Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or maybe real world range will improve this time, regardless of the rating? That'd be great.

Yes - also true. One of the things I like about my ID4 so far - not paying attention at all on how we are driving it, but it is getting a bit more than what they say it will, even on the highway at 70-75mph.

I do hope "412" means a legitimate 412.

@omarsultan - probably raised the price to pay for R&D using the initial (1st year or so) of deliveries, then dropping back down to $75k-ish, next year, if the tax credit doesnt apply again. If the tax credit applies, wouldnt be surprised to see it stay at $80k or go to $85k.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Great but that is irrelevant to my question. I was curious as to why it dropped > $18 after hours on the earnings report which was glowing and crushed it. I would've thought the stock would go up > $18 not down on news of the 1st qtr report.
The earnings reports being "released" yesterday is really just for us peasants. The major investment firms that drive meaningful changes in stock prices know all of those things (or at least have a reasonable projection) before that call happens. It is like watching a graduation ceremony...everyone knows the grades they have, that is just handing out a certificate for the masses

Also, someone I think said this earlier but didn't see a response...The website now says new orders for the Plaid are expected to be delivered in June-July and a new LR says Aug-Sep. Is this because there are just a *sugar* ton more LR that have been ordered and jumping in the Plaid queue now is just shorter? Or will they start clearing the backlog of ALL of the MS orders by pumping out the one that appreciably doesn't cost a whole lot more to manufacture, but nets a bunch more coin on the sticker price? Which puts those of us poor-folks who could only cough up $100k at the back of the line.

Glad I canceled and went with my 18 100D (11/18 Manu date). Plus my previous car would not have made it until Aug/Sept. If the refresh ends up as good as I am hoping, I can always trade.

Pic is not the best, but getting wrap/ceramic done and will take pics after that.

Attachments

• IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3053.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 65
I think you are right. If folks want to listen, Elon starts talking about the refresh at the 19:13 mark - the link on ir.tesla.com will take you the recording. On listening again, I also caught that he was talking about storing more energy in a smaller space--man, audio was awful on this call.
It sounded like Elon was calling in from home (he said he was on mute at some point and you could hear kids crying in the background) so his audio was bad, but the rest of the Tesla team sounded good. That, and Elon tends to mumble quite a bit.

Reactions: aerodyne and foos
Thermal runaway while charging in my garage or in launch mode, would be a bad thing. I don't think that's the issue but regardless, I can wait another month or two until they are confident with delivering the new battery pack. This forum is getting a bit noisy for me, I will check back in a couple weeks and/or post my VIN when I receive it. Hang in there everyone, cheers.

Also, someone I think said this earlier but didn't see a response...The website now says new orders for the Plaid are expected to be delivered in June-July and a new LR says Aug-Sep. Is this because there are just a *sugar* ton more LR that have been ordered and jumping in the Plaid queue now is just shorter? Or will they start clearing the backlog of ALL of the MS orders by pumping out the one that appreciably doesn't cost a whole lot more to manufacture, but nets a bunch more coin on the sticker price? Which puts those of us poor-folks who could only cough up $100k at the back of the line.
So one of the things I got from the Earnings Call was there were Tesla Model S that were produced but they are sitting somewhere in storage and due to design upgrades / issues they have to update those. I agree the Plaid queue is shorter but they are a higher margin item which Tesla has had a history of prioritizing especially if they need to make the quarter numbers look better due to the delivery delays. I'm a bit on the fence on taking delivery of a "frankenstein" S that might not have been fully thought out but I'll probably keep my reservation and wait and see.

Who know what the market is reacting too. One thing I always look at is how much of the automobile revenues were from selling cars vs selling credits. In Q1 they had net income of $533M (yay) but $513 of that was selling credit, so only $15M of net income from selling cars, so some folks might find that worrisome. OTOH, the P/E is ~1,200 so not that many people are worried about it. :)
Buy on the rumour, sell on the news...

Glad I canceled and went with my 18 100D (11/18 Manu date). Plus my previous car would not have made it until Aug/Sept. If the refresh ends up as good as I am hoping, I can always trade.

