Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you Tim for doing this. My first reaction was to resist this, because the wiki seemed to be working well, but you've done a fine job and of course the FORM entry is a lot easier for most people.

Yeah, I was hesitant about posting it at first, but they I realized how much it sucks to maintain bbcode, especially as this list grows to hundreds and thousands of cars. Plus, there was one for the Roadster, so it's about time we had one for the S!

I put up your change about the form. Good suggestion!

I think I ordered a unicorn? Red, Black Perf Interior, Lacewood, 21" silver wheels, paint armor, no spoiler, HPWC. I suspect the Black Perf interior of some batching delays and lacewood for the other delays. Other parts shouldn't have been an issue. HPWC is known late arrival but I won't need it for about a month after car arrives. And even then... I might've been able to do without it altogether, it was a convenience item.

I think your thinking is sound on the items that could have caused the delay, but who could know? And anyway, once you get it, this really won't matter too much, but having it the way you wanted will.

I doubt that the HPWC is delaying anyone. I think it will be delivered later when it is ready. My own personal headache is that SMUD may have difficulty providing 20 KW charging in my relatively old neighborhood where the distribution equipment may be 60 years old and they are dodging so many big trees. I might have to drop back to NEMA 14-50 and be satisfied with that for awhile.

Here is to your unicorn arriving soon!

excellent job Tim!
I added some charts to visualize the spread of reservation numbers by delivery date ranges. Interesting to see the batching effect members have commented on.

We could add a sheet with a 'calculator' of production & delivery speeds; and another 'calculator' for 'when may i get it' (based on e.g. a simple extrapolation)

Do you hear this? Do you really hear this?? The 35dB whisper quiet cacaphone of hundreds of Tesla reservation holders - THREE YEAR reservation holders - getting The Email. The one they have had so much fun awaiting for years. This is it. The watershed moment when a Model S goes from a few betas - where stores all over the country don't even have a car to test drive, to hundreds across the country. After three years and a coffee mug and a toy Tesla radio controlled car, the Model S is really taking to the the streets, all in a few weeks. I have never seen a Model S on the road. I have never seen an alpha. And I live in Boston (not excatly remote) and I am an avid fan, stock holder, reservation holder. So think about all the people who have heard of the Model S who are about jump out of their skin when they see one cruising Highway Five, or Route 95, or the Florida Turnpike in a few weeks. Everything is about to change. Including our brooding over TMC at 1225am to find out if there's a service plan yet, if a store may open soon in the New England area, if anyone might have a picture of the pacific blue color with a pano roof, or the lacewood with the tan leather. Or a new idea for the console. You see, it's not about getting my car - not totally - its about Tesla flying, EVs taking off like never before, and all of us out driving our Model S - most of us in a few short months - As the world watches and says "- hmmm. That's pretty cool...". And suddenly it is a slightly different world and Elon (how cool is Elon?) has helped each one of us make our own little dent in this universe. It'll be different now, very soon. We'll miss the wait and thrill in the drive. I remember the first time I saw the Model S online. Didn't exist yet. It was a clay model. But here comes Bonnie's and Mike M's and Dadaleus' and Nigel's and Ben's and...ours. So when that email finally comes my way - oh sure I'll be ready to ride - but The Journey has already been electrifying. Keep the stampeding delivery announcements coming! Yahoo!

Wooohoooo! Outstanding--couldn't have said it better. Your post has fully restored my excitement (I've been WAY too caught up in the out of order delivery--done with that now). Thanks for this post--the big picture is what it's all about!

David

Wooohoooo! Outstanding--couldn't have said it better. Your post has fully restored my excitement (I've been WAY too caught up in the out of order delivery--done with that now). Thanks for this post--the big picture is what it's all about!

David

Yes. It's easy to get caught up in the exact delivery sequence and totally understandable while someone would be upset with someone a 400 spots behind them getting their car first but by next year, hopefully that memory will be replaced with the joy of driving the Model S.

My car is still scheduled for Sunday. A friend in Austin with a SSL number lower than mine is getting his tomorrow.

Agreed. I have been waiting for so long, checking this damn site virtually every day. Now that I have my delivery window the days can't go by fast enough. I feel like a 6 year old waiting for Santa to drop down the chimney. All the negative posts lately about the service plan and out of sequence deliveries won't get me down. To those who say Santa does not exist, I say to you that you will not ruin my Tesla high. The world is about to change and I will be on the front line, leading the charge.

Agreed. I have been waiting for so long, checking this damn site virtually every day. Now that I have my delivery window the days can't go by fast enough. I feel like a 6 year old waiting for Santa to drop down the chimney. All the negative posts lately about the service plan and out of sequence deliveries won't get me down. To those who say Santa does not exist, I say to you that you will not ruin my Tesla high. The world is about to change and I will be on the front line, leading the charge.

Right there with ya, brother!

Actually, the Blue S was only at the DC store for a brief special event and is now "permanently" at the White Plains, NY store as their test drive car.
Furthermore, as of this afternoon the DC store has NO test drive vehicle as Julia is taking their only one left to Long Island this afternoon for their new store grand opening.
So, now 3 stores in the NY vicinity and still none in the Philly area? They seem to have delayed the King of Prussia store opening for some reason. Cannot get an updated status either.
However, Nick from the Manhattan service center is moving to KofP soon to at least get the new service center open here. Hurray!

I was so disappointed when I read this. I never knew the blue Model S was in the DC store. non-perf/no pano is part of my config and it would bhave been nice to see it in person.

