae

Designing Life: What's Next for J. Craig Venter? - CBS News

He has already signed a contract with a major pharmaceutical firm to try and do it. BP is funding research to experiment with underground microbes that feed off coal and produce natural gas. And Exxon Mobil has committed $300 million to Venter's company to genetically enhance an algae that lives off carbon dioxide and produces an oil that can be refined into gasoline.

"So you're trying to cut down on CO2 in the atmosphere, which people believe causes global warming and also create a fuel?" Kroft asked, while touring Venter's greenhouse, which is filled with bags of algae under study.

"The question is on the scale that it needs to be done at. You know? Facilities the size of San Francisco," Venter said.

The technology (algae -> hydrocarbon fuels) is not the problem, it's the SCALE-ability. This is an interesting parallel to Tesla's current problem with the Model S. Arguably the highest-tech car, but getting it to mass-production levels seems to be a hurdle.

Venter likes to think big, and his latest advancement is no exception. He removed a Petri dish from an incubator in his lab and held it up to the light, revealing small dark specks of bacteria.

"This is the first synthetic species," Venter told Kroft.

"And how long did it take you to make this?" Kroft asked.

"Well, if you count the total time from the conception, about 15 years," Venter replied.

The project cost about $40 million over that time period, Venter told Kroft.

In practical terms, what Venter's team has created is about as useful as the mold that grows in a bachelor's refrigerator, but scientifically it is a milestone. The bacteria, which is similar to one found in the intestines of goats, was designed on a computer, manufactured in the laboratory, and gets its genetic instructions from a synthetic chromosome made by man, not nature.

"It's alive and self-replicating. That means it can indefinitely grow and make copies of itself," Venter explained.

Asked if he designed it to do anything in particular, Venter said, "No. We designed this just to see if we could do this whole experiment using synthetic DNA. And now that we know we can do it, it's worth the effort to now make the things that could be valuable."

Just how valuable remains to be seen, but Venter believes this is the first baby step in a biological revolution: one, in which it will be possible to custom design and re-program bacteria and other organisms to churn out new medicines, foods, and clean sources of energy.

"What you're doing is programming cells like somebody would program software," Kroft remarked.

"DNA is the software of life. There's no question about it," Venter replied. "And the key to evolution of life on this planet and now to the key to the future of life on this planet is understanding how to write that software."

"So, you see bioengineered fuel for example?" Kroft asked.

Incidentally, the top-gun Nobelist Medicine (Dr Hamilton Smith) he hired for JCVI (1st organism designed by computer) is an alumni from my high school.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_Laboratory_High_School_(Urbana,_Illinois)

M Eberhard was my office-mate in grad school (UIUC), you could see my high school from our lab window. M Eberhard & Andrew Chien (son of lab's supervisor Dr Robert Chien) were both at the lab in Summer '81, the latter became Intel Director of Research & VP Corporate Technology (2005-2010).

Last edited:
Is it just me or does it seem like these threads have come to a near screeching halt since the "delay" news?
May well be that the news just took all the air from our balloons. I'm P1117 and now not sure if I will even see my car this year.
This could mean I lose a $3500 tax rebate from state of PA. Also seems that "news" from Tesla has also come to a screeching halt.
I'm not even hearing much at all on here about any new deliveries this week. I'd love to know how many get produced this week.

Is it just me or does it seem like these threads have come to a near screeching halt since the "delay" news?
May well be that the news just took all the air from our balloons. I'm P1117 and now not sure if I will even see my car this year.
This could mean I lose a $3500 tax rebate from state of PA. Also seems that "news" from Tesla has also come to a screeching halt.
I'm not even hearing much at all on here about any new deliveries this week. I'd love to know how many get produced this week.

They are at 77 per week now — most recent scheduled deliveries (145) are on page 1 of this thread.

Model S Delivery Update