Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any Tesla Regional Managers (SouthEast US) that we can email or call? I’ve now emailed my supposed SA, his asst Mgr, GM, and now the GM of another local Tesla Showroom/SC and not one of them have the decency and professional customer service skills to email or call me back. And my concerns and questions are quite valid without being an ass about it. Is there anyone higher up the food chain I can get in touch with???

I agree with most of your points. However regarding testing - I'd wager much of the new S core technology and structure is still much the same. The body shape looks nearly identical to the current one, aside from the front fascia tweaks and some trim changes around the rear. The underpinnings are probably all the same other than some suspension upgrades. The batteries are just an updated version of their current cells using tweaked chemistry. I'd imagine the majority of testing is thermal and going into whatever cooling system they're using (assuming it has been changed as well). The screen itself probably doesn't need much changing on the back end either. There are way way more variables with the amount of moving parts to deal with in traditional ICE cars. And Tesla already has the software part down extremely well so they don't have to worry too much about that and the various sub systems. I'd imagine the chip delays is causing them to just refocus production on their bottom line while giving ample time to thoroughly test the new S until the shortages dampen.

The changes seems to be large enough for them to have to crash test the car again if we are to believe the pictures that was posted before. The leaks also suggest they switched to large casting like the Model Y which would make large structural parts brand new.

I would also guess the battery pack has had major changes to get the improved thermal design and whatnot.

My guess is that underneath the body it is more or less a new car.

Agreed 295/30 ZR 21
View attachment 651265

My account page still shows 10-14 weeks from order placed date.

Finally the 21" tire mystery has been solved! Those Michelin PS4 tires are the best they make right now. I am running those on my S and they are fabulous! I bet the wheel will be able to hold tires up to 325/25/21 which would be the widest Michelin available maintaining the same overall diameter.
tire1.JPG

Some of you are bonkers. It is a freaking car. Another 1,000 posts (at least 3,000 in total since the refresh announcement) since I suggested you all were wasting your time. For some nerdy reason I looked. It took 30 months (close to 900 days) for 75 pages of posts to go from page 1000 to 1075 (when the refresh was announced). Another 70 days to add 140 pages comprising around 3,000 posts. NUTS!

If you've ever done the Tesla tour, you know they are not waiting on some piece of machinery to begin production - which itself is absurd since there have been multiple sightings of refreshed Model S across the country. It could be the Yoke; doubtful it is a panel but there must be some reason that most of the testers are missing panels. Note there have been pictures posted here with panels so it is not that they are waiting on a machine. My guess on the panel is the door opener not a rattle. Could the machinery/new plant speed up and make it less expensive to produce the car? My guess is that is probably the reason. But that also is a guess.

Tesla marches to its own tune. Live with it. Tesla used to change its pricing plans so often it made my head spin while waiting three months for my first Tesla things changed again. When I bought my MS, everything was an add-on and extra - air suspension, paint, premium package, enhanced audio, seats, and sunroof. Some things they included (like Alcantra) are gone forever, and others are now included. Paint and seats remained constant. I read this forum at the time and many had their VIN a week after ordering. I got my VIN ten days before delivery. Oversight? Perhaps. Looking back, who cares.

My recommendation - either suck it up and wait for your car, or if you are too OCD to do that, cancel. If you can afford the "S" you have better things to do with your time. I want my MS LR too as my current '17 MS has 99,600 miles and I want to sell it before it is worthless. What do you tell your significant others when you are posting for the 200+ time about your wait for the car? It is a car for god's sake.

Oh, and to keep the thread alive (I am not an ass), I also have not gotten a text, email or other contact from Tesla since I placed my order.

Some of you are bonkers. It is a freaking car. Another 1,000 posts (at least 3,000 in total since the refresh announcement) since I suggested you all were wasting your time. For some nerdy reason I looked. It took 30 months (close to 900 days) for 75 pages of posts to go from page 1000 to 1075 (when the refresh was announced). Another 70 days to add 140 pages comprising around 3,000 posts. NUTS!

If you've ever done the Tesla tour, you know they are not waiting on some piece of machinery to begin production - which itself is absurd since there have been multiple sightings of refreshed Model S across the country. It could be the Yoke; doubtful it is a panel but there must be some reason that most of the testers are missing panels. Note there have been pictures posted here with panels so it is not that they are waiting on a machine. My guess on the panel is the door opener not a rattle. Could the machinery/new plant speed up and make it less expensive to produce the car? My guess is that is probably the reason. But that also is a guess.

