Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hayseed_MS, where the heck are you? Haven't heard from you since yesterday! I think it was you last week who said you were going to test drive the Taycan. If so, did you take it for a spin? What did you think? Sorry if this has been posted. Our digressions make it hard to stay caught up.

I have been in and out of state on dumpster fire duty so I have not had a chance to do any test drives. Honestly, I just do not see me going to the Taycan unless they up the range and make the back seat more useable (neither will happen). The sad truth is that the S (and Tesla's charging) checks my boxes and it is only my disdain for Tesla's horrible customer service that makes me run screaming. If I jump ship, it will be to a Defender or the Rivian R1S - neither which are ideal for me for several reasons.

I will continue to wait and bitch (for at least the near future). Will see what happens next week on the call.

Does the supply delivery (mostly of computer chips ?) affect only Tesla and block Tesla to restart production
or does any other manufacturers get affected the same way?
The thing about the chip shortage is all about increased demand, not reduced supply. So companies that have contracts for chips will still get them, but if they want to increase their prior order, good luck. I suspect Tesla has planned for the ramp well in advance. It is the legacy makers that were caught off guard with the strong demand. Same things will all other electronics... the economy is strong, so demand increased beyond expectations.

Can’t wait to see this thread after the earnings call sheds no light on anything. Light it up! There’s no way Elon says anything useful. He’s got to SHOW stuff at this point. If we trust him, they’ve been producing cars for a 4 months and stockpiling them in an underground tunnel or something...
Perhaps he is hiding the new model s LR and P in one of his tunnels for the boring company? :cool:

Reactions: TNGuy99 and T-Racer
I have been in and out of state on dumpster fire duty so I have not had a chance to do any test drives. Honestly, I just do not see me going to the Taycan unless they up the range and make the back seat more useable (neither will happen). The sad truth is that the S (and Tesla's charging) checks my boxes and it is only my disdain for Tesla's horrible customer service that makes me run screaming. If I jump ship, it will be to a Defender or the Rivian R1S - neither which are ideal for me for several reasons.

I will continue to wait and bitch (for at least the near future). Will see what happens next week on the call.
Taycan’s rear seating is a deal breaker for me too along with the range. It is not just practical enough for my needs.

The thing about the chip shortage is all about increased demand, not reduced supply. So companies that have contracts for chips will still get them, but if they want to increase their prior order, good luck. I suspect Tesla has planned for the ramp well in advance. It is the legacy makers that were caught off guard with the strong demand. Same things will all other electronics... the economy is strong, so demand increased beyond expectations.

Right. I consider chip shortage the least reasonable explanation I've heard for the delay. I might buy chip shortage as a factor for Tesla pushing back the Plaid+ to mid-2022 (though even this is unlikely), but certainly not a reason that Tesla delayed the LR and Plaid from February to God knows when.

True, at least they're not raising the price on us.
At the risk of being unduly negative, if Tesla treats us like it treated its solar roof panel buyers, it won't be giving us compensation for the delay. Instead, it will raise our prices, claiming the car now costs more.
You should clarify and say that at least they're not raising the price on us again.

After my disastrous solar roof fiasco (five month wait to get a note that price went from $28k to $45k and solar production down 30%), I’m just shocked that Tesla can’t or won’t give any info on the status of the refreshed cars. I get that they hit a snag somewhere, but when you tell customers their cars will arrive in March, then go all radio silence for weeks on end, it doesn’t give customers much reason to hold out.

After my disastrous solar roof fiasco (five month wait to get a note that price went from $28k to $45k and solar production down 30%), I’m just shocked that Tesla can’t or won’t give any info on the status of the refreshed cars. I get that they hit a snag somewhere, but when you tell customers their cars will arrive in March, then go all radio silence for weeks on end, it doesn’t give customers much reason to hold out.

Except still no competition. At least nothing you can buy today.

Friend ordered a Ford F150 recently and his delivery date keeps slipping because they don't have trim pieces. Seeing these testers without trim 1 could conclude the Tesla line issues are similar.

The supply chain is definitely feeling significant strain from several different angles. COVID & the Suez Canal got a good bit of coverage, but petroleum-based plastics from LA/TX getting hit by hurricanes & winter weather have been a bit lesser-known.

Two interesting anecdotes I've seen:
1. As an example of lesser-known bottlenecks - raw materials in resins/plastics [polyethylene (PE) + polypropylene (PP) + monoethylene (MEG)] are causing trouble.
2. I heard someone compare automotive plastics/rubber to the COVID Toilet Paper situation. Everyone's scared that the 'just-in-time' inventory concept was a bad idea & they're trying to stockpile at the same time.

And a couple links to back it up & waste some time until Elon feeds us more questionable info next Monday:
The Latest Supply Chain Disruption: Plastics

BTW - off topic but something for you soon-to-be new Tesla owners (hopefully).

Just note that, if you are get soured on Tesla with this situation and are looking at other EVS - the legacy OEMs (perhaps except Nissan and GM with the Bolt) are truly very far behind.

We took delivery of an Id4 this last week (someone cancelled, got it early). Let me tell you up front: For a sub $38k car (after rebate), it's a pretty solidly built compact SUV with some of the benefits of an EV (smooth linear acceleration, quiet, sort of - weird noise maker they chose).

