Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is unfortunate. Hate to say it but some of this pain is self inflicted. Nothing stated a 100% certainty you’d get it in that timeframe. Not letting Tesla off the hook here but selling your transportation without a better certainty, is definitely risky. Especially for a “new” product never before seen by the public and no history of producing this exact product. But I guess that keeps life “exciting”.
I ordered in November. On 12/23 I was given a delivery date of 12/28. This was not an 'estimate', they implied my car was on a truck already. They were taking orders in December and giving dates out that they knew 100% they would never deliver on.

Fortunately I didn't sell my car or anything.

Reactions: ks1972
Son, you have not bought the car. You placed a $100 deposit for a reservation to acquire the vehicle. Elon's timeline has consistently been overly optimistic, from delivery dates of vehicles to delivery dates of software. Obviously, some Model S refreshes were being produced in late January when Elon made the statement because we've all seen photos of test mules. Unfortunately, the ones being produced were not for delivery to customers. I am eager to get the refreshed S just like most everyone else on this thread. However, for some, like you, the best thing may be to cancel your order. Ask for your $100 to be returned and purchase another car that is currently available. If you're not happy with that purchase, consider the Model S again, when hopefully production has ramped up and you won't be stressed out by the waiting game.
Thankfully my circumstances are a bit different from others on this thread. I've got a Cadillac lease which expires in July so I have a vehicle to use until then. Given that, a July delivery estimate suits my timing ok. However, I would love to get my MS now and dry-dock the Caddy until it's time to give it back. I think following the posts on this thread feeds the lust, lol.

I ordered in November. On 12/23 I was given a delivery date of 12/28. This was not an 'estimate', they implied my car was on a truck already. They were taking orders in December and giving dates out that they knew 100% they would never deliver on.

Fortunately I didn't sell my car or anything.
That’s odd. Especially since well before the refresh.

Wonder what the cause was. Bad things can certainly happen during delivery too.

I rather doubt, and really hope that those permits aren't what's holding up the line. If you notice on the first one they were first attempted to be inspected a month ago and nobody answered when the inspector tried to check on them. I would imagine if this was actually holding something up they'd be hounding the inspector, not ignoring his calls. On the second one they don't even have an inspection scheduled.

It would be rather sad if this whole delay was just due to some permiting inspections, I've got to believe its something more significant.

We've ruled out the yoke, and I doubt its any software issues, as Tesla has shown they are happy to just ship cars anyway and fix it with an OTA. I doubt its the chip shortage as well, if that was the case they'd have made some customer cars by now, just at a slow rate. My best guess would be that they are trying to use another massive casting to cut costs and are having difficulty getting that to work, or maybe its something more exciting like they are trying to get some un-announced feature working like maybe 4680s! That seems pretty unlikely though :-/

Reactions: legend_of_jim
Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for months and I appreciate the updates.

Model S LR, black exterior/black interior, FSD, Arachnids
RN1141
SoCal

Ordered 10/25/20 pre-refresh. Delivery date estimated 9 December 2020.
Sold my Audi S5 Late November
Model S arrives late -- 23 December. I am out of the country on military reserve commitments (left 16 Dec). Can't take delivery.

Once back stateside, the MS is refreshed. I convert my order. No date listed, no dash, nothing. I have been without a car for 5 months now. I'm pretty frustrated about the delay and lack of communication, so I have been scouring this forum and refreshing my account page nonstop. Still waiting for the car but have spent thousands on rentals during the time I've waited.

Anyway, just saying hi. Also, I would like to know why anyone likes the Lucid Air. The interior is nice but the exterior is hot garbage in my opinion. The front looks like a mid-90s Toyota Celica and the rear looks like an afterthought. Every time someone sings its praises I think I'm taking crazy pills. Just my two cents.

Anyway, thanks for letting me wait (and vent) with you!

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking here for months and I appreciate the updates.

Model S LR, black exterior/black interior, FSD, Arachnids
RN1141
SoCal

Ordered 10/25/20 pre-refresh. Delivery date estimated 9 December 2020.
Sold my Audi S5 Late November
Model S arrives late -- 23 December. I am out of the country on military reserve commitments (left 16 Dec). Can't take delivery.

Once back stateside, the MS is refreshed. I convert my order. No date listed, no dash, nothing. I have been without a car for 5 months now. I'm pretty frustrated about the delay and lack of communication, so I have been scouring this forum and refreshing my account page nonstop. Still waiting for the car but have spent thousands on rentals during the time I've waited.

Anyway, just saying hi. Also, I would like to know why anyone likes the Lucid Air. The interior is nice but the exterior is hot garbage in my opinion. The front looks like a mid-90s Toyota Celica and the rear looks like an afterthought. Every time someone sings its praises I think I'm taking crazy pills. Just my two cents.

