Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, what you’re telling me is the reason we’ve seen fewer mules is they were unsafe due to some battery issues?

I think what folks want is honesty and a modicum of transparency for a $100k car. Very reasonable in the real world with real rules for companies who have to be better than their competitors to survive.

However, Tesla never has, and never will, play by the rules or do the expected. They have no real competitors right now either. That’s why the cars are great and the service is total *sugar*.

Just a little off topic here but I'm a bit confused on the TSLA earnings report...crushed the numbers, beat analysts estimates and yet the stock slid > $18 after hours...thoughts as to why (besides the ambiguity on MS LR & Plaid production & deliveries)? btw - my account still says July.
I think there was some disappointment in not having full year production guidance. But that will be short lived. It could still trade up during the day tomorrow, we just have to see.

Great but that is irrelevant to my question. I was curious as to why it dropped > $18 after hours on the earnings report which was glowing and crushed it. I would've thought the stock would go up > $18 not down on news of the 1st qtr report.
From what I’ve read, earnings inflated by credits and Bitcoin sale, which are both non-operating/sustainable income. Without those two items, would have posted a loss.
I think one analyst said loss per vehicle was $900+ or something close to that.

edit: Tesla Loses A Lot Of Money Selling Cars, But Makes It All Back On Credits And Bitcoin

Last edited:
MY was built on M3 platform
Common knowledge. But don't you think a refresh of the same model is easier than a new car like MY, esp since the MY was successful? Why not build on that success?

My take is something besides chip shortages and supply chain issues went very, very wrong, and they have not fixed it yet.

Like, "making the battery safe"

From what I’ve read, earnings inflated by credits and Bitcoin sale, which are both non-operating/sustainable income. Without those two items, would have posted a loss.
I think one analyst said loss per vehicle was $900+ or something close to that.

edit: Tesla Loses A Lot Of Money Selling Cars, But Makes It All Back On Credits And Bitcoin
Well, then let’s count the $200M cost linked to S/X refresh with zero income as a one time item as well, which negates almost exactly the BTC & Reg Credit lines...

Reactions: Cherry Wine
Great but that is irrelevant to my question. I was curious as to why it dropped > $18 after hours on the earnings report which was glowing and crushed it. I would've thought the stock would go up > $18 not down on news of the 1st qtr report.
The earnings report was pretty good overall including improved profit margins. But most of the good news was expected and already priced-in after the delivery numbers were announced 2 weeks ago.
Typical price action; ‘stock trades higher going into earnings (which were good as expected) and then drops when the better than expected news is announced.’
Also, selling some Bitcoin and the credits were a big part of the earnings beat.

• Informative
Reactions: sflgator
You could hear his forehead crumpling as he was saying manufacturing is really really hard. Harder than WWII
In WWII, they were cranking out the equivalent of 17 starships (B-17s) a day...

From a SINGLE plant!

With none of the advantages of modern communication. Not even Teletypes IIRC...

The EQS and Plaid are very different cars. You probably chose plaid instead of LR because of the performance. The EQS looks nice but not a performance car. Maybe Taycan Turbo S makes more sense 👍.
edit: I thought about doing this myself but I’ll just wait for the plaid.
Agreed, I have MS Performance and love it. I also love a good luxury car. I understand I am trading in performance for luxury, and I am ok with that, if the car continues to be delayed. Then will get the Plaid + when it comes out (if it comes out)

Reactions: Drew-MS and Tigers
The earnings report was pretty good overall including improved profit margins. But most of the good news was expected and already priced-in after the delivery numbers were announced 2 weeks ago.
Typical price action; ‘stock trades higher going into earnings (which were good as expected) and then drops when the better than expected news is announced.’
Also, selling some Bitcoin and the credits were a big part of the earnings beat.
The next price action is on the giga factory in Berlin opening. The second will be the giga factory opening in Texas. Analysts are looking for how tesla will meet demand.

Plaid+ blue/white. Ordered in Sept 2020

I couldnt wait any longer - I pulled the trigger on an amazing used Model S Performance with Ludacris - 10k miles and got it for about 40k less!

Attachments

• 1BD204DF-6BFC-4CFA-B8E3-41D09268165E.jpeg
    1BD204DF-6BFC-4CFA-B8E3-41D09268165E.jpeg
    576.9 KB · Views: 90
  • 3397F3A7-DD1E-4214-9FEE-8F1600FA48F3.jpeg
    3397F3A7-DD1E-4214-9FEE-8F1600FA48F3.jpeg
    838.3 KB · Views: 50
Just a little off topic here but I'm a bit confused on the TSLA earnings report...crushed the numbers, beat analysts estimates and yet the stock slid > $18 after hours...thoughts as to why (besides the ambiguity on MS LR & Plaid production & deliveries)? btw - my account still says July.
Who know what the market is reacting too. One thing I always look at is how much of the automobile revenues were from selling cars vs selling credits. In Q1 they had net income of $533M (yay) but $513 of that was selling credit, so only $15M of net income from selling cars, so some folks might find that worrisome. OTOH, the P/E is ~1,200 so not that many people are worried about it. :)

It blows my mind that anyone can believe that Tesla will be delivering the Cybertruck this year. If they’re having this much trouble working the gremlins out of a refreshed model S, how the hell are they going to deliver the Cybertruck this year. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cybertruck gets delayed until well into next year.

So glad I have a Rivian on order.

It blows my mind that anyone can believe that Tesla will be delivering the Cybertruck this year. If they’re having this much trouble working the gremlins out of a refreshed model S, how the hell are they going to deliver the Cybertruck this year. I wouldn’t be shocked if the Cybertruck gets delayed until well into next year.

So glad I have a Rivian on order.
Off topic, but there’s no guarantee Rivian will deliver on time and they will certainly have their own issues. As will Lucid, etc. It IS hard to be an auto startup.

Delivery is still estimated as “-“. I no longer view it as a dash, but as a negative sign. As in “not gonna happen any time soon…”