Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"More challenges than expected in developing plaid Model S, the new version of model S/X with revised interior, battery pack, internal electronics, PS5 level entertainment system, a lot of issues encountered, took quite a bit of development and make sure the new battery is safe. Trying to get all the details settled in the cars for the past few months. Making refinements and want start delivering by probably next month. Expecting high volume model S's in Q3. As we ramp out demand for the S/X will be quite high. We're going to aim to produce 2k S/X per week. It's a great car. Cost us a little less to produce but is a superior product"

- Elon's summary
So “next month” is May, right?!!

The positive I can take out of this is that the Rivian R1S might be available for a test drive by then and help make my choice easier.
Not sure how anyone can compare an electric SUV or Truck with the the MS LR or Plaid sports sedan? It's a total different type of EV. The Rivian looks nice and I'm sure has decent tech, features, and max battery range (I think > 300 mi.?) but it won't perform and feel like the Tesla MS...just saying. Do you want to drive a truck or an SUV or a sports sedan? I'm sorry but I can't compare these EVs as they're just not in the same category of vehicle just b/c both vehicles have electric motors for their drive-trains. Also -- Rivian is a brand new EV manufacturer and thus far hasn't produced one single EV...if you think Tesla is having problems with manufacturing and delivering the MS (which is now > 10 years old with hundreds of s/w updates and improvements), imagine what's going to happen with Rivian over their first few years? Talk about being a guinea pig? Okie dokie then. Good luck! o_O

BTW -- Although Rivian has major investments from Ford, it's still technically a brand new auto manufacturer. I wouldn't say the same thing about an auto manufacturer like Porsche, Audi, VW, MB, Volvo, JLR, etc. that are now producing EVs...not the same as Rivian and Lucid.

Last edited:
Not sure how anyone can compare an electric SUV or Truck with the the MS LR or Plaid sports sedan? It's a total different type of EV. The Rivian looks nice and I'm sure has decent tech, features, and max battery range (I think > 300 mi.?) but it won't perform and feel like the Tesla MS...just saying. Do you want to drive a truck or an SUV or a sports sedan? I'm sorry but I can't compare these EVs as they're just not in the same category of vehicle just b/c both vehicles have electric motors for their drive-trains. Also -- Rivian is a brand new EV manufacturer and thus far hasn't produced one single EV...if you think Tesla is having problems with manufacturing and delivering the MS (which is now > 10 years old with hundreds of s/w updates and improvements), imagine what's going to happen with Rivian over their first few years? Talk about being a guinea pig? Okie dokie then. Good luck! o_O
you raise valid points :) At this time I am just looking for a commute car, whether its a sports car or a fun SUV, i dont really care as long as its electric, since I have never owned an electric before. I have other cars to satisfy my sports car need and a SUV to haul stuff. Just looking for something new and unique.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
What this really means is don’t expect any meaningful deliveries until next year as we didn’t know what we were doing when we started this…

No reason to cancel my reservations, but definitely have to look at what else is out there, or will be, given the fact he effectively admitted they can’t deliver any time soon.
I thought he said deliveries starting next month... May?

Not sure how anyone can compare an electric SUV or Truck with the the MS LR or Plaid sports sedan?
I think for a subset of buyers, the important thing is that it is an EV and can be flexible beyond that. My first choice is the Model S. but in the past, I have had a Grand Cherokee as my daily driver and loved it, so I would consider an R1S if Tesla cannot deliver on the S in a reasonable timeframe.

Reactions: Leojsayta