Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speaking of "celebrity" deliveries (this depends on how much of a nerd you are), but Vic Gundotra got his the other day: https://plus.google.com/107117483540235115863/posts/CXAVargMe7j

Sea Change

A few times in your life, you experience something that you know will forever change your perspective.

Yesterday I took delivery of a Tesla S Sedan. I had that feeling - the car industry will never be the same again.

I've owned many 500 to 600 horsepower cars. So I wasn't prepared to be impressed with the Tesla's performance. Yet I was. This car is scary fast and the torque feels completely linear even at high speeds.

The internal 17 inch display changes how you will interact with your car. It's huge and incredibly intuitive. I kept thinking, why didn't someone else do this first?

Charging it up at home was just like plugging in my phone or laptop. It just seemed obvious.

I also had the privilege of touring the factory - it was amazing to see the robots building these cars. I never believed we'd see manufacturing in the United States, let alone in the heart of Silicon Valley.

More later, but I had to just congratulate the people of +Tesla Motors for attempting to change the world, and I believe, actually doing it.

Well if it makes you feel any better at all, I'm S#69 and still have no idea at all when my car will be arriving. I've had 4 delivery windows come and go, and I haven't heard a thing from a Tesla rep in two weeks. Still completely lost in the dark.

@Jkam - You are not alone having multiple bumps on delivery dates. I am S#448 and have seen a couple tentative dates come and go and share the frustration of seeing similarly configured cars with Res and VIN numbers hundreds after mine being delivered. However, it's all in an effort for Tesla to get our cars right. I finally got some information on my car the other day. It had been reported to me as "in inspection" a few weeks ago, but then the delivery dates were not holding. Come to find out the car had failed one of the inspections (water test) and was put back into some sort of production state to get it fixed. I assume with Tesla's emphasis on quality that this has happened a lot. It's just not something you would broadcast even to the reservation holders. Nobody wants to feel their car isn't perfect even after the necessary repair or parts replacement. I know it's hard, but we need to remain cool. The cars will be here soon and we'll all be happy they took the time to get things right.

Come to find out the car had failed one of the inspections (water test) and was put back into some sort of production state to get it fixed. I assume with Tesla's emphasis on quality that this has happened a lot. It's just not something you would broadcast even to the reservation holders. Nobody wants to feel their car isn't perfect even after the necessary repair or parts replacement.
I can see how some might have that perspective.

Some people don't like to hear bad news. Some prefer to hear the truth, and quickly.

We're at 166 reported deliveries. Obviously, the actual number delivered is much higher. We only represent 1/6th of the total amount of deliveries (roughly).
Is that all...seems like a lot more have been reported than that...thanks though. 6 x 166 = 996 While clearly a VERY rough estimate and likely not accurate, it should suggest we're getting pretty dang close to the of the US Sigs. Sure hope they can get those CN Sigs out fast.

Any one else taking delivery at Tesla HQ (not factory) on Wednesday the 21st? Tesla made it sound like there would be a bunch of us there.

I had originally chosen a home delivery. However, if I take delivery at the "Delivery Event", in Palo Alto, I get my baby before the thanksgiving holiday, and that makes me smile. :biggrin:

S#915 / VIN 997

A number of people have reported getting several delivery windows, i.e., where actual delivery will occur more than 30 days after the original notification. Has the opposite occurred as well? Has anyone had a delivery that was LESS than 30 days after the original notification? I'm just trying to determine whether, if I don't get a delivery window by December 1, I will definitely not get the car this year. Thanks.

A number of people have reported getting several delivery windows, i.e., where actual delivery will occur more than 30 days after the original notification. Has the opposite occurred as well? Has anyone had a delivery that was LESS than 30 days after the original notification? I'm just trying to determine whether, if I don't get a delivery window by December 1, I will definitely not get the car this year. Thanks.

Given that you're within the first thousand Ps, there's a very good chance you'll have your car this year.

To answer your specific question: Yes. Several people have been notified with *much* less notice than 30 days.

I have been corresponding with Grant about other issues (winter tires and rims; windshield wiper concerns etc), but recently sent another e-mail specifically askiing for a production update. Haven't head back yet. My sequence slot probably slipped a bit because I didn't sign the contract until I had a chance to test drive, and as you know, we didn't get to do that in Colorado until late July. But, Tesla should have tried harder to keep deliveries in the original reservation sequence.

In any event, the single e-mail that I received from George B didn't really sit well with me. Considering the premium and large deposit Signature owners made, I would have expected a telephone call with an apology and some explanation as to why they were putting my vehicle at the back of the pack.

I suspect you and I are in the same boat. I signed my Pre-MPVA on June 25th, right after the Fremont Amped event but on July 18th I received a message saying I needed to initial one additional piece of paper. I think the delay is either the paperwork or our first first cars got rejected when inspected and they had to start over. There are reports of that happening too. I am waiting for an explanation from them and I'm OK if reason is they want to get the car right. I would just like them to tell me so I don't feel like the last kid picked in gym class.

Has the opposite occurred as well? Has anyone had a delivery that was LESS than 30 days after the original notification?

Yes. I didn't sign the paperwork until the very end of July (right at the sig cut-off) and my MVPA said October, but on Sept 12 Tesla first contacted me with a window of Sept 17 - Oct 1.

They originally planned for it to get here on Sept 22, but the shipping company failed them. It was delivered on Sept 28, just 16 days after they first contacted me and earlier than my MVPA promised.