Pic is not the best, but getting wrap/ceramic done and will take pics after that.
I think you made a good decision. A month ago, I may have felt different. I’m really mad at myself for selling my P100D in early March. That car was sweeeet.
Should have kept it and left my plaid plus order alone 🙈.

White MXLR, white ext creme int, FSD, 6 seater. all the rest is standard.
Order placed on Jan 28.
Estimated delivery still says April.

btw. when folks say MSM what the last "M" stands for?

p.s. I know this is thread about MS, but I find it much more active than other threads in this forum, so sticking in here.

I’d be curious to know how many more LR orders compared to Plaid. It’s probably significant, maybe 3 or 4 LR for every 1 plaid order. Even though I ordered plaid, I’ll admit the LR is a smarter purchase. Regardless, I’m still going with plaid ha 😄

I may be in the crazy minority now but I am even more excited about getting the car and not worried about being an early adopter or getting one of the first off the line.
I’m also super excited about getting the car but this is a place I can be honest. I’m a little uneasy about getting one of the first. That said, when Tesla informs me I can pick up my car (even if I’m the first one,) you’ll never see me move faster lol.

I think you made a good decision. A month ago, I may have felt different. I’m really mad at myself for selling my P100D in early March. That car was sweeeet.
Should have kept it and left my plaid plus order alone 🙈.
Bummer. I was willing to wait, especially since I was supposed to get the $2K "discount" and supposedly on the priority list, but the car I traded in was getting long in the tooth and kinda made the decision for me. The great thing that this did for me was to experience an S, albeit an older one, but an S nonetheless (and the last one I tested was a 2015 model, and also tested a Y, did care for it) and I have been loving this car since I got it, looking for any excuse to drive. Lunch, drive to Wendy's. Ran outta yogurt for the kid, run to the store. Forgot milk, run back. Trader Joes, sure. The S drives so much nicer than my 535 I had and I LOVED that car. The power? I would be preaching to the choir to talk about that. The air suspension? Smooth but not mushy. Audio is nice.

Ok, to bring this back to the topic, I cancelled my refresh order, but will keep this forum in my open tabs until you all start seeing VINs and then I will probably get the itch.

OK, going to the store now. Wife is laughing every time I do this. Need some roast beef.

Re: early VINs, my S was #15xxx so about one year in to production and about the time they started to ramp and it was one of the most trouble-free cars I have ever owned. My wife's X was prod VIN 4xx and it did have some SW bugaboos at first with door sensors (which were quickly fixed) but, otherwise, it has been pretty trouble-free (FWDs have been great).

In light of my experiences with those cars, I am not worried about getting an early build.

PS Order page still says July

The earnings reports being "released" yesterday is really just for us peasants. The major investment firms that drive meaningful changes in stock prices know all of those things (or at least have a reasonable projection) before that call happens. It is like watching a graduation ceremony...everyone knows the grades they have, that is just handing out a certificate for the masses
Look - Musk can only make profit by buying / selling Bitcoin and selling emissions credits.

If you take both out of the equation - it was another quarterly loss.

Some day the peasants may get a clue.

I never saw before that Tesla has a button on its website where you can chat with with a representative. (Is this new?) Discussion below:

Tesla Rep

Hi, I'm Tesla Rep! I hope you and your family are safe and well during these times. Thank you for chatting in. How can I help you today Me?

Me

Hi. Could you please let me know when my car will be delivered?

Tesla Rep

Congrats on the Model S order! One moment while I check on that for you It looks like we are going to be delivering your Model S in July!

Me

Did you just read what the website information says? Or do you actually have any information suggesting that the car will actually be delivered in July?

Tesla Rep

Correct, the website has a timeline of August-September for new orders

Me

The website told me March.

Tesla Rep

Since you have a current order, we are aiming for a July delivery. We did have a March timeline on the Model S and X but due to items out of our control, we were not able to meet that timeline. Rest assured we are making sure we have the vehicle perfect for delivery in July

Me

What items out of your control?

Tesla Rep

As for the Model S and X delays, we have resumed production on the vehicles here in Fremont and the new timeline was updated on the account. You should hear shortly when the vehicle is ready for delivery via text and email