Tesla marches to its own tune. Live with it. Tesla used to change its pricing plans so often it made my head spin while waiting three months for my first Tesla things changed again. When I bought my MS, everything was an add-on and extra - air suspension, paint, premium package, enhanced audio, seats, and sunroof. Some things they included (like Alcantra) are gone forever, and others are now included. Paint and seats remained constant. I read this forum at the time and many had their VIN a week after ordering. I got my VIN ten days before delivery. Oversight? Perhaps. Looking back, who cares.

My recommendation - either suck it up and wait for your car, or if you are too OCD to do that, cancel. If you can afford the "S" you have better things to do with your time. I want my MS LR too as my current '17 MS has 99,600 miles and I want to sell it before it is worthless. What do you tell your significant others when you are posting for the 200+ time about your wait for the car? It is a car for god's sake.

Oh, and to keep the thread alive (I am not an ass), I also have not gotten a text, email or other contact from Tesla since I placed my order.
It is not bonkers to expect a car company that sold me a $100k car not to lie about when it would be delivered.

And you just managed to pour gasoline on the fire by being an ass about all of us other asses. Bravo! Speculation is fun and we are all learning a lot through this ordeal. It is all about the journey and I am sure we will all one day look back at this time and smile as we cruise in our refreshed LR/Plaid/Plaid+

It is not bonkers to expect a car company that sold me a $100k car not to lie about when it would be delivered.
I am not sure why we can’t hold Multi-Billion dollar corporations accountable to basic consumer etiquette. For all the folks who passively brag about buying a Tesla during the initial years and how you were so supernaturally patient, Tesla of today is not that anymore. They are not that infant, toddler who should be given leeway for growing pains. They are one of the biggest automobile manufacturers and industry influencers now. Unfortunately their administration and communication haven’t scaled linearly with their growth and it is perfectly Ok to expect more from a company that is said to have revolutionized the automobile production, sales and distribution.

"Live with it" hahahaha, no thanks. My financing expires tomorrow and I have a cheap car I bought on the way here today. If I like that car, I'm going to cancel this order and wait a year until there are more EV options (and they are coming, fast).

Are there people who will? Absolutely, Tesla has an Apple-like cult of fan bois who will literally put up with anything. The rest of us, we can wait if we choose (or already have other cars) or tell them "see ya", there's no "living with it" gimme a break. Also, this isn't some $1,000 iphone or TV, it's a $100k car that even for upper middle people still had to think about once or twice before hitting "submit"...for some of us, its the most expensive item weve ever purchased and all of this BS gives us more and more time to think about whether or not we really wanna sink $100k in a car that's likely to be outdated significantly in a year and probably depreciate 20-25% during that time, especially given the stock market performance.

Also every day that passes by, I'm reminded about all the things I didnt like about my Model 3: most of the features didn't work correctly (including - back up camera, "blind spot monitoring", auto wipers, auto high beams, autopilot (phantom braking and bouncing in lanes), smelly AC, etc.) and then I start to wonder, do I want all of those same problems for +50% price for 50 miles more range?

This is the only place I can find any information about my pending order, even if it’s all speculation! Keep the posts coming. The more the better! 😀

Elon is that you?

This is the only place I can find any information about my pending order, even if it’s all speculation! Keep the posts coming. The more the better! 😀
This. I don’t know if I would have been able to stay calm if not for this forum. There has been no communication from Tesla and SAs don’t know anything and they won’t return phone calls or respond to emails.

For those who want to hold Tesla accountable for poor customer service, your avenue is to not buy. And for those who say there are other options, my wife wanted me to buy a Porsche Taycan. I say, until there is another alternative to the supercharger network, unless you’re buying a car to putt putt around town, Tesla is the only way to go.

So far, the most you are out is $100-I understand some buyers last fall put down $1000. You’re not out $100,000 yet. And my guess is that some of the new technology will have to evolve. When my MS was delivered, the software did not handle Blindspot warnings, rain sensitive wipers, and most of the promised auto pilot features. Even today, the navigation cannot handle something as simple as waypoints. Years ago, I had a 2000 Jaguar with first generation rudimentary navigation that had waypoints.

The point is it’s a car. And not a perfect one. Yet, we all want it.

Also you can’t be anymore less empathetic than this. I can wait but I feel for folks who have applied for credit and now face approval expirations, people who sold their rides expecting to take delivery in March and now having to borrow car from family or rent etc. All we are asking for is some transparency and for Tesla to release an official communication around when deliveries can be expected. They don’t have to explain reasons for delay but simply say - “We are still perfecting some aspects to make the best EV in the market remarkably better. You can expect delivery in xxxx. We will communicate again if things change. Thanks for your patience and we value your commitment”. If you are in Tesla management, there you go, that’s your cue.

"Live with it" hahahaha, no thanks. My financing expires tomorrow and I have a cheap car I bought on the way here today. If I like that car, I'm going to cancel this order and wait a year until there are more EV options (and they are coming, fast).

Are there people who will? Absolutely, Tesla has an Apple-like cult of fan bois who will literally put up with anything. The rest of us, we can wait if we choose (or already have other cars) or tell them "see ya", there's no "living with it" gimme a break. Also, this isn't some $1,000 iphone or TV, it's a $100k car that even for upper middle people still had to think about once or twice before hitting "submit"...for some of us, its the most expensive item weve ever purchased and all of this BS gives us more and more time to think about whether or not we really wanna sink $100k in a car that's likely to be outdated significantly in a year and probably depreciate 20-25% during that time, especially given the stock market performance.

Also every day that passes by, I'm reminded about all the things I didnt like about my Model 3: most of the features didn't work correctly (including - back up camera, "blind spot monitoring", auto wipers, auto high beams, autopilot (phantom braking and bouncing in lanes), smelly AC, etc.) and then I start to wonder, do I want all of those same problems for +50% price for 50 miles more range?
Well, the only car I’m interested in is a plaid model S...
So the reality is clear; I’m one of the fan bios 🙈

Well said!

I just ordered my 3rd Tesla. Started in 2013 with a MS and waited.... Web site says 10-14 weeks.... I expect it in 16-20 or so. Being a Plaid maybe I get it sooner.

Tesla time=stretch goals

Reactions: BruceR61
For those who want to hold Tesla accountable for poor customer service, your avenue is to not buy. And for those who say there are other options, my wife wanted me to buy a Porsche Taycan. I say, until there is another alternative to the supercharger network, unless you’re buying a car to putt putt around town, Tesla is the only way to go.

So far, the most you are out is $100-I understand some buyers last fall put down $1000. You’re not out $100,000 yet. And my guess is that some of the new technology will have to evolve. When my MS was delivered, the software did not handle Blindspot warnings, rain sensitive wipers, and most of the promised auto pilot features. Even today, the navigation cannot handle something as simple as waypoints. Years ago, I had a 2000 Jaguar with first generation rudimentary navigation that had waypoints.

The point is it’s a car. And not a perfect one. Yet, we all want it.

When you ordered your Model S in 2017 - what other choices did you have for an EV sedan that could go ~250+ miles? Zero.

By the end of the year, we will have:

- Taycan
- Audi etron GT
- Lucid Air
- MB EQS
- BMW i4

Not to mention, if you are just looking for an EV that has "long range" then there are a plethora of options:

- ID4
- Ariya
- Bolt
- Q4
- etron
- R1t
- R1s
- Hummer EV
- iX
- lyriq
- kona
- ioniq
- polestar 2
- ipace

I could keep going but I think the point is clear: Tesla isn't the only game in town, though the "specs" are currently the best, but for those of us who are willing to wait around randomly for months past an announced delivery timeline with no update, perhaps we are willing to wait 6-9 months and buy a car that's cheaper and better built.

When you ordered your Model S in 2017 - what other choices did you have for an EV sedan that could go ~250+ miles? Zero.

By the end of the year, we will have:

- Taycan
- Audi etron GT
- Lucid Air
- MB EQS
- BMW i4

Not to mention, if you are just looking for an EV that has "long range" then there are a plethora of options:

- ID4
- Ariya
- Bolt
- Q4
- etron
- R1t
- R1s
- Hummer EV
- iX
- lyriq
- kona
- ioniq

I could keep going but I think the point is clear: Tesla isn't the only game in town, though the "specs" are currently the best, but for those of us who are willing to wait around randomly for months past an announced delivery timeline with no update, perhaps we are willing to wait 6-9 months and buy a car that's cheaper and better built.
None of those cars have anywhere close to a 400 mile range. Most cannot even go 200 miles. And not one of those can go on a road trip with reliable, easily findable, quick charging options. Some are great cars to putt putt for local driving. The choice is Tesla or nothing if you want a long range EV.