Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2) The door chrome matching issue is present in my vehicle. Not really a huge concern though. Noted that at delivery and my DS said he'd be calling me to have it brought in to be fixed.

What is this? I am taking delivery on 12/8 -- what should i look for and tell my DS? Can you elaborate on the door chrome issue? Also by feature disabling you mean auto pilot?

Wrote an article to highlight the nuances of the ordering / production process. Feel free to give feedback (did I miss anything major?) and will be adding to this over time.

What to Expect Before Delivery
@bswn1, thanks for the link. The article says "Be sure to bring the helpful checklist the Tesla community has put together."
Do you know where I can find this helpful checklist?

That is quick! Other than the test drive, I think the fastest I've ever been in a car was in my Pantera before I, umm, "damaged it". <grin> I think that car was probably running high 11's at that time. I suspect the Tesla will be quicker out of the hole than your cars, (at least on street tires), and probably for quite a distance as well? Your cars must have had trap speeds in the 130's or high 120's? It would then seem for you that the acceleration won't be quite as shocking, (no pun intended), as it is or will be for the rest of us. LOL

Wrote an article to highlight the nuances of the ordering / production process. Feel free to give feedback (did I miss anything major?) and will be adding to this over time.

What to Expect Before Delivery

Good Write Up. I would have loved to find something like this as I started my wait. One thing you might mention is the My Tesla page and specifically the "Please complete the following tasks to prepare for your Tesla delivery".

When I saw bright red "!" indicators next to payment and trade-in, I jumped right on those missing items only to find out I was too early.Financing approval is only valid for 30 days, so you should wait at least until your car is in production to apply. Otherwise you'll just have to repeat the process later. And I thought something was wrong when it just said "preparing offer" next to trade-in, so I followed up to get an offer only to learn that it is only valid for 7 days. The My Tesla page says complete everything within 14 days of receiving the offer, but I was told 7 is the current magic number. Feels a bit weird for Tesla to highlight items that don't need attention yet, but that appears to be the case.

Another point that might be worth making is that Tesla will send emails as the car moves through the process but you can often see progress on the My Tesla page before the email arrives. And it is a great resource for those who do not get an email. As an example, your VIN will appear next to "Model S" right below the picture of the car. There have been a few threads where that appeared not to be well known. For those who haven't received an email and are wondering if something is wrong, you can go to the web and see your car's VIN and know if it has been assigned.

And most likely know this, but you could also add in a link to the charger and a note that there is often a 1-2 week delay.

Great job.

Good Write Up. I would have loved to find something like this as I started my wait. One thing you might mention is the My Tesla page and specifically the "Please complete the following tasks to prepare for your Tesla delivery".

When I saw bright red "!" indicators next to payment and trade-in, I jumped right on those missing items only to find out I was too early.Financing approval is only valid for 30 days, so you should wait at least until your car is in production to apply. Otherwise you'll just have to repeat the process later. And I thought something was wrong when it just said "preparing offer" next to trade-in, so I followed up to get an offer only to learn that it is only valid for 7 days. The My Tesla page says complete everything within 14 days of receiving the offer, but I was told 7 is the current magic number. Feels a bit weird for Tesla to highlight items that don't need attention yet, but that appears to be the case.

Another point that might be worth making is that Tesla will send emails as the car moves through the process but you can often see progress on the My Tesla page before the email arrives. And it is a great resource for those who do not get an email. As an example, your VIN will appear next to "Model S" right below the picture of the car. There have been a few threads where that appeared not to be well known. For those who haven't received an email and are wondering if something is wrong, you can go to the web and see your car's VIN and know if it has been assigned.

And most likely know this, but you could also add in a link to the charger and a note that there is often a 1-2 week delay.

Great job.

Great points will update the article accordingly with these insights. Thank you!

Greetings TMC. This is my first post. I'm excited to join your community as I just ordered a dark gray S 90D with the UW seats on Friday. I'm really excited but I have to say I'm disappointed with the misinformation on delivery dates put forth by the ordering website. When I submitted my order, it said "late December delivery". I paid my deposit and confirmed my order forfeiting my 7 day change period. The next day, I received notice that the delivery date is now "late Jan early Feb". Ok, that sucks for me, but the website is still advertising late December delivery evening when configuring a car with exactly the same options. That seems like deliberate misinformation to me.

I'm really excited but I have to say I'm disappointed with the misinformation on delivery dates put forth by the ordering website. When I submitted my order, it said "late December delivery". I paid my deposit and confirmed my order forfeiting my 7 day change period. The next day, I received notice that the delivery date is now "late Jan early Feb". Ok, that sucks for me, but the website is still advertising late December delivery evening when configuring a car with exactly the same options. That seems like deliberate misinformation to me.

Same happened to me as well. However after 2-3 days of confirmation and VIN assignment, the estimated delivery went from "Jan early Feb" to "Dec early Jan". My guess is that your car will build in December. The question is how long it will take to get to you.