Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After spending some time in the car, here’s a few notes for those considering the color, the seats, and how the 2024 MSP compares to my 2021 MSP:

The color - love it. In the direct sun it’s bright silver, almost white because of the metallic flakes. In the shade and especially in the dark, the car takes on a blueish/grayish/satin color. It’s a clever color and a clever name, lunar silver, they delivered on it. Very happy with it.

The seats - they are great, much needed improvement over the standard seats. The one thing I will point out is if you have a particularly wide rear/thighs, it may be snug. The bolsters on the side are pretty wide, the thigh bolsters are a bit tighter. If you’re super particular about that area, I can see someone not liking it. For me, they are a welcome change, no fitment issues, no downside. Great upgrade.

Vs previous model S - my most recent MS was also one of the first Plaids from June/July 2021 so in a sense apples/apples as both are new variants. In comparison, it’s what you would expect, they are very similar. The car feels tighter and more well put together, but it’s obviously a new car vs a 3yr old car. If I had to guess I’d say maybe some minor tweaks here and there over the 3yrs have led to a slightly quieter and tighter build. I did notice a unique sound under WOT that I had not heard before, the “whooooosh” sound included a different pitch of whine/whistle, perhaps diff batteries or some electrical component. In terms of the key driving elements of the car - steering suspension throttle etc all feel exactly the same as the 21. Some minor differences (new to me, coming from a 2021) I noticed are the screen tilt, red calipers returning, higher clarity cameras, better touchscreen performance, new charge port design, FSD operates more effectively, and the phone key performs noticeably better. Car is on 2024.8.3.

Hope that info helps anyone considering the car ✨✨
Beautiful car! Can you confirm you have steam? Wondering if they removed the GPUs on the model S as well.

Beautiful car! Can you confirm you have steam? Wondering if they removed the GPUs on the model S as well.

Steam is in the arcade correct? I did not see a Steam icon anywhere. I can’t see the release notes of the installed software to determine if it was removed as part of this version of SW which I don’t believe many people are on.

For any of you who have taken a delivery of a new Plaid recently, do the new seats show up in the phone UI and in car UI?

Here are the standard & sport seats from the app - looks the same. Perhaps this changes with v12?

Attachments

• IMG_1686.jpeg
    IMG_1686.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Here are the standard & sport seats from the app - looks the same. Perhaps this changes with v12?
Interesting. I wonder if there's a config change associated at all with the new seats then. I couldn't identify one when I was screwing around with toolbox, but not sure if that's changed since my access expired. Just planning for when I eventually attempt a retrofit (currently new seats still not orderable I believe)

Tesla has been hit or miss about updating the UI for stuff. Model 3 mid cycle update for example doesn't show the updated interior on the in-car UI, but does in the app. And 3/Y don't show the amber turn signals. S/X did show minor updates historically (headlights, taillights etc), but perhaps they're focused on other stuff now.

Electric Auto Films had a promo and offer $3500 for full PPF. I'm still waiting for my delivery but put down a refundable deposit to secure the PPF price. My EDD just moved till end of month now. Good thing I have a beater car for work or else I would have switched to white interior. Looks like the Plaid with cream interior has a long wait.
Ordered 12/30/23 MSP with cream interior.
EDD updated: Jun 8- Jun 29
I paid $4k, but they threw in 10 year ceramic coating and an upgrade to their nanotech tint. So...it was close to even, I suppose. They did a decent job after the initial eff ups. The PPF market for teslas is HOT right now, especially in SoCal. I've seen it even cheaper than $3500.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I paid $4k, but they threw in 10 year ceramic coating and an upgrade to their nanotech tint. So...it was close to even, I suppose. They did a decent job after the initial eff ups. The PPF market for teslas is HOT right now, especially in SoCal. I've seen it even cheaper than $3500.
Ha, perhaps I should have taken a vacation to California and gotten my PPF done there. Oh well

Interesting. I wonder if there's a config change associated at all with the new seats then. I couldn't identify one when I was screwing around with toolbox, but not sure if that's changed since my access expired. Just planning for when I eventually attempt a retrofit (currently new seats still not orderable I believe)

Tesla has been hit or miss about updating the UI for stuff. Model 3 mid cycle update for example doesn't show the updated interior on the in-car UI, but does in the app. And 3/Y don't show the amber turn signals. S/X did show minor updates historically (headlights, taillights etc), but perhaps they're focused on other stuff now.

The new headlights and taillights didn't even show in the car immediately. It took a few months at least, I remember there was an update that finally started showing the global taillights in the visualization, well after I got my car.

Steam is in the arcade correct? I did not see a Steam icon anywhere. I can’t see the release notes of the installed software to determine if it was removed as part of this version of SW which I don’t believe many people are on.

Interesting maybe this confirms they got rid of it. What does your infotainment information say in the additional vehicle information section?

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
Ooh good one! C’mon 5G!
Based on what I know from my professional career, the addition of 5G is unlikely.. but you all know how Tesla rolls with these types of things.

In better news, LTE support for our cars will continue well into the 2030s. Even long after LTE support for smartphones goes away. Carriers will keep the lights on (i.e. spectrum available) for cars and other IoT type devices.

Does it actually say 16GB? For some reason, I thought the HW4 cars went down to 8GB of memory. Maybe that's only on the HW4 Model 3/Y and the extra memory is needed for the three screens in the S/X.
S/X have been were originally 8GB and then later upgraded to 16GB for Steam support. 3/Y were weird in that they started off with 16GB and then downgraded to 8GB.

Sounds like they removed the dGPU on the S/X if Steam is no longer showing up in the arcade menu