Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S should be an important vehicle for Tesla to compete against the Lucid Air, the EQS, the Taycan, etc... Also, the profit margins on plaid should be pretty healthy considering they're charging $40k more for an extra motor and a few other bits. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they discontinue the X at some point after the Cyber truck is out. Maybe also a 100kw Model Y with Ludicrous.
X has been outselling S for the past couple years....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reactions: foos and T-Racer
I think they'll keep making the Model S/X as Halo cars but they are not that important otherwise to Tesla because of the limited market and growth potential (i.e. good as technology demonstrators and for bragging rights and show but they ultimately don't move the needle). Before sales of the Y really kicked off, Musk said this during earnings about the Model S/X: "They're really niche products," he continued. "I mean, they're very expensive, made in low volume. To be totally frank, we're continuing to make them more for sentimental reasons than anything else. They're really of minor importance to the future."

I really want one but for investors, the Model 3, Y, Cyber truck, and other high volume vehicles are where it's at.

Hypothetical conversation at the earnings call:

Share holder: What do say to those who have ordered the new refreshed MX and MS and are considering cancelling their orders due to the delay and purchasing another EV?

EM: Tesla still makes the best cars. If you decide to cancel, get a MYP. The money you save can go towards FSD and Solar roof. This week we have free powerwalls for some...

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
True or old news?

Attachments

• PNG image 2.png
    PNG image 2.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 65
S & X are in a different marketplace than 3/Y/Cybertruck/Semi/Coupe. They are profitable for Tesla to produce and serve as the flagships for the brand. They are also near and dear to Elon. You most always see him pulling up to business meeting in an S or X. They really make a statement on arrival/departure.

S & X currently have the longest range, smoothest rides, greatest carrying capacity, quickest charging, and significant gravitas. Believe they will be produced for a long time.

S & X are in a different marketplace than 3/Y/Cybertruck/Semi/Coupe. They are profitable for Tesla to produce and serve as the flagships for the brand. They are also near and dear to Elon. You most always see him pulling up to business meeting in an S or X. They really make a statement on arrival/departure.

S & X currently have the longest range, smoothest rides, greatest carrying capacity, quickest charging, and significant gravitas. Believe they will be produced for a long time.
This is all true except the fastest charging statement. As far as I know, the Model 3/Y can charge at 250 kW and the S only charged at 200 kW. That rate got updated with a software update last June for the 100 kWh models to 225 kw. New cell chemistry on the refresh is supposed to remedy this problem and bring the new S up to the same level as 3/Y. My P90DL could not take advantage of V3 superchargers and my 3/Y charged must faster. It has always bothered me that the flagship product had inferior charging speeds to cars 1/2 the price.

Model S Supercharging Speed

Last edited:
I assume we've already talked about this?

The new Model S and Model X have also been exceptionally well received, with the new equipment installed and tested in Q1 and we are in the early stages of ramping production (emphasis mine)

If that's the case, and we have orders going back to October 2020, who's been delivered cars at this point? Early stages of ramping production makes me nervous, particularly since at best they're building 10k/qtr of S/X - makes July really unlikely for the vast majority of reservation holders IMO.

Attachments

• Tesla Q1_2021.PNG
    Tesla Q1_2021.PNG
    45.4 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Moose57
I assume we've already talked about this?

If that's the case, and we have orders going back to October 2020, who's been delivered cars at this point? Early stages of ramping production makes me nervous, particularly since at best they're building 10k/qtr of S/X - makes July really unlikely for the vast majority of reservation holders IMO.
The earnings release has a series of headlines related to margins, expenses and Gigafactories coming online. The last wire is discussing “Tesla Vision” - a vision based autonomous system. We will need to listen to the call to get any further insight on deliveries of Model S - there has been no mention of Model X