HOWEVER, five issues:

- The delivered it to us with a misaligned passenger door (which of course we didn't see until we got home, as we had to take delivery at dusk).

- Bugs. Lots of software bugs. While my Model 3 had bugs as well (some that came and went multiple times lol). This car has even weirder and more noticeable bugs. They clearly got to the point where they said "**** it, ship it"

- VW's app (Car Net) is absolute garbage. We've had the car a week and we have not been able to access any remote features once. Waiting on VW HQ tech support to review our case (expected 1-2 weeks). My tesla remote access never failed in the year I owned it. Also, the phone as a key only failed once, when I was at home...car needed a quick reboot and it never happened again.

- Charging infrastructure - Electrify America sucks too, has bugs, and only half the chargers ever work. Also, even though VW owns EA, they dont even have their charging locations in their own navigation system. WTF. Tesla's navigation/route planning experience is WAY beyond VWs.

- The dealership people including sales and service have literally no idea how to handle any issue you may have. None. We asked about aligning the doors (hmmm, dont think we can). We asked about fixing Car Net (uhm, maybe call VW HQ tech support?), we asked about a bug (yeah havent seen this before). It's a new car, but as soon as you buy it they kick you out the door and dont want you back. My personal Tesla showroom/service experience was great and they didnt lie to my face about fixing stuff. Long story there, but whatever.

So, gentlemen, if you/your family are out there looking at other EVs - just know they all come with their quirks/bugs, but I feel like with this car we went back to the stone ages versus how seamless the Tesla experience was with tech/charging. So when you hear people say "Tesla is 5 years ahead"...that's probably pretty accurate, in both hardware AND software.

Don't get me wrong - ID4 is a nice car for the first one by VW in terms of looks, how it drives, how quiet the cabin is, etc. We expect that VW will address some of these things over the next 6-12 months, which is fine (as we will drive the tesla anyway :p for a lot/much of the time). If they don't, we will sell it and get a Model Y for the SO.

I have no doubt the Model S won't be perfect on launch or ever, but as more and more companies go in to the depths of tech hell, I think Teslas are going to shine a bit brighter for years to come.

Last edited:

Just note that, if you are get soured on Tesla with this situation and are looking at other EVS - the legacy OEMs (perhaps except Nissan and GM with the Bolt) are truly very far behind.

We took delivery of an Id4 this last week (someone cancelled, got it early). Let me tell you up front: For a sub $38k car (after rebate), it's a pretty solidly built compact SUV with some of the benefits of an EV (smooth linear acceleration, quiet, sort of - weird noise maker they chose).

HOWEVER, four issues:

- The delivered it to us with a misaligned passenger door (which of course we didn't see until we got home, as we had to take delivery at dusk).

- Bugs. Lots of software bugs. While my Model 3 had bugs as well (some that came and went multiple times lol). This car has even weirder and more noticeable bugs. They clearly got to the point where they said "**** it, ship it"

- VW's app (Car Net) is absolute garbage. We've had the car a week and we have not been able to access any remote features once. Waiting on VW HQ tech support to review our case (expected 1-2 weeks). My tesla remote access never failed in the year I owned it. Also, the phone as a key only failed once, when I was at home...car needed a quick reboot and it never happened again.

- Charging infrastructure - Electrify America sucks balls, has bugs, and only half the chargers ever work. Also, even though VW owns EA, they dont even have their charging locations in their own navigation system. WTF. Tesla's navigation/route planning experience is WAY beyond VWs.

So, gentlemen, if you/your family are out there looking at other EVs - just know they all come with their quirks/bugs, but I feel like with this car we went back to the stone ages versus how seamless the Tesla experience was with tech/charging. So when you hear people say "Tesla is 5 years ahead"...that's probably pretty accurate, in both hardware AND software.

I have no doubt the Model S won't be perfect on launch or ever, but as more and more companies go in to the depths of tech hell, I think Teslas are going to shine a bit brighter for years to come.

Good perspective.

HOWEVER, four issues:

- Charging infrastructure - Electrify America sucks balls, has bugs, and only half the chargers ever work. Also, even though VW owns EA, they dont even have their charging locations in their own navigation system. WTF. Tesla's navigation/route planning experience is WAY beyond VWs.

Don't get me wrong - ID4 is a nice car for the first one by VW in terms of looks, how it drives, how quiet the cabin is, etc. We expect that VW will address some of these things over the next 6-12 months, which is fine (as we will drive the tesla anyway :p for a lot/much of the time). If they don't, we will sell it and get a Model Y for the SO.

Great insight and perspective!

Reactions: pacnwplaid
Except still no competition. At least nothing you can buy today.
I get that. My 2015 P85D is still the standard by which all other EVs fall short. But jeez, a little common courtesy please? When my 2021 comes up for replacement they had better get their act together otherwise the competition will have little problem getting conquest sales.

Can’t wait to see this thread after the earnings call sheds no light on anything. Light it up! There’s no way Elon says anything useful. He’s got to SHOW stuff at this point. If we trust him, they’ve been producing cars for a 4 months and stockpiling them in an underground tunnel or something...
Hopefully at least one analyst on the call is a TMC member and has read all the recent posts. Someone at Tesla needs to provide answers to some very basic questions:
What has caused the delays ?
When will production start ?
Is 'July' a realistic timeframe?