Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm just here for the 🍿🍿

Seriously though. There's something with the production line that's not right yet. Everyone keeps going w software or chip shortages. That wouldn't stop things in their tracks. It's either a component on the line or a people issue.

Might be they had allocated their entire staff to the M3/Y and now they don't have anyone to build the MS/X because they now have set a trend of cars produced they have to live up to.

Might be because permits (though I think those are long paid off by now and just going to disappear and another inspection will never be had). That was a good running issue till we saw a complete inspection, even though it failed, and the notes said they were live on it and couldn't shut it down.

Who knows. But to fully stop a production line it's more than just a minor thing. They'd pump out as far as they could then hold. You know they can build them though because Elon has his, but I bet they did it old school and not on the line. Leads me to believe they have everything set design wise (or he wouldn't be driving it), but there's something up with the full scale production aspect.

But for the earnings call, I guess they can officially say they've produced a MS refresh because Elon has his Plaid and is driving it around with real CA plates (i.e. not mfg plates, at least what one person said when they spotted his in TX).

I just wanna see them put out a real reveal video. Something highlighting the car and all it's new features, stop leaving things in the dark about what might have changed. That'd give most of us something to chew on for a few months. But dang, nada, no marketing, no pumping it up, no review cars, no real videos, no new owners manual, no new taking delivery videos, no videos talking about the new shifting mechanisms, that's what I think most are upset about. Give us something haha.

I assume you recognize the sarcasm? Mocking the flood of posts by members who joined the same week the Tesla forum went down and have nothing but those negative types of comments to make.

Hey now, I'm one of those TMC dormant members but would contest that I and several of my fellow Tesla Forum exiles have posted "nothing but those negative type of comments".... :(

I just switched from red/cream to black/cream and my estimated delivery changed from "July" to "-"

LR orde

I'm just here for the 🍿🍿

Seriously though. There's something with the production line that's not right yet. Everyone keeps going w software or chip shortages. That wouldn't stop things in their tracks. It's either a component on the line or a people issue.

Might be they had allocated their entire staff to the M3/Y and now they don't have anyone to build the MS/X because they now have set a trend of cars produced they have to live up to.

Might be because permits (though I think those are long paid off by now and just going to disappear and another inspection will never be had). That was a good running issue till we saw a complete inspection, even though it failed, and the notes said they were live on it and couldn't shut it down.

Who knows. But to fully stop a production line it's more than just a minor thing. They'd pump out as far as they could then hold. You know they can build them though because Elon has his, but I bet they did it old school and not on the line. Leads me to believe they have everything set design wise (or he wouldn't be driving it), but there's something up with the full scale production aspect.

But for the earnings call, I guess they can officially say they've produced a MS refresh because Elon has his Plaid and is driving it around with real CA plates (i.e. not mfg plates, at least what one person said when they spotted his in TX).

I just wanna see them put out a real reveal video. Something highlighting the car and all it's new features, stop leaving things in the dark about what might have changed. That'd give most of us something to chew on for a few months. But dang, nada, no marketing, no pumping it up, no review cars, no real videos, no new owners manual, no new taking delivery videos, no videos talking about the new shifting mechanisms, that's what I think most are upset about. Give us something haha.
Good post and agreed. Knowing Elon, he will come out with some data points on Model S production and perhaps a video of the Plaid as well during and/or after the earnings call...I hope.

I'm just here for the 🍿🍿

Ordered 1/2, order 11433xx. Had no idea refresh was coming and could impact delivery by months. First experience with Tesla. Really want to change to EV for obvious environmental reasons. Had no understanding that delays are common for Tesla (shame on me for not researching)

I’ve been sharing car with my 16 year old since January. If there is no news on 4/26, I will need to explore other options. I can’t just wait indefinitely with no understanding of when delivery may happen. Maybe M3, maybe another ICE (ugh). Really hoping for some positive indications as @doubleshot described.

