Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have yet to finalize the delivery location and date. Today my DS emailed me that the car will be available for pickup as early as the 22nd at Palo Alto, but I asked whether it's possible for me to go directly to Fremont and pick it up a few days earlier. He hasn't gotten back yet.

Everything went pretty smoothly for me; the DS was very helpful and responsive. Around the time I ordered my vehicle, Tesla premium seats became available for 90D, which I wasn't able to choose at the time of order. I requested a change of configuration and the DS helped me with it. There seems to be some sort of confusion on the payment method (they thought I was requesting a loan through their partners, which I'm not), but it's still before delivery and will probably get sorted out relatively easily.

I'm excited (and a bit nervous) about what's going to become my first car ever!

Timeline: Nov 10 ordered, Nov 18 confirmed, Dec 13 started production, Dec 22 tentative delivery date.

Got my MS60 last night - exactly one month from when I ordered it. It's a great car, but as I was in the showroom, it started to really snow. So I got my brand new, shiny car, and pulled out to sit in traffic for half an hour! I had envisioned a power cruise through downtown and winding up lake shore drive, but that wasn't in the cards.

Since it was so crummy out, I didn't even get any pics. A couple notes though:
- I didn't get the D and all I have now are the all season tires. We got about 2 inches of slushy snow and it handled absolutely fine. Definitely a rwd vehicle, but in no way was the situation unacceptable.
- I don't have the software update that came out last weekend. This kind of stinks. They should have some way to push that at delivery. So, I have an $80,000 car for which I have to manually control the headlights.
- They say the app takes 24-48 hours to connect to your car, but mine connected by the time I was home. Very cool to preheat the car from the family room.
- The charger was a little sticky or something so the first couple times I plugged it in I got the flashing orange light. Little panic attack, but then I redid the whole process and it went green. Very glad I went with the 50A/240V install.

I took my family for a slow speed, snow crippled spin and they all were busting. I picked my buddy up for a ride and he said it's like going for a ride in an x wing fighter. It's an awesome car, and I'm really looking forward to being able to wring it out a little. But they have to get that update out. And same goes for the EAP update. My Subaru has auto lights, adaptive cruise, and lane maintenance assist, etc. I'm sure a guy who can launch a rocket into space and then land it on a barge in the ocean at night can figure out autopilot, but I'm definitely restless!

I'm so pumped to take my 60D out in the snow. Bring it on! oh yea, I need to get those winter tires/wheels. God I am way overspending my budget on this car but it will be the safest car money can buy and you can't put a price on your family's safety (or can you?).

IMG_1132.JPG
Well, here she is. Got the full factory tour, which was pretty impressive. Loving this car thus far.

FWIW I got notification from My Tesla that my that my car was in production on 12-14-2016. I just got the email today, three days later.
I got my email about an hour after I first noticed my car entered production. I checked when I woke up at ~3am PST and my car wasn't in production. Checked again at ~4:30am PST and the car was in production. Got the email at 5:21am PST.

It's weird that everyone has such different experiences. I also always get a response from my DS in under 2 business hours which seems to differ from the general community experience.

I got my email about an hour after I first noticed my car entered production. I checked when I woke up at ~3am PST and my car wasn't in production. Checked again at ~4:30am PST and the car was in production. Got the email at 5:21am PST.

It's weird that everyone has such different experiences. I also always get a response from my DS in under 2 business hours which seems to differ from the general community experience.
I saw a bunch of cars being assembled at the factory, wonder if one of them was yours :)

Look over your car very closely when picking up. I picked mine up from the factory on Thursday, and I noticed weather stripping not completely in place and asked about it, and was told "oh, that's normal." Assuming the person giving me the keys knows more about what's normal or not, I dismissed it. It's super busy at the factory right now, so you're kind of shuffled through in a group to get your car. I drove off without testing things or looking at details. I was kind of excited to finally get my car! :)

The first time put the car into drive after having it parked, the driver side mirror opened half way. The 2nd time I drove it, it actually fell off. Neither mirror angles down when going into reverse. This was a pretty frustrating experience, so when I got home I gave it a really good look-over and noticed quite a lot of inconsistencies in the lines of the car where various panels or lights come together. There was a scratch in the trunk plastic, and a small window ding/chip in the windshield.

I suppose I don't know what is "normal" for Tesla, but coming from BMW, the lines and material stitching are nowhere near as clean. My guess is that the factory is under pressure to push cars out by the end of the year, and it's showing in the product.

I was able to get the car into a service center today, and was told by the service center that they usually have 20 service technicians, but right now they only have about 9 because the Fremont factory has taken the others. My guess is to fix the glitches.