Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pleasantly surprised to see website update to "delivery window is May 21, 2016 - June 4, 2016". Still showing in production.

Wall charger being installed today. Crossing fingers that we get it in time to take on vacation. This waiting, watching, preparing process has been both stressful and fun. The closest thing I can compare it to is having a baby on the way.

Ordered: 4/13
Confirmed: 4/20
VIN Assigned: 4/21
Production 5/7

Last edited:
Reactions: bradjc and GFM_P90D
Pleasantly surprised to see website update to "delivery window is May 21, 2016 - June 4, 2016". Still showing in production.

Wall charger being installed today. Crossing fingers that we get it in time to take on vacation. This waiting, watching, preparing process has been both stressful and fun. The closest thing I can compare it to is having a baby on the way.

Ordered: 4/13
Confirmed: 4/20
VIN Assigned: 4/21
Production 5/7

Looks like we went to production on the same day. Hopefully my delivery window gets updated soon too.

I think there are a couple things at play here - (i) post-refresh Model S demand is probably quite high, which is causing delays and (ii) Model X production issues appear to be getting sorted out so Model X might be taking up more slots in the production line compared to the past few months. Total speculation.

Just rec'd this email today from my DS. Keep in mind, I have been confirmed with a Model X since January until I switched to a Model S two weeks ago -- my patience is truly being tested :):

I just wanted to check-in at this point in the process to see if you had any questions or concerns at this point in time. Your Model S will likely begin production sometime in the next three weeks or so! I will let you know as soon as I see your vehicle in production.

I had an email from my DS today, although we're supposed to have a more detailed discussion soon. It seems like my S will be onsite on May 29th prepped for delivery June 2nd or 3rd.

Model S 90D
Order date: 4/12/2016
Order confirmed: 4/19
VIN assigned: 4/19
Estimated delivery window: May/Early June
VIN: 1397XX

That said, the website isn't showing any change in status - still says May/Early June.

Reactions: LAN1017
Just rec'd this email today from my DS. Keep in mind, I have been confirmed with a Model X since January until I switched to a Model S two weeks ago -- my patience is truly being tested :):

I just wanted to check-in at this point in the process to see if you had any questions or concerns at this point in time. Your Model S will likely begin production sometime in the next three weeks or so! I will let you know as soon as I see your vehicle in production.
Congrats on the switch.

Considering you just switched a couple weeks ago, you seem to be on track.

Although you had a Model X reservation, that wouldn't have any bearing on a new custom Model S order going into their system.

Unfortunately looks like you'll have to wait along with the rest of us.

What we're your reasons for changing from the X to the S?

Order placed 4/27 and order was confirmed as well as Vin assigned on 5/4. My Tesla website states estimated delivery is late May early June. However, my DS emailed me stating that production starts in early to mid June. So not sure whats up. Waiting for this amazing car is brutal!! :(

So my story is a bit unusual. I am 31 years old with incurable cancer that is progressing, and a 1.5 year old son who just had a liver transplant and still needs a kidney transplant. The Tesla Model S was my dream car, and after paying off the house and a few years of saving up we finally had enough money to order the Model S this month. So my wife said to go for it.

When we went to the Tesla store the sales guy ironically happened to be a guy my wife and I went to high school with and had already been following our story. Him and his manager hooked us up with all kinds of swag for me and my son before we even ordered the car. He has also worked hard with the delivery guy to get our car moved up in the production line, which he did since ours entered production last week. They said we will get ours before most of the showrooms even do.

The delivery guy said that it should be in production for about a week, and then they are trying to arrange for a truck to deliver the car to Chicago. He said that if a truck is available it should take less than a week to deliver it (so I'd probably get it next week), or about 2.5 weeks if they have to do it by train.

Needless to say they are pulling all kinds of strings to try and get us the car as soon as possible. We ordered a Model S 90D fully loaded (except for the extra seats).

To top it all off they gave us a red Model S P90D to drive a week ago for a few days, and they are giving it to us again for this weekend while we wait for ours to be delivered (they are going to try and give us the one Model X that they have, but aren't sure if that will be available). I didn't ask for them to do any of this... they volunteered it. They told me to put as many miles on it as we want as long as it comes back with at least a mile left on the battery.

Order date: 4/13
Confirmation/VIN date: 4/21
Production started: 4/28

My estimated delivery date on the website is still May/Early June, but they said May 31st should be the latest I'd get it (as long as there is no unforeseen issues). I know this is an expensive car, but I'm still blown away by how awesome everyone at Tesla has been.

So my DS said that he has been pestering their logistics team to make sure I get the car as soon as possible. It is already on their fastest train route, but did say that it may stop in New Mexico to rearrange the train cars so it may take a few extra days. He said he is expecting it no later than May 23rd.

He also said that they have been reading about our story on Facebook and have seen us on the news. So they want us to pick up the car after hours so that there are no other customers there, and said they are going to do something really special for our son. I have no idea what it is... they have already given him a bunch of swag so I don't know what else they can give him.

Order placed 4/27 and order was confirmed as well as Vin assigned on 5/4. My Tesla website states estimated delivery is late May early June. However, my DS emailed me stating that production starts in early to mid June. So not sure whats up. Waiting for this amazing car is brutal!! :(

Which location will you be taking delivery? My DS is Brian from Buena Park and he is estimating same for me. I ordered a day after you.

Reactions: Jason Shelton
Not that it matters to most, but it makes me feel a little better. I just sorted the spreadsheet on VIN Date and filtered for California and out of 18 cars destined for California, only one had entered production - and that one was early April. So I still think "local" delivery will take last place during this production cycle.
I'm in california.... I hope I'm with those 18 cars. Sooner the better!

Reactions: NikeWings