Ordered 1/2, order 11433xx. Had no idea refresh was coming and could impact delivery by months. First experience with Tesla. Really want to change to EV for obvious environmental reasons. Had no understanding that delays are common for Tesla (shame on me for not researching)

I’ve been sharing car with my 16 year old since January. If there is no news on 4/26, I will need to explore other options. I can’t just wait indefinitely with no understanding of when delivery may happen. Maybe M3, maybe another ICE (ugh). Really hoping for some positive indications as @doubleshot described.

Same - if Elon doesn't double down and confirm deliveries this QTR - different car for me as well. Probs go ICE and then Rivian.

I feel like Tesla has permanently damaged their reputation with all the missed timelines/lack of communication. They don't miss *sugar* by weeks, it's often years or more. Not just the cars, but the supercharger locations, some of which have been on that website for literally years with no progress. In my mind - Rivian is supposed to start deliveries in ~6-8 weeks. If those initial reviews are good and they get the bugs worked out + insurance roll out + charging spots rolled out by Jan of next year - that electric truck will probably be my route. LOTS of "ifs", also, "if" Tesla gives me my damn Model S by July - none of this bullsugar I just typed will mean anything.

I guess they can officially say they've produced a MS refresh because Elon has his Plaid and is driving it around with real CA plates
Remember, the old S line (the original Model S production line) is still in place for prototypes and the like--my guess is everything we have seen is off that line
Tesla has permanently damaged their reputation with all the missed timelines/lack of communication
:) Hasn't hurt so far and our X was 2 years late, still, I'm the dummy in line again

I'm just here for the 🍿🍿

Could be a manufacturing line issue BUT that doesn't account for all the "test mules" still running around different areas of the country (some with wires hanging out of the dashboard, some without interior panels, etc) and supposed wind tunnel testing (again? a month after they were supposed to start deliveries...hmmm? 🤔 ). I tend to think the real reason is EXACTLY what Elon hinted at several weeks ago...some "minor tweaks" to work out. And, sorry, but I still think they're trying to figure out whether or not to implement their dumb, "no real good reason" 1/2 steering wheel yoke thing...probably just dreamed up by Elon because he likes video games, F1 race car steering wheels and airplanes...just because it "looks cool." :rolleyes: Basically, Elon should've just kept his mouth shut back in Jan, and Tesla should've WAITED until ALL TESTING was COMPLETE and the refreshed MS LR & MS Plaid were literally starting production! But, that's not how it went down.

Last edited:
Very slim chance in my opinion. If the analysts are any good, they should be all over Tesla about the refresh in order to provide delivery estimates for the next few quarters. It's sad that Bitcoin will probably be discussed more than the refresh.
FWIW - i have asked Adam Jonas for a comment. I’ll certainly share any relevant info.

Reactions: Drew-MS
I built out a BMW 840i. If we don't get some sort of definitive news on the earnings call, I'll probably pull the trigger. There are a couple within spec available near me. I'm bummed because I really wanted to go electric -- and the performance of the ICE Bimmer isn't nearly as good as even the MS LR -- but being without a car for 6 months now is really wearing on me.

Reactions: Nayyer
Crap, I have to check in here more often. I figured deliveries would have started by April. My current lease runs out in late November and I gambled and figured that I would order in late May. End of April and no deliveries and worse, no info.

Hopefully we get some indication during earnings about production and deliveries but if you believe analysts (and who cares about them), the Model S/X don't move the needle stock wise because they are relatively low volume halo cars at this point and all the attention will be on the high volume Model 3 and Y and the potentially high volume CT.

It's only $100 so I guess I'll go ahead and place my order end of April though I am pretty sure that I am too late now especially with the order backlog, chip shortage and everything else. If I don't get it in November, I can always get a Taycan.

Crap, I have to check in here more often. I figured deliveries would have started by April. My current lease runs out in late November and I gambled and figured that I would order in late May. End of April and no deliveries and worse, no info.

Hopefully we get some indication during earnings about production and deliveries but if you believe analysts (and who cares about them), the Model S/X don't move the needle stock wise because they are relatively low volume halo cars at this point and all the attention will be on the high volume Model 3 and Y and the potentially high volume CT.

