Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All cars will come with it from the factory regardless of state. There are good you tube videos on how to remove safely. No holes.
Not really. A lot of my friends and family have Teslas and none of them have front license plate drilled in their front bumper. None of my cars have had a front license plat yet, although I did get a ticket for not having one. Even then I refused to drill holes.

Sorry moderator. I didn't see your post until after I had already commented. No more front license plates.

Reactions: tibook
The yoke is the main reason I bought a Tesla. I would opt the for the yoke over a steering wheel no matter how hard a yoke is to use, simply because it doesn't block the dash panel. Moreover, I have to believe that Tesla designed the yoke to avoid the problems people are complaining about. We'll see -- maybe I'll have yolk all over my face when I find out that in fact the yoke is the same as that on race cars. Seems unlikely.
FWIW I have no problem with the steering wheel blocking my view of either screen in my 2016 Model S. I'm about 6' or 6'1 with a long torso. I was kind of excited about the yoke. It seemed kind of racy to me and I like the look. I went out and drove my car while imagining it with the yoke and it looked like the wheel was going to work better for me. I had to make some slow parking lot turns and a right u-turn to get onto my frontage road. I used hand over hand and shuffle steering. I realize you are sold on the yoke but for others I would encourage you to do the same thing in your cars and see what you think.
IMG_1801.JPG

FWIW I have no problem with the steering wheel blocking my view of either screen in my 2016 Model S. I'm about 6' or 6'1 with a long torso. I was kind of excited about the yoke. It seemed kind of racy to me and I like the look. I went out and drove my car while imagining it with the yoke and it looked like the wheel was going to work better for me. I had to make some slow parking lot turns and a right u-turn to get onto my frontage road. I used hand over hand and shuffle steering. I realize you are sold on the yoke but for others I would encourage you to do the same thing in your cars and see what you think. View attachment 650420
Yoke or bust 😀😜

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Moved about a dozen posts to the politics quarantine which had not a darn thing to do with anybody's delivery update.

Folks, there's the entire Model S forum to chat about various ownership issues like license plates, tires, yokes/wheels, shifters, and whatever. Really don't want to have clean up all the chit-chat from this one thread.

Thanks for understanding,

Bruce.
Can you just move all the posts. Lock this thread for a few days. Everyone will move to the other thread and then stop clogging this one up? Move it all to the waiting room thread 🙂

Tesla is an unreliable source of news. Many of us can agree on that.

Seriously, there’s a yoke thread and a tire thread. And even a thread about appropriate threads. Some of us just want to see all the VINs getting posted and delivery dates and I can’t find those through all this politics commentary, yoke/no yoke, etc. Plus, with all this random stuff, it gets harder and hard to see Bruce’s warnings about staying on topic.

Gotta go with the yellow card now. I think everyone here needs a timeout until they’re ready to stay on topic.

Estimated delivery of “-“, no VIN yet. Will keep updating daily.

Is this new news, or old news resurfacing? CNN article from today (April 2) with headline "Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X"
ref: Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X

With pictures of refreshed Model S being out there, are any of these going to make it into the bought sight unseen buyers pool?

Sorry for the cross-post, just thought of the refresh pictures that a couple online enthusiast sites have posted over the past couple weeks.

Is this new news, or old news resurfacing? CNN article from today (April 2) with headline "Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X"
ref: Tesla temporarily halts production of its Model S and Model X

With pictures of refreshed Model S being out there, are any of these going to make it into the bought sight unseen buyers pool?

Sorry for the cross-post, just thought of the refresh pictures that a couple online enthusiast sites have posted over the past couple weeks.

It’s old news. CNN per usual has zero context or research, and quotes analysts who were predicting 12-15k S/X deliveries just last Friday saying they knew this all along.

Pretty much everyone outside this forum is shocked to find out what we already know - the S/X are delayed. Nothing has changed, CNN is just reporting what’s new to their “journalists” as news.

That is the standard blurb meaning the order is in queue. Roughly the steps are:
  1. Manufacturing plans batches of similar configs based on demand , supply chain and destination georgraphy (i.e. we are building 10 MC red Plaids for Europe)
  2. That batch then gets allocated out to stores (i.e. of the 20 cars we just built, 10 go to the Rocklin store, 5 go to the Dublin store)
  3. From that store allocation, the SAs will match orders based on priority - this is when you get a VIN and a rough delivery date
  4. Once its built on on the transport, you should get a tighter delivery date one the logistics are firmed up
Step 1 is likely already done for the orders on hand, and assuming they have cleared their blockers, I'd hope to start seeing VINs in the next week or so.
1617470921479.png

*creaking, clouds of vapor, and other decloaking effects*

First: like you - I'm lucky to be able to afford a Tesla. There are other problems in the world more serious than not getting my new car when promised. Irritating, but not world-ending. This is a luxury.