I'll be right there with you. Can't wait to go charging off to rally the troops!

Received my delivery window call today:

S#945

Oct 14-28, Delivery at the factory (SF Bay Area)
No VIN yet.

Sig Performance
Signature red color
Tan performance interior, CF Decor
Pano roof
21" silver wheels
No paint armor
No rear jump seats
No spoiler

Psyched!

/Mitch.

Yesterday I decided I wasn't going to look at this thread anymore because it was really bumming me out that I hadn't received my call...Well, today, I'm back on because we finally got the call and email:

Sig #965 - no VIN

Oct 14- 28
Red (non-performance)
Tan
Lacewood
Pano roof
21" silver wheels

Delivery at home in San Jose...they will take care of registration including application for HOV white sticker (have to give them $8 check made payable to DMV at time of delivery)...we also opted for not having the front license plate installed...

I was so disappointed when I read this. I never knew the blue Model S was in the DC store. non-perf/no pano is part of my config and it would bhave been nice to see it in person.

I was fortunate to have given the blue non-performance when in DC a couple of weeks ago. It had the tan leather. I never considered the tan until I saw this combination, and it was quite attractive.

It will probably be what I order...or silver/black...or black/black. :D

Got the call and email today:
Sig #592 - VIN ending in 7993 (?!?! I think this is just a fill-in number)

Oct 7-21
Red Perf
Black
Lacewood
Pano
21" Silver wheel

Delivery to Roseville, CA.

And they get the license plate, etc. HOV wasn't on the questionnaire, I'll follow up about that.

Just got the eagerly awaited email last night at 11:26! Delivery to take place between 10/7 and 10/21 (2012 I assume :smile:). Home delivery to Long Beach, Ca.
Signature Performance
Silver Paint
All Glass Panoramic Roof
Rear Carbon Fiber Spoiler
21" Grey Wheels
Black Performance Interior
Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
85 kWh Battery
Tech Package
Sound Studio Package
Active Air Suspension
Rear Facing Seats
Parcel Shelf
Twin Chargers

Sig #481. Time to break the piggy bank!

How exciting DSM! Congrats!

Ditto DSM!

And suddenly it is a slightly different world and Elon (how cool is Elon?) has helped each one of us make our own little dent in this universe. It'll be different now, very soon. We'll miss the wait and thrill in the drive. I remember the first time I saw the Model S online. Didn't exist yet. It was a clay model. But here comes Bonnie's and Mike M's and Dadaleus' and Nigel's and Ben's and...ours. So when that email finally comes my way - oh sure I'll be ready to ride - but The Journey has already been electrifying. Keep the stampeding delivery announcements coming! Yahoo!

I thank you all for the great feedback. To those considering a deposit, those awaiting a configuration date, those awaiting a delivery window (me!), those awaiting delivery - and those ON THE ROAD in your New Model S - keep sharing the stories, feedback, ideas, suggestions, punch-lists, warnings, curses and moments of Glory. Last night, moments after writing the above a friend texted me from LA where he'd just seen his first Model S, on the highway: "Sweet!" he exclaimed. Yep - Sweet. And Sweet is just about to sweep the nation.

I doubt that the HPWC is delaying anyone. I think it will be delivered later when it is ready. My own personal headache is that SMUD may have difficulty providing 20 KW charging in my relatively old neighborhood where the distribution equipment may be 60 years old and they are dodging so many big trees. I might have to drop back to NEMA 14-50 and be satisfied with that for awhile.

You should call your utility and let them know what you're doing. How big is your main breaker?

I don't know about where you live but here it's the responsibility of the power company to provide you with whatever your main breaker is rated for. They just upgraded our transformer to 25kW in anticipation of having 2 HPCs at our house. A 70A plus 80A draw is 34kW but they said it should be OK. On several occasions I had 70A going into our Roadster, and 30A being used in the house, all from an old 15 kW transformer. They said I was lucky I didn't overheat it and blow the fuse up on the pole.

You should call your utility and let them know what you're doing. How big is your main breaker?

I don't know about where you live but here it's the responsibility of the power company to provide you with whatever your main breaker is rated for. They just upgraded our transformer to 25kW in anticipation of having 2 HPCs at our house. A 70A plus 80A draw is 34kW but they said it should be OK. On several occasions I had 70A going into our Roadster, and 30A being used in the house, all from an old 15 kW transformer. They said I was lucky I didn't overheat it and blow the fuse up on the pole.

This was something I did early in the process, and I'd recommend it - even if you don't plan to install the HPWC. My home -- with 200A entrance service -- was served with a 15 kVA transformer that was running at up to 197% of rated capacity during some peak periods. They expressed surprise when I mentioned I didn't have any dimming light problems, etc., on 2/0 aluminum wire with that transformer, and even a 40A load for charging the car was of great concern for them. Last week, we finally got everything together to do an overhaul of my entrance service, replacing the transformer, pulling compact-conductor 350 cable through, replacing the meter base, and changing out an old sub-panel for a second 200A service panel. I also took the opportunity to install an automatic transfer switch and move appropriate circuits so that I had a panel for standby power and a panel for grid-only.

They were wonderful to deal with, mostly because my power company is a local electric co-op... they were curious about the model S, wanted all the details, and even suggested I should bring it by one of the members' meetings next time. It can only help if you give them a call and ask to speak to their local engineers to make sure your infrastructure is up to it.