Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fascinated by the numerology regarding order sequence.

We're #44 of the "R" reservations and haven't been contacted about delivery, but haven't pressed the issue, either. When we were completing the on-line order confirmation, the web feedback said delivery expected in November. Not a week range, simply the month of November.

I've noticed that besides the "#44" listed under "Model S Performance" on our Tesla garage page, there is also a "Reservation Number" listed. Ours is RN003482.

I wonder if the RN sequence has anything to do with delivery order? We placed our Model S reservation on April 12, 2009.

I'm fascinated by the numerology regarding order sequence.

We're #44 of the "R" reservations and haven't been contacted about delivery, but haven't pressed the issue, either. When we were completing the on-line order confirmation, the web feedback said delivery expected in November. Not a week range, simply the month of November.

I've noticed that besides the "#44" listed under "Model S Performance" on our Tesla garage page, there is also a "Reservation Number" listed. Ours is RN003482.

I wonder if the RN sequence has anything to do with delivery order? We placed our Model S reservation on April 12, 2009.

This is has been discussed ad infinitum in the past. The RN sequence number does not have to do with delivery order (directly). It loosely has to do with your reservation number, but after that it has to do with your selected options (including paint) and geography. What are your options? I would expect you'll be hearing any day.

Got the following this morning in response to an email I sent fairly late last night.

Evan,

Great to hear from you. The info that I currently show is 11/1 - 11/15. Not too much of a difference given the fact that production rate will be somewhat high by that point. The delivery windows are to allow for any potential delays in production, transit time from Factory to nearest service locations, PDI window, and finally to your driveway.

We'll be in touch shortly, and we can’t wait to get you your Model S! :)

Seneca
_____

Evan, Via Tapatalk

Last edited:
I talked with the delivery guys at Tesla yesterday about some delivery issues with picking up the car on the west coast I'm trying sort out, and while at I asked about delivery dates for my car (P174). They did have a window for me, Nov 9-23. It looks like batching is continuing up into the R's/P's.

For those watching configurations:

Green, Performance, Black, CF, Pano, Stereo Upgrade, Tech Package, Spoiler, Silver 21", parcel shelf, twin chargers, & HPWC -- Delivery currently is set to MD in their system and the location should be shown as MD for the purpose of the spreadsheet/dates.

Last edited:
Regarding Canadian Signatures - I got an update from an Ownership Experience Advocate at Tesla couple of minutes ago:

"As of right now, our goal is still to deliver the first Canadian cars before the end of this year, so in November or December. I unfortunately cannot get more specific than that, but we still are aiming to deliver Canadian Signatures (like yours) after all of the US Signature cars are delivered. Currently, we are right about half way delivered for US Signature cars."

PatPeter

This is has been discussed ad infinitum in the past. The RN sequence number does not have to do with delivery order (directly). It loosely has to do with your reservation number, but after that it has to do with your selected options (including paint) and geography. What are your options? I would expect you'll be hearing any day.

Performance 85 kWh, blue, body-color roof, 21" silver, tan, carbon fiber, no spoiler, tech pkg, studio sound, parcel shelf, twin chargers, & HPWC.

All Sig's still on track for Oct delivery!
Not so fast...

- - - Updated - - -

Just called Tesla to confirm no front license plate install and they said delivery date info is now available on my car. They are estimating for R113 October 28-November 11th.
Interesting. So some R might be delivered before Signatures. Evidence in my next post...

- - - Updated - - -

S552 just got my call. Delivery window: Oct 22 - Nov 5.

No VIN yet.

So much far "all sigs before November". For the record, I called out November quite a bit back so I'm not surprised. Annoyed yes; surprised no.

Unfortunately like many things Tesla lately, what should be sheer joy (finally got the call) is tempered by somewhat dampered execution.

All Sig's still on track for Oct delivery!

Special Sigs definitely, but I wouldn't say that's the case for regular Sigs. The latest delivery window date we've got is 11/09. That's unlucky S726. But we still have signature holders that still don't even have a delivery window, so I would expect a bunch are going to slip into November. But the good news is that we'll see some R's and P's early next month, so I'm pretty confident about getting my car this year (which is good, because I won't be able to capitalize on the tax credits next year).

- - - Updated - - -

S552 just got my call. Delivery window: Oct 22 - Nov 5.

No VIN yet.

So much far "all sigs before November". For the record, I called out November quite a bit back so I'm not surprised. Annoyed yes; surprised no.

Hey don't be too upset, only 5 days out of your 14 day window are in November. A lot of folks are getting theirs earlier in their window too, so you'll probably see yours this month. Just be proactive and lean on them to push this thing out to delivery as fast as possible. You're giving them $100k, so you can expect good service in return.

