Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery on Monday but felt bad not circling back with the group here after we bonded and waited together. :)

Took the front plate off in less than 10 minutes. Hardest part was getting my tall 6'4 self down there.

Next: tint, paint the garage and garage floor!
That black looks beautiful! I got to it a few days after delivery but took that front plate off as well. It looks so much better. The plate bracket just looks out of place on this car

Reactions: Cnasty
Congrats H2O!

Hoping for a Saturday delivery out here... The car is on a truck! Huzzah!

IMG_0072.PNG

Hello it's me again, the guy who always posts about still being in the production que.

I am unfortunately feeling the need to now gather information and discuss options with Tesla regarding the timeline of my car.

Has anyone been in the production que longer than 53 days? Only include stateside orders that requested earliest delivery. If there was an issue that caused a delay please explain. If you waited this long or longer and was not given a reason, please state as such.

Of course orders placed in 2012/2013 took longer so I am looking for orders placed as close to June/July 2016 as possible.

This information will help me present my case.

I checked the spreadsheet under the July/August/September deliveries and looks like I hold the record except those who requested a later delivery date and those overseas.

Edit: So far I have no MVPA with an estimated delivery date. When I ordered in July the deliveries were Late August/September. I suppose if I get my car September 30 then they were true to their word, even though that would make the order-delivery process totaling about 90 days. That's interesting when the average has been 41 days in the U.S. and 32 in California.

I guess I drew the short straw in this process? Just shear bad luck?

Last edited:
Hello it's me again, the guy who always posts about still being in the production que.

I am unfortunately feeling the need to now gather information and discuss options with Tesla regarding the timeline of my car.

Has anyone been in the production que longer than 53 days? Only include stateside orders that requested earliest delivery. If there was an issue that caused a delay please explain. If you waited this long or longer and was not given a reason, please state as such.

Of course orders placed in 2012/2013 took longer so I am looking for orders placed as close to June/July 2016 as possible.

This information will help me present my case.

Buddy, I was 53 days from confirmation to production start. Four days later it was ready for pickup. It feels lousy to be the perceived last in your pack to have delivery (I felt the same :mad:), but CA deliveries tend to be the later deliveries due to their swift truck delivery time. If you were confirmed 7/10 (per your sig), you are sitting at 46 days. Don't take it personally and KTF!!!

EDIT - I was a Q2 delivery and FWIW my gut told me the NGG seats were the cause but no one was really "in the know" . At the end of this painful wait, you'll have a custom made car in ~60 days......how awesome is that!

Last edited:
I've seen the spreadsheet. I know it's frustrating and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, but they run the lines, so they know best. As frustrating as it is (I've been through it myself but got lucky), there's really nothing you can do as long as they're still meeting the promised window.

I checked the spreadsheet under the July/August/September deliveries and looks like I hold the record except those who requested a later delivery date and those overseas.

Edit: So far I have no MVPA with an estimated delivery date. When I ordered in July the deliveries were Late August/September. I suppose if I get my car September 30 then they were true to their word, even though that would make the order-delivery process totaling about 90 days. That's interesting when the average has been 41 days in the U.S. and 32 in California.

I guess I drew the short straw in this process? Just shear bad luck?

As always, let me know what you hear when you contact them. I've refreshed the MyTesla page at least 10 times in the last 2 hours hoping to finally see a change.....but no luck. I've also been refreshing this page constantly to see if you've entered production since I anticipate we will enter at the same time.

I'm getting mentally exhausted by this wait....ugh

It seems unwise to judge order progress by the spreadsheet data since these are just a few of the several hundreds of orders under production. We have seen reported here all types of statistical analysis of this data ...all leading to nothing useful. You were advised to expect delivery in Late August/September. It is difficult to understand what there is to complain about at this time. Let the process work while you otherwise enjoy life.;)

Reactions: dehydratedH2O
@Hojo I'm using all the data available me but I understand it's a small piece of the puzzle.

Even if 5,10, or 15 cars of the exact same build are ordered after me yet delivered before me, I am feeing the need for a reason why.

I'm not saying Tesla has broken contract. It's legal for them to hold my build this long but I wanted to know why and being told I'm "right on track" just isn't accurate.

I was also told 4-6 weeks delivery from order by my Owner Advisor. I'm in week 7 now and since I haven't started production I'm sure I'll double his shorter timeline.