It's only $100 so I guess I'll go ahead and place my order end of April though I am pretty sure that I am too late now especially with the order backlog, chip shortage and everything else. If I don't get it in November, I can always get a Taycan.
I'd say place the order and as you say keep your options open. You can always defer delivery if you find yourself in that position.

Same - if Elon doesn't double down and confirm deliveries this QTR - different car for me as well. Probs go ICE and then Rivian.

So you’d be satisfied if Elon says “The Model S, we're actually in production now, and we'll be delivering next month” ?

PS - that’s a direct quote from the transcript of the January earnings call.

There’s literally nothing he can say next Monday that I’ll trust.

At this point, I want to see dozens of VINs on Twitter & some YouTube videos from the usual suspects after they take delivery.

Reactions: elguapo
I think the state of the S and X falls down the list of interesting topics for analysts behind:
  • Perceived safety issues with AP/FSD and the higher degree of inspection apparently coming from both the Senate and the NHTSA
  • Whatever the heck is going on in Energy with the price increases on the roof and the new bundling of solar and PWs
  • Health of the relationship with China after the drama at the auto show, the criticism of the Tesla response and the recent accident/fire/fatality
The news cycles have been a bit rough the last couple of weeks

Could be a manufacturing line issue BUT that doesn't account for all the "test mules" still running around different areas of the country (some with wires hanging out of the dashboard, some without interior panels, etc) and supposed wind tunnel testing (again? a month after they were supposed to start deliveries...hmmm? 🤔 ). I tend to think the real reason is EXACTLY what Elon hinted at several weeks ago...some "minor tweaks" to work out. And, sorry, but I still think they're trying to figure out whether or not to implement their dumb, "no real good reason" 1/2 steering wheel yoke thing...probably just dreamed up by Elon because he likes video games, F1 race car steering wheels and airplanes...just because it "looks cool." :rolleyes: Basically, Elon should've just kept his mouth shut back in Jan, and Tesla should've WAITED until ALL TESTING was COMPLETE and the refreshed MS LR & MS Plaid were literally starting production! But, that's not how it went down.
As @omarsultan suggested. These we've seen are prob off the prototype old MS line. I don't think it's the yoke at all, and now other car manufacturers are starting to notice and take a similar approach.

Remember, the old S line (the original Model S production line) is still in place for prototypes and the like--my guess is everything we have seen is off that line
Yup. That's what I'm thinking. Even Elon's Plaid was likely off that line.

As @omarsultan suggested. These we've seen are prob off the prototype old MS line. I don't think it's the yoke at all, and now other car manufacturers are starting to notice and take a similar approach.

Yup. That's what I'm thinking. Even Elon's Plaid was likely off that line.
Yeah okay but that doesn’t mean Tesla isn’t re-working several things whether it be s/w related, Cd related, steering wheel, or other issues that still needed to be “tweaked” and redone. My point was that the long delay may very well be evidenced by all the “engineering” or “test mule” cars out all around the US...CA, TX, FL, and other areas. In my opinion, they wouldn’t be testing the vehicles if the refreshed MS LR and Plaid were actually ready for production (and if it weren’t just retooling the production line or whatever).

Reactions: elguapo
Again, I hate to jump into this fray because I have no dog in this hunt. BUT, is there a remote possibility that there is a completely new Model S coming down the pike? New body, new interior, etc. We've been concentrating on the Model S mules and looking for slight differences; but they may be in fact, "mules", carting around the new Model S chassis for testing purposes. The delays on the new Model S may in fact be because it is truly NEW.

Reactions: petergy
Again, I hate to jump into this fray because I have no dog in this hunt. BUT, is there a remote possibility that there is a completely new Model S coming down the pike? New body, new interior, etc. We've been concentrating on the Model S mules and looking for slight differences; but they may be in fact, "mules", carting around the new Model S chassis for testing purposes. The delays on the new Model S may in fact be because it is truly NEW.

There better be something extra after all this. They will probably raise the price for all of them though.