Unfortunately like many things Tesla lately, what should be sheer joy (finally got the call) is tempered by somewhat dampered execution.

I think everyone here should realize that Tesla is in a cash crunch (yes, they diluted my stock with their offer to raise up to 250 million in new stock offering, so they are in a cash crunch) and they are probably looking at the numbers and determining what cars can be delivered in the quickest order and are not going to conform to all Sigs delivered before R series deliveries and all R series delivered before P series starts. They need money. Each car delivered is approximately 100k cash. So I would expect them to batch and deliver cars in the quickest possible manner, no matter what the exact order we all think it should be.
My delivery was estimated in November, but if it slips to December, or January or later, and Tesla gets more cash by doing other deliveries prior to mine, yes, I will be jealous of those who get ahead of me. But if that means Tesla is more financially stable because of this, then I am all for it. If Tesla goes away, I get no car. Or if I get my car first and then they go away who will service it?
I am all for Tesla doing what they need to do financially to survive long term.

I think everyone here should realize that Tesla is in a cash crunch (yes, they diluted my stock with their offer to raise up to 250 million in new stock offering, so they are in a cash crunch) and they are probably looking at the numbers and determining what cars can be delivered in the quickest order and are not going to conform to all Sigs delivered before R series deliveries and all R series delivered before P series starts. They need money. Each car delivered is approximately 100k cash. So I would expect them to batch and deliver cars in the quickest possible manner, no matter what the exact order we all think it should be.
My delivery was estimated in November, but if it slips to December, or January or later, and Tesla gets more cash by doing other deliveries prior to mine, yes, I will be jealous of those who get ahead of me. But if that means Tesla is more financially stable because of this, then I am all for it. If Tesla goes away, I get no car. Or if I get my car first and then they go away who will service it?

Totally agree. +1

All well and good as a theory but I don't think Tesla is putting that much thought into it. My delivery window starts in two days and I have configured the most expensive car they can make. I'm doing factory delivery and have a check in hand to give them and I still can't get a firm date of when I can fly up, hand them money and take my car. So, if you really think they are somehow batching the most expensive cars in order to improve their cash flow I think you are mistaken. I think they are just scrambling to get cars delivered in whatever order them come off the line and get approved for customer delivery.

All well and good as a theory but I don't think Tesla is putting that much thought into it. My delivery window starts in two days and I have configured the most expensive car they can make. I'm doing factory delivery and have a check in hand to give them and I still can't get a firm date of when I can fly up, hand them money and take my car. So, if you really think they are somehow batching the most expensive cars in order to improve their cash flow I think you are mistaken. I think they are just scrambling to get cars delivered in whatever order them come off the line and get approved for customer delivery.

No to mention that they've already collected $40,000 of that $100,000+ in advance....

No to mention that they've already collected $40,000 of that $100,000+ in advance....

Too true! They'd actually be better off delivering non-Sigs as quickly as possible because for $100k with $5k deposits they're getting $95k in new revenue. And remember, the $7500 tax credit doesn't impact Tesla's revenue, so they get the full value of the car and only Uncle Sam gets hurt by the tax credit being given to customers.

Too true! They'd actually be better off delivering non-Sigs as quickly as possible because for $100k with $5k deposits they're getting $95k in new revenue. And remember, the $7500 tax credit doesn't impact Tesla's revenue, so they get the full value of the car and only Uncle Sam gets hurt by the tax credit being given to customers.

I don't believe that is the case. Tesla lists the deposits as Liabilities, not assets. I am guessing that even includes the non-refundable part until delivery is made. Not positive about the second part though.

Regarding Canadian Signatures - I got an update from an Ownership Experience Advocate at Tesla couple of minutes ago:

"As of right now, our goal is still to deliver the first Canadian cars before the end of this year, so in November or December. I unfortunately cannot get more specific than that, but we still are aiming to deliver Canadian Signatures (like yours) after all of the US Signature cars are delivered. Currently, we are right about half way delivered for US Signature cars."

PatPeter

Well a vague response is better than nothing. I did try contacting Toronto for an update but got no response. Probably means they don't have any information. Do I have an "Ownership Experience Advocate"? :confused:

People regularly ask me when I'm getting the car. I just shrug.

I don't believe that is the case. Tesla lists the deposits as Liabilities, not assets. I am guessing that even includes the non-refundable part until delivery is made. Not positive about the second part though.
While my understanding is that the deposits are carried as liabilities on the books until delivery, Tesla has made it clear all along that the deposit money can be used as part of their working expense $$.
At least that was my understanding. So I guess the key is whether you're evaluating profitability or working cash.