Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your SA is talking to you? Mine gets audibly upset whenever I ask for an update (once every 5 weeks or so).
I hardly ever get to speak to the SA who took my order last year. She's either out or helping someone else. However, any other SA who comes to the phone has always been courteous and sympathetic. I imagine they're pretty weary of answering the same question numerous times a week (not from me though).

I literally don't even have an SA. The one who sold me my model 3 called me the day I ordered the S but has since moved into another role. So, yeah...
Y'all talk about SAs. I ordered online. No contact ever from a real SA. I've got a poor sap that's in inside sales (because I scheduled a test drive and got ahold of his email hah) I email every once in a while. When you order online do you typically get an SA assigned that might have emailed you? I literally haven't gotten a person ever except for the test drive peeps.
Screenshot_20210428-153653_Gmail.jpg

Saw a post at teslarati about changing delivery dates for new orders. September for the MSLR. This is in the US, probably. The original date in Europe was september 2021. Now new orders say q1 2022 For the Netherlands.

Hope that this is for new orders only as otherwise my existing order shifts from september to - possibly - March (7 month delay). And that will likely be my trigger to cancel my order, but i’ll check with Tesla Netherlands first if existing orders will be delivered in 2021. Otherwise one less tesla customer here, selling my m3lr and move to vw id4 or Hyundai ioniq. Unless your reviews in the US are realllllllly positive, without any remark. Or they’ll have to throw in a bunch of free supercharging kilometers. Like 10.000 km …

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: foos and lsds
Disclaimer: This is from a phone call from my SA this morning. This is the info he is receiving from his higher-ups. Take it for that...

S:
- website dates are for new orders with Plaid first and LR next
- priority orders will be filled for both LR and Plaid
- he stated that they expect to start shooting out VIN's soon and I could see a VIN near end of next week but no guarantees

X:
- Show Q3 but did not distinguish between "priority" and "new" orders so priorities may be earlier - he is not sure

We have one of each on order.

My trade-in expires May 11th. He stated that an incomplete task list can hurt your delivery so if I do not have a VIN or date by the 11th to just take out the trade-in and put back in later so my account will show all tasks complete. Since it may be a couple months, he took the trade-in off the Model X order so it will show all tasks complete and add in when a VIN appears.

Again, just passing on information rec'd from Tesla. I can neither confirm nor deny it will actually happen.
That feels right-ish - maybe start to see east-coast VINs first then west-coast VINs in late May and June.

That feels right-ish - maybe start to see east-coast VINs first then west-coast VINs in late May and June.
I have seen East Coast orders first a couple of times on this forum. Where is this coming from and what evidence exists to support such a conclusion? This will be my 6th Tesla and I have never seen or heard of this before.

If the first batch of cars start leaving Fremont in the 3rd week of June then the EOQ rush will go entirely to CA buyers. Getting as many cars as possible off the books as quickly as possible will mean those orders closest to Fremont will get their cars first. I don’t see anyway around this.

I can't disagree with anything above, but Wall Street don't care as long as they see Alpha...

I think the refresh will cause a major shift of opinion.

They better not screw up CT.
And I agree with you -- Wall Street doesn't care about what I care about.

Hey - I do hope the refresh is a home run. I'd love to see some reliability out of the gate - then might actually consider another S down the line. For now - remain skeptical.

I have seen East Coast orders first a couple of times on this forum. Where is this coming from and what evidence exists to support such a conclusion? This will be my 6th Tesla and I have never seen or heard of this before.

If the first batch of cars start leaving Fremont in the 3rd week of June then the EOQ rush will go entirely to CA buyers. Getting as many cars as possible off the books as quickly as possible will mean those orders closest to Fremont will get their cars first. I don’t see anyway around this.
I would have thought the same thing, but my TA just confirmed he has seen this for other launches, more specifically the Y. However, this does not mean that S will follow suite.

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Too bad that what Tesla is really good at is expanding the truth.

Their timelines for the release of the refreshed S and X were an absolute joke, and continue to be the case.

Elon claims autopilot had no role with the recent crash in Texas... lie.

Elon signs contracts for solar roofs then says - oh - we were off by 70% in our calculations... here's your price increase.

Elon screwed me on my Model S warranty.

I could go on... but his actions speak louder than anyone's words.
Hi @Cleo-n-Company, what is the current status of your MS order? Did you go with Plaid, or LR?

• Disagree
Reactions: foos
Tesla should be more supportive of a Tesla trade-in for a new Tesla. It was a major turn-off receiving an offer from Tesla for a Tesla which was 25%+ lower than the next lowest offer. My preference was trade-in my P100D when the plaid was ready. Regardless, they should try to accommodate with a fair offer when potential customers want to trade-in a luxury ice car for a Tesla. Isn't this Tesla's mission ?
According to a Tesla SR, Tesla does not actually take trades into it's inventory. They have a network of used car dealers and they get offers from interested dealers who bid for your trade. They pass the best offer to you. I am trading a 2018 Honda Clarity for an S Refresh which has been on order since mid March. The trade price which I have accepted is better than the Edmunds estimated trade offer price and more than I expected.

Don't disagree, but if they start shipping them out sooner, say mid-May, early June, I think you'll see some of those slotted for the East coast. Elon said deliveries would start "very soon" whatever that means and apparently they have partially built cars squirreled away somewhere so perhaps production re-start could happen sooner than later.

On Tesla buying your used Tesla: In the beginning, say PRE-2016 or so, they actually were pretty competitive on buying back cars because they had to make sure they supported the secondary market (I think) while people were still wondering whether a 5 year old EV would be as bad as a 5 year old iPhone. Today, with Carmax, caravana, vroom, etc, and a big pool of buyers, there’s a very healthy used market and Tesla doesn’t want to be in it as it’s not part of their main business and they don’t need to support it.

On delivery - my SA is awesome and responsive, but I still take his word at about the same level as my 5 year old. It’ll come when it comes at this point. Still have “-“ for estimate delivery.

Just bought a nice inventory MSM LR Y with white interior to hold me through this otherwise insufferable period.

Champagne problem, I know.

Too bad that what