Don't worry yourself Buddy. I actually ordered before you for delivery out of the same service center (Costa Mesa). Judging from the spreadsheet, my order has been a little screwy from the start. I ordered June 29, confirmed July 6, but did not get my Vin until July 17. My tesla page has always stated that delivery would be late August - September. That said, I entered production today.

S60
Obsidian Black
Tan Next Gen Seats
AP
Premium Interior

For what it's worth, I did not go or the Obeche wood, so I don't think that is your delay. My DS shot straight with me and said they bump up the more loaded cars with the 150k price tags, so cars like mine tend to take longer. I recall yours being an S60, so maybe that's what slowed you down. You'll get your car, try not to stress too much.

Buddy, I first want to say that I hear you, and when I was sitting at 36 days from Conf -> Prod Start I was totally felling the same thing, you are not crazy, lol! Once you know all these people are "jumping line" it feels bad that you are still sitting there.... Sucks, but keep these things in mind:

1. The standard way to measure is Confirmation -> Production Start (you are at 46 days, totally sucks, lol)
2. but.... California cars can be built and delivered in 4-7 days.
3. Given your estimated delivery timeframe Late Aug / September, I would guess that they originally planned you to start production this week.
4. Other cars are getting pulled forward in delivery because they match some existing factory configuration that makes it easier to manufacture than yours.

They haven't forgotten you, I will bet that you start this weekend and have your car by labor day.

p.s. alternate plan: tell your DS that you have an international business trip that just came up and you are leaving on the 17th... and you are afraid that if the car is not ready by then, that you won't be able to take delivery until October ;-)

I've been watching your story and I feel bad because I haven't had any delays in production - confirmed an S60 on 8/3 and finished production on 8/22 - now in transit. I'm on the east coast, so I'm in for a longer delivery wait (9/14-9/26), but otherwise I've had no delays. I do hope your situation gets resolved very soon - I can't imagine it's not generating an exception flag somewhere in Tesla...

Reactions: Buddy
Odebek your post is logical. I am in the military so I travel frequently and will most likely not be able to make the delivery appointment if it doesn't come fairly soon.

Hey Buddy, thank you for your service. When I picked up my car, the facility techs toured me around their shop and back lot. They were especially proud of their domain pointing out all kinds of interesting bits. In the far back corner, with ropes around it, was a beautiful midnight silver S. They told me it was for a soldier unexpectedly delayed in Iraq by another 6 months and they kept the car inside to remind themselves everyday of his service. They are planning a small celebration upon his eventual return.

Picked up mine yesterday. I am very particular about quality specially for such an expensive machine my expectations were very high.
But my delivery experience was not pleasant one and in fact i controlled myself from an angry meltdown.
1. Car was not properly cleaned. Too many water spots everywhere and still there was water not dried. It looks like they simply removed the wrap from transportation, washed and wiped with some dirty cloth.
2. Driver seat was dirty with dirt marks in several places.
2. Driver door had a dent at the bottom. Even if it happened in transportation what kind of inspection did the delivery center do ?
3. Lot of dark smudges (DS says its glue but how would i know ?) on pano roof , door trims, door. I couldnt figure out whats a paint defect and whats not until i really rub each spot.
4. Paint on the hood had circular scratches like when you use a dirty cloth it makes those scratches. similar lines on the trunk. I could only find these when i see the trunk under very shiny light of the showroom. There may be more areas like this but the light is needed and i will recheck on friday when they do detailing again.
5. Lot of areas out of alignment. Hood, Frunk, doors probably more and i will be rechecking again tomorrow once they do detail on my car again.

There is more to the list but i will stop here.

Did i still take the delivery ? YES I DID.
Why ? Tesla promised to take care of everything.
Did that make me happy ? A little but i was worried about what else may be broken or i missed to find during the delivery.
Tomorrow i am getting the car detailed once again by Tesla Service center, this time they promised to do a thorough job.

Its going back to service center on Sep23rd. I am trusting Tesla to do a better job this time. Fingers crossed.

I don't want bring up being military to Tesla at this point because I don't want them sort of "guilted" into going out of their way. I'm just a normal customer expected normal treatment.

Awesome to hear their appreciation. I'm so lucky to be in while the country supports us. I have the utmost respect for Vietnam vets. They are a class all on their own.
Oh I wasn't suggesting any guilt action. But I loved learning about it and thought you would too.
And I think every military veteran, now and former, is in a class all their own.

Reactions: Chopr147 and Buddy