Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely good problems. The structure of the Founder's edition seemed a bit ridiculous. Tesla requires the entire $250K upfront years before the car will be produced,... I was tempted to put a $50K deposit down for a roadster in 2017 but I decided to wait. The car is definitely worth it, but the entire $250K upfront is absurd..
No deposit required for referral award.

Reactions: Drew-MS
How is it everyone seems to forget this is the norm in the industry...

Yeah but the difference is Porsche communicated the fact that there will be delays and even provided a timeline. For Tesla, nothing.

Fast forward to May “I just received a call from SA saying I should expect a June/July delivery”....BUT I hope your SA is right.

Seriously, I think the info on the forum here is most accurate. At least equal.

What
Exactly. I was just about to post the same. And no I'm not bashing Tesla, I'm stating that they can and should communicate better......pretty basic stuff.
Exactly. I was just about to post the same. And no I'm not bashing Tesla, I'm stating that they can and should communicate better......pretty basic stuff.
They estimated March. It is currently March. I’m not sure why they should feel a need to communicate anything. Maybe some of us are being neurotic.

What

They estimated March. It is currently March. I’m not sure why they should feel a need to communicate anything. Maybe some of us are being neurotic.
I don’t think anyone here asking for communication from Tesla is being unreasonable or as you say neurotic. The end of March is one week from this Wednesday. The chances of Tesla delivering thousands of Model S cars by then is slim to none. Therefore, one would expect Tesla to announce a delay so all of us suckers that actually believed we would get a car this month can adjust our expectations. I was foolish enough to sell my performance Model S last month in anticipation of a March delivery. I am now stuck without a car and I don’t enjoy the Uber experience as much as you do.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrJ and rezkyms
Edit: Important Notes

1. Shipping confirmed with round wheel. Yoke will be a retrofit after regulatory approval. Choice will be given before delivery which wheel you want when that’s handled.

2. “Smart Shift” can be turned off. Controls are on both the screen and the steering wheel. Nothing on the pad below the phone charger.

3. Screen can tilt both ways.

4. V11 looks insane (mode)
———
Looks like someone got inside.

Attachments

• B1C3B7DF-8B52-4B21-A6D5-7321C0D1247C.jpeg
    B1C3B7DF-8B52-4B21-A6D5-7321C0D1247C.jpeg
    409.7 KB · Views: 80
  • B7136C4A-2568-4C2E-9050-AEB08699D904.jpeg
    B7136C4A-2568-4C2E-9050-AEB08699D904.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 4B56BA37-821F-4391-8A8C-A83A37225BA2.jpeg
    4B56BA37-821F-4391-8A8C-A83A37225BA2.jpeg
    216 KB · Views: 66
  • FDC2CCA1-B403-40BC-99A3-BC3DA8A38063.jpeg
    FDC2CCA1-B403-40BC-99A3-BC3DA8A38063.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 68
  • 65947D77-71EA-428C-BD53-596662F1C3BF.jpeg
    65947D77-71EA-428C-BD53-596662F1C3BF.jpeg
    413.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 237CDD09-6C1C-46B5-8CF4-EEEF89EB3AF5.jpeg
    237CDD09-6C1C-46B5-8CF4-EEEF89EB3AF5.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
What

Pretty hard for me to be neurotic. I signed up for a long wait that just got a bit longer. In fact, I welcome and anticipated delays in Plaid+. It will give them time to iron out more of the kinks. But I think the lack of communication for LR and Plaid orders placed after the announcement given that it is now 3/21 is downright silly.

Sam,

Can you re post last 2 pics? Not working for me. Also, I cannot see the gear selector on the wheel like you mentioned. How do you know this? Thanks!!!

Removed to protect the employee. Might repost tomorrow but waiting on instruction from the OP. I have photos edited without the employees name, just need to make sure it’s okay from the guy who took the photos.

The engineers confirmed the right most button on the wheel acting as a kind of a gear shifter. Clicking once will bring up a prompt on the screen. You will then scroll to which gear you want and click in. The right scroll wheel button is mainly used for Autopilot. So when it’s not in use, it can be used for gear shifting.

It seems like such a massive expense to not only exchange a wheel after purchase but to provide 2 wheels per vehicle... I can't imagine they'd reuse the round one being replaced. This also begs the question... Can it be done via mobile for those of us in states with no SC? Hmmm
Swapping a steering wheel is actually a very simple and straightforward task, assuming mechanically this new wheel follows a standard design in the way it is physically attached. I could easily see swapping steering wheels as a mobile tech job similar to tesla garage remote install.

The yoke vs. round wheel is too polarizing a choice for many so I feel they must offer both options for the time being until it becomes mainstem.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Edit: Important Notes

1. Shipping confirmed with round wheel. Yoke will be a retrofit after regulatory approval. Choice will be given before delivery which wheel you want when that’s handled.

2. “Smart Shift” can be turned off. Controls are on both the screen and the steering wheel. Nothing on the pad below the phone charger.

3. Screen can tilt both ways.

4. V11 looks insane (mode)
———
Looks like someone got inside.
Where did your important notes #1 come from?

Reactions: foos