Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you! I liked the darker silver but can always hear my parents saying never to get a dark colored car - hard to keep clean and harder to see at night. This is a hard color to describe. You'll love your car regardless of the color really - and I can't even see the exterior color from inside - so enjoy what you ordered! It'll look great! What color did you settle on?

Dark colored cars also absorb more heat in the summer and lose heat faster in the winter. If you are out on a night when it's just beginning to get cold enough for frost to form, you will see the dark cars form frost before the light cars do.

I've noticed a difference in the sun between black cars and white cars.

Between the keeping clean thing and the heat loss/absorption issue, I've been driving white cars since the mid-80s. My SO was a little happier that I went with the pearl white instead of plain white on my Model S.

Dark colored cars also absorb more heat in the summer and lose heat faster in the winter.

There was an article I read about a year ago indicating that the color of the car could impact the efficiency of your vehicle. Basically for this reason, that darker colored vehicles needed more HVAC usage so reduced the mileage of an ICE. I assume this would impact an EV the same way. I'm not sure if you have the pano roof if this matters as much though, would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

I got confirmed on 7/4, VIN 150XXX on 7/5, with delivery scheduled for August - Early September. Just got an auto-email from my DS so checked My Tesla page and is now showing delivery for "Late July - August". Hope it's closer to Late July than August, I'm running out of posts to read. :)

Again madly jealous. I have read every TMC post. I got VIN 6/28 exact same range as you, ordered a 60, but because I live in FL it says Late Aug-Sept. Will it really take that long to make it to FL?!?!?

Confirmed S60D June 28
Entered Production June 30
Estimated Delivery July 17-31
Massachusetts, VIN just barely less than 150k

Confirmed same day but a 60, no D. With Vin barely over 150k, maybe that's the difference bc I didn't spring for the AWD.

i was

i was confirmed on the same day and still no production.. did you get an email or My Tesla page?

Masti I'm in same boat as you, which model did u order?

BigAirHarper, My Telsa still shows my delivery as late Aug-Sept like yours does. The status is that it is in the production queue, as yours likely is also. So probably the main difference is the transit time because I believe my delivery is by truck, and yours will be by train?

Trains suck then. Hahahahaha

All, on average, what is lead time for MS entering production after VIN has been assigned?

They claim 5 weeks on the "delivery process guide"; however, based on data here... seems to vary. Worth checking the spreadsheet, where owners have put in the dates they got their VIN & other dates related to delivery. Might give you a better idea... Owner of the sheet had created a sheet that had the averages for different blocks but hasn't been updated to more recent data yet.

They claim 5 weeks on the "delivery process guide"; however, based on data here... seems to vary. Worth checking the spreadsheet, where owners have put in the dates they got their VIN & other dates related to delivery. Might give you a better idea... Owner of the sheet had created a sheet that had the averages for different blocks but hasn't been updated to more recent data yet.
Thanks Java. Will check it out!

Reactions: javawolfpack
There was an article I read about a year ago indicating that the color of the car could impact the efficiency of your vehicle. Basically for this reason, that darker colored vehicles needed more HVAC usage so reduced the mileage of an ICE. I assume this would impact an EV the same way. I'm not sure if you have the pano roof if this matters as much though, would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

The pano roof probably has more impact than the color, but both would have an effect. My car would probably be a good test subject for one of them. I have a white car with body color roof. Two cars would have to be out in the sun side by side and start at the same temperature, then cooled to the same temperature while driving under the same conditions, same speed, etc.

Thank you! I liked the darker silver but can always hear my parents saying never to get a dark colored car - hard to keep clean and harder to see at night. This is a hard color to describe. You'll love your car regardless of the color really - and I can't even see the exterior color from inside - so enjoy what you ordered! It'll look great! What color did you settle on?

I ordered "midnight silver", which looks very black on the web site, but in RL less so. At least I think that's true.

I definitely should have gotten the titanium though. ;-) Oh well, next time!

Reactions: ploon94
I ordered "midnight silver", which looks very black on the web site, but in RL less so. At least I think that's true.

