Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery is now structurally far more important, per the initial release, which, I believe, would require new crash tests.

As for “reports” of no yoke for non-plaid, those reports came from here and other random guesses and tweets. I’d ignore them.

Cars that get crash tested typically get damaged a lot worse than that pic. Though I guess there is a low MPH test where they hit a pole or something.

Regardless, May deliveries would be a nice surprise at this point. Only thing that makes me think April is Elon not wanting to have to deal with a discussion about delays on the earnings call.

My estimate still says “-“. Seriously? That’s almost worse than just having it blank.

Reactions: Drew-MS and TNGuy99
My model S sold for cash in one day on a Tesla specific FB group. Asking price. 8k more than Tesla. Bought a 6500 beater to tide me over and take out when it rains once Tesla arrives 😃
I recently sold my Tesla privately for 16k more than what Tesla offered me. In most cases, trading in makes sense so you can offset the tax owed on the new car. Of course, if your state charges tax. In this example, selling privately made the most sense.
In 2019, I traded in a fully loaded Porsche Macan Turbo for my P100D. Tesla’s offer seemed really low but I was told they would match an offer from Carmax. I then took my Porsche to Carmax and was offered $5500 more. As agreed, Tesla matched the Carmax offer. All good...

It's been reported that the refreshed MS LR may indeed come with the regular steering wheel while it's possible they may reserve the yoke style steering wheel for the Plaid. Sorry not seeing the chrome on the side cameras; looks all blacked out to me but maybe my 52 year old eyes are aging faster, lol. And not sure about the seats...looks like they be the older seats (not ventilated front?) but hard to tell.

Nowhere has there been a credible report of the yoke only for Plaid. Tesla has been very explicit that all S and X cars will get the yoke regardless of trim level. My agreement since refresh conversion has stated yoke. Now whether that happens or not, we will see - but it will not be because one trim gets it and a nother does not.

Nowhere has there been a credible report of the yoke only for Plaid. Tesla has been very explicit that all S and X cars will get the yoke regardless of trim level. My agreement since refresh conversion has stated yoke. Now whether that happens or not, we will see - but it will not be because one trim gets it and a nother does not.
I get it. I was just explaining to the other gentleman who responded to one of my posts that the yoke steering wheel hasn't been cleared by the NHTSA as of yet. Time will tell if the yoke steering wheel gets approved and we see it in actual customer cars. We've seen many test MS cars with and without the yoke steering wheel. So again, this refreshed or whatever it is MS LR sitting at Tesla Ft Lauderdale, FL seems to be one with a regular steering wheel. And yes, of course my MS Plaid "build" shows it's supposed to have the yoke steering wheel although I would probably be happier with a regular steering wheel (without the stalks is fine).

My thinking is more along the lines of race car driver Randy Pobst and Chris Harris on the yoke...stupid (why change what's not broken?) and probably very difficult for the average driver to maneuver during sharp turns and u-turns. If my Tesla MS Plaid will come with the yoke steering wheel, I sure would appreciate IF Tesla could immediately put out some sort of official statement explaining exactly how the yoke works for (what we all normally do...hand-over-hand steering technique) sharp turns and u-turns??????? 🙄 Does it have some sort of variable ratio steering depending on speed and turn input or does it just operate like any other regular steering wheel but with the top lopped off?????? 🤔 Sucks becuase I often rest my wrist on the top of the wheel driving on the highway and even around town; I'm not sure if I'll use the FSD (whenever that update actually happens) everywhere you know?

Last edited:
I get it. I was just explaining to the other gentleman who responded to one of my posts that the yoke steering wheel hasn't been cleared by the NHTSA as of yet. Time will tell if the yoke steering wheel gets approved and we see it in actual customer cars. We've seen many test MS cars with and without the yoke steering wheel. So again, this refreshed or whatever it is MS LR sitting at Tesla Ft Lauderdale, FL seems to be one with a regular steering wheel. And yes, of course my MS Plaid "build" shows it's supposed to have the yoke steering wheel although I would probably be happier with a regular steering wheel (without the stalks is fine).

My thinking is more along the lines of race car driver Randy Pobst and Chris Harris on the yoke...stupid (why change what's not broken?) and probably very difficult for the average driver to maneuver during sharp turns and u-turns. If my Tesla MS Plaid will come with the yoke steering wheel, I sure would appreciate IF Tesla could immediately put out some sort of official statement explaining exactly how the yoke works for (what we all normally do...hand-over-hand steering technique) sharp turns and u-turns??????? 🙄 Does it have some sort of variable ratio steering depending on speed and turn input or does it just operate like any other regular steering wheel but with the top lopped off?????? 🤔 Sucks becuase I often rest my wrist on the top of the wheel driving on the highway and even around town; I'm not sure if I'll use the FSD (whenever that update actually happens) everywhere you know?