Second: The Plaid will be my 3rd Model S - can't wait for delivery. I've been reading the various threads about the stunning radio silence from Tesla and I share your angst. I remember each wait for a new Tesla to seem horribly long and fraught with e-mails, frantic reloading, and e-mails to delivery advisors - but were those waits longer than this one?

I went back and combed through my e-mail to try and to put some context here:

Model S: Reserved 7/17/2013, Picked up 8/31/2013. Total wait 45 days.
Model S: Reserved 1/15/2016, Picked up 3/3/2016. Total wait 48 days.
Model 3: Reserved 7/30/2018, Picked up 8/27/2018. Total wait 28 days.
Model S: Reserved 1/30/2021. Current wait: 63 days.

Longest wait so far, and no clear communication as to what the heck is going on behind the scenes I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances here - Pandemic, Chip Shortage, Refresh changeover - but that really doesn't make any of us feel as good as picking up a new car.

Third: Out of pure frustration I thought about heading down and driving the Taycan Turbo S. Looking at price and performance quickly dissuaded me: pay almost double what I've already committed to for a car that won't be as fast or feature rich? Better interior quality and the legendary name only gets you so far imho.

How about the EQS? It's as *not here* as the Plaid and without the track record of the S behind it. Easy to claim EV prowess, harder to mass produce.

Go back to an ICE sports car? No.

I'm not absolving Tesla here, just trying to put things in perspective for myself and for others if helpful. I've not been waiting as long as some to be sure and we all share roughly the same amount of information.

Summary: Yup, waiting sucks. Waiting without being told anything sucks harder, especially for the privilege of throwing money at a company for a new car. Unfortunately, there's no other game in town that will scratch the itch as thoroughly as the Plaid. I will continue waiting and grumbling. When the car is ultimately delivered all of my discomfort will be washed away in a soothing bath of acceleration.

Having said my $0.02 USD, I'll re-cloak.

-HF

*smokebomb*

*creaking, clouds of vapor, and other decloaking effects*

First: like you - I'm lucky to be able to afford a Tesla. There are other problems in the world more serious than not getting my new car when promised. Irritating, but not world-ending. This is a luxury.

Second: The Plaid will be my 3rd Model S - can't wait for delivery. I've been reading the various threads about the stunning radio silence from Tesla and I share your angst. I remember each wait for a new Tesla to seem horribly long and fraught with e-mails, frantic reloading, and e-mails to delivery advisors - but were those waits longer than this one?

I went back and combed through my e-mail to try and to put some context here:

Model S: Reserved 7/17/2013, Picked up 8/31/2013. Total wait 45 days.
Model S: Reserved 1/15/2016, Picked up 3/3/2016. Total wait 48 days.
Model 3: Reserved 7/30/2018, Picked up 8/27/2018. Total wait 28 days.
Model S: Reserved 1/30/2021. Current wait: 63 days.

Longest wait so far, and no clear communication as to what the heck is going on behind the scenes I'm sure there are extenuating circumstances here - Pandemic, Chip Shortage, Refresh changeover - but that really doesn't make any of us feel as good as picking up a new car.

Third: Out of pure frustration I thought about heading down and driving the Taycan Turbo S. Looking at price and performance quickly dissuaded me: pay almost double what I've already committed to for a car that won't be as fast or feature rich? Better interior quality and the legendary name only gets you so far imho.

How about the EQS? It's as *not here* as the Plaid and without the track record of the S behind it. Easy to claim EV prowess, harder to mass produce.

Go back to an ICE sports car? No.

I'm not absolving Tesla here, just trying to put things in perspective for myself and for others if helpful. I've not been waiting as long as some to be sure and we all share roughly the same amount of information.

Summary: Yup, waiting sucks. Waiting without being told anything sucks harder, especially for the privilege of throwing money at a company for a new car. Unfortunately, there's no other game in town that will scratch the itch as thoroughly as the Plaid. I will continue waiting and grumbling. When the car is ultimately delivered all of my discomfort will be washed away in a soothing bath of acceleration.

Having said my $0.02 USD, I'll re-cloak.

-HF

*smokebomb*
Excellent analysis. Thank you for sharing your experiences as some of us are new to Tesla although not necessarily new to the EV world. Yes it’s frustrating and for a lack of better terms, quite unprofessional in my opinion. In fact, I just sent an email to my SA (whom I haven’t heard from for a month and whom I’ve never met in person) who once again is “out” for a few days (although yes I understand it’s a holiday weekend) but was directed to contact his manager and asst manager. I forwarded my email to them. Nothing but crickets back. Again, I’ve been in professional sales since graduating college in 1992 and I’ve been running my own company since 2014. Tesla’s way of doing business and how they train (?) their sales people is NOT what I’m used to (and NOT how I was trained) to business and if I ever ran my company the way Tesla does from sales, communication, and customer support standpoints, I would be out of business. They are an anomaly. Have said all of this, I truly hope Tesla makes my MS Plaid available for delivery some time in the next 8 weeks. 🙏🏻😎👍🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: HannoverFist