I definitely should have gotten the titanium though. ;-) Oh well, next time!
That was my first choice...but was sure it was too dark to keep clean down here in Atlanta. All this pollen and stuff would make me feel like I need to wash it constantly. It'll blend better with the Titanium. lol

That was my first choice...but was sure it was too dark to keep clean down here in Atlanta. All this pollen and stuff would make me feel like I need to wash it constantly. It'll blend better with the Titanium. lol
I was at the Decatur SC and they had a pair of Midnight Silver cars next to each other, one clean and shiny and one dirty. Seeing them side by side made me skip that color.

All, on average, what is lead time for MS entering production after VIN has been assigned?
Barring an unforseen issue during final inspection I will take delivery 32 or 33 days after I placed a deposit and 25 or 26 days after VIN assignment.
Ordered: 6/12/2016
Confirmed & VIN assigned: 6/19/2016
Production Start: 6/27/2016
In transit: 7/3/2016
Arrived @ SC: 7/9/2016
Delivered: 7/14/2016 or 7/15/2016
60D with NextGen seats. I picked Blue but my wife over rode that decision and selected Midnight Silver.

Barring an unforseen issue during final inspection I will take delivery 32 or 33 days after I placed a deposit and 25 or 26 days after VIN assignment.
Ordered: 6/12/2016
Confirmed & VIN assigned: 6/19/2016
Production Start: 6/27/2016
In transit: 7/3/2016
Arrived @ SC: 7/9/2016
Delivered: 7/14/2016 or 7/15/2016
60D with NextGen seats. I picked Blue but my wife over rode that decision and selected Midnight Silver.

You're 3 to 4 days before me in every category (except production start, which I'm not sure of).

I'm in Toronto, though, and my delivery window is still showing July 25 - August 8. I'm jealous of your Live Free or Die attitude and prompt delivery--how can it take less time to get to NH than to Ontario? Should be the same. But my window is not saying July 17 - July 31 yet. :-(

Your 6 day transit time does give me hope though.

Do you know if your car went by train to Chicago, then truck to NH? (Mine is doing the train->Chicago; truck->Toronto route.)

Mine moved to "in transit" on July 6 so hopefully it will arrive at the SC in the next few days if your example is predictive. If so, I might get it a week earlier than the delivery window they're currently telling me.

Don't feel bad Canadian neighbor. I confirmed on 26 June and my car remains in production (entered on 6 July) with a possible transit date of this weekend. DS said today in a face-to-face meeting that I might have delivery between 9-15 August. Website says delivery in "late July-August" and nothing else as in it doesn't even confirm it's in production. The MyTesla site is pretty useless to me at this point. Sounds like my ride will come to Virginia via the Panama Canal.

• Funny
Reactions: BigAirHarper
You're 3 to 4 days before me in every category (except production start, which I'm not sure of).

I'm in Toronto, though, and my delivery window is still showing July 25 - August 8. I'm jealous of your Live Free or Die attitude and prompt delivery--how can it take less time to get to NH than to Ontario? Should be the same. But my window is not saying July 17 - July 31 yet. :-(

Your 6 day transit time does give me hope though.

Do you know if your car went by train to Chicago, then truck to NH? (Mine is doing the train->Chicago; truck->Toronto route.)

Mine moved to "in transit" on July 6 so hopefully it will arrive at the SC in the next few days if your example is predictive. If so, I might get it a week earlier than the delivery window they're currently telling me.

We both are pretty much exactly the same time of ordering, etc.

When I checked my Tesla on 7/9 around 5PM it finally mentioned in Transit and the dates updated to July 16-July 30th. 3 hours later it was July 30-Aug-13. However, since the DS first contacted me she has mentioned a target delivery date at SC on 7/27. Let's see what she says now that it is in transit.

How do you know your car is on the way to Chicago by train and then truck? I dont have that information.

I really wanted my car by 7/29 so I could take it on my trip :( Now I'm going to have to rent a car since my trade-in happens a week before due to the Alliant rate.

I think Tesla expedited my car to reduce the server load due to the number of times I hit refresh on the MyTesla site :)

I'm jealous of your Live Free or Die attitude and prompt delivery--how can it take less time to get to NH than to Ontario?
Maybe your car is taking the same path that Paddle-to-the-Sea took , but for your sake I hope not.
For those wondering about the obscure reference: Map of the Week: Paddle-to-the-Sea is on Google Earth!

I don't really know much about how my car got from CA to the SC in Dedham, MA. Up until it arrived in Dedham the DS's there basically only giving me the info as shown on the MyTesla site. Who told you how your vehicle was transported?