The yoke is the main reason I bought a Tesla. I would opt the for the yoke over a steering wheel no matter how hard a yoke is to use, simply because it doesn't block the dash panel. Moreover, I have to believe that Tesla designed the yoke to avoid the problems people are complaining about. We'll see -- maybe I'll have yolk all over my face when I find out that in fact the yoke is the same as that on race cars. Seems unlikely.

Again, I think this has to be a showroom/SC “test” MS LR vehicle so people can test drive it...but when? Sounds like the OP didn't take a test drive but why? Why don’t the people who go take these pictures and post them actually go ask the Tesla SA’s what the story is with that vehicle and if can they go test drive it and then post the details??? There seems to be no other explanation why a new refreshed MS LR would end up in Ft Lauderdale, FL without a single production vehicle being delivered to customers in my opinion. I suppose I could go down to Ft Lauderdale Tesla and ask, but no offense, I think it would just frustrate me to talk to those guys who know nothing, haha. Since I already test drove a 2020 MS Performance with 800HP/TQ, I get it...no need for me to test drive the refreshed MS. I would rather just wait for my MS Plaid to be delivered.
I took those pics, and the Tesla tech who showed me around the car told me that they got an email telling them not to let people take pics of new UI and what not. He also stated since Ft. Lauderdale Service Center (dania beach before) is a “legacy story” they get the first cars for the employees to take home and get to know the vehicle more.

The yoke is the main reason I bought a Tesla. I would opt the for the yoke over a steering wheel no matter how hard a yoke is to use, simply because it doesn't block the dash panel. Moreover, I have to believe that Tesla designed the yoke to avoid the problems people are complaining about. We'll see -- maybe I'll have yolk all over my face when I find out that in fact the yoke is the same as that on race cars. Seems unlikely.
Um...wouldn't it be nice IF Tesla would actually explain their reasoning for the yoke steering wheel (exactly why it's better than a round steering wheel besides not blocking the center screen)and how it actually works (BEFORE people buy their cars with that new steering wheel design that's not, um, ahem, round)? 🤔 :rolleyes: BTW - my Tesla account still says "MARCH" (2021 nope so 2022 or 2023...who knows?)

Last edited:
Reactions: TNGuy99
I took those pics, and the Tesla tech who showed me around the car told me that they got an email telling them not to let people take pics of new UI and what not. He also stated since Ft. Lauderdale Service Center (dania beach before) is a “legacy story” they get the first cars for the employees to take home and get to know the vehicle more.
Okay, great...so if that's the case, then why not let anyone test drive the vehicle? What's their best guess on deliveries of the new refreshed MS then? What's the holdup? Yoke steering wheel or no yoke steering wheel? If yoke for everyone, how does it work for u-turns and sharp turns? How do you do the hand-over-hand steering technique? Sounds like the guys at Ft Lauderdale, FL Tesla may have some inside knowledge, no? 🤔

Um...wouldn't it be nice IF Tesla would actually explain their reasoning for the yoke steering wheel (exactly why it's better than a round steering wheel besides not blocking the center screen)and how it actually works (BEFORE people buy their cars with that new steering wheel design that's not, um, ahem, round)? 🤔 :rolleyes:

Elguapo will be along to give you a yellow card for taking us further off topic with yoke talk... I will just say that Tesla does not need to say why it is better to sell it. It could just be different and its main selling point is the unobstructed view of the dash.

No delivery date for me yet.

• Funny
Reactions: elguapo
Elguapo will be along to give you a yellow card for taking us further off topic with yoke talk... I will just say that Tesla does not need to say why it is better to sell it. It could just be different and its main selling point is the unobstructed view of the dash.

No delivery date for me yet.
Added BTW - my Tesla account still says "MARCH" (2021 nope so 2022 or 2023...who knows?) 😜

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
The "crash test car" post on Twitter really has me thinking. It seems strange that entirely new crash testing would be required by NHTSA for a minor exterior refresh. I wonder what change or changes specifically required crash (re)testing and did that catch Tesla off guard on their delivery timeline? Hmmm... Oh and my Plaid+ is still sitting at "Prepare for Delivery" as it has for many months.

There have been rumours and leaks saying that they will use large casting for the front and rear underbodies, those sound more plausible now that they seem to have to retest it.