Anyway, thanks for letting me wait (and vent) with you!
Thank you for your service.

Can't disagree. I live about a mile from Lucid HQ (Newark, CA), so I see them fairly often and still can't get behind that exterior. But I don't think the S is all that much prettier either :p Definitely need to try one out, but I'm not at all motivated by luxurious interiors so not really their market.

I just picked up my 3 from service in Fremont and tried snooping around (from car, didn't enter the lot) their other buildings on Kato rd but couldn't see any refreshed models in the lots. Then drove by the factory entrance where test drives/SC are and didn't see any either :(

Reactions: Sbaimo
I rather doubt, and really hope that those permits aren't what's holding up the line. If you notice on the first one they were first attempted to be inspected a month ago and nobody answered when the inspector tried to check on them. I would imagine if this was actually holding something up they'd be hounding the inspector, not ignoring his calls. On the second one they don't even have an inspection scheduled.

It would be rather sad if this whole delay was just due to some permiting inspections, I've got to believe its something more significant.

We've ruled out the yoke, and I doubt its any software issues, as Tesla has shown they are happy to just ship cars anyway and fix it with an OTA. I doubt its the chip shortage as well, if that was the case they'd have made some customer cars by now, just at a slow rate. My best guess would be that they are trying to use another massive casting to cut costs and are having difficulty getting that to work, or maybe its something more exciting like they are trying to get some un-announced feature working like maybe 4680s! That seems pretty unlikely though :-/

The tooling could be the plaid+ S/X related as well.

Can't disagree. I live about a mile from Lucid HQ (Newark, CA), so I see them fairly often and still can't get behind that exterior. But I don't think the S is all that much prettier either :p Definitely need to try one out, but I'm not at all motivated by luxurious interiors so not really their market.

I just picked up my 3 from service in Fremont and tried snooping around (from car, didn't enter the lot) their other buildings on Kato rd but couldn't see any refreshed models in the lots. Then drove by the factory entrance where test drives/SC are and didn't see any either :(
Honestly, that's a fair point. The S isn't the most beautiful car either, but I do prefer it to the Lucid.

Curious, so you think the MS design doesn't look good but you like the M3??? The M3 is like the awkward fat little brother of the MS. I would totally save the money and get an M3 instead of an MS if the M3 wasn't so ugly.

Curious, so you think the MS design doesn't look good but you like the M3??? The M3 is like the awkward fat little brother of the MS. I would totally save the money and get an M3 instead of an MS if the M3 wasn't so ugly.
No, M3 is not pretty either IMO. It's totally fine, just like the S, but I think the germans make much prettier cars. But those gas cars aren't concerned with aero. I'm not buying for looks so I don't really care (I have a plaid X on order, not an S anyways).

The tool install one wasn't through plan check till April 1. Took almost a month for plan check so something majorish there.

Bus bar one skipped rough electrical and went straight to final today. Likely the inspectors are lazy at the new system and never updated for rough inspection.

These two things are specifically labeled for the MS/MX lines.

Issued means they got the permit to do the work. Inspections have to be done after the work is done. Given two weeks since the tool install, hopefully they were completing that while waiting for the ability to energize the bus bar.

MXLR FSD White with cream interior, 6 seater, standard wheels(for range)
Order placed on Jan 28 2020 1144....
1. Estimated delivery: April
2. Estimated delivery:
3. Estimated delivery: April

Uploaded insurance myself - the UI does not "check marks" it as it does for others. Have sent photo of my insurance to my SA and she said she attached it couple days ago, still insurance widget does not shows as checked-marked. Just shows that I've uploaded and a "+" sign to expand details.

Ok, I'm not happy with communication at all from tesla, but I'll tell you what guys:
1. I've ordered a door(just regular fire-rated door between my garage and house) back in Nov 2020 and was promised it to be delivered on mid Dec 2020.
After several(10+) false promises I finall got my door on March 2021 - WRONG SIZE!!! So I had to return it. I ordered another one mid March 2021 with original delivery of mid April 2021. Now delivery has moved to May 2021 again. This is a door, ok!:)?, like, there is not electronics in it or what so ever! Good news though is that on door market it is better competition that in EVs:)
2. I've ordered a Roland Digital piano in mid of Feb 2021 with original delivery date of mid March 2021. I haven't received it as of now. I get it that piano is more comprehensive than door though:).
3. I've ordered MXLR on Jan 2821 - well, you know the rest of this story:)

Both door and roland use covid as very convenient excuse for parts shortage and etc. I don't think I'm 100% sold to this excuse though.

In any case, now we are talking about a EV car, not just simple one that has an electric motor + pedals + batteries all wired up together, it is probably the most high tech piece of future out there. No excuse for worst communication possible thought. Just wanted to share that our of 3 products that I'm somewhat passioned none of them has been delivered to me and delay is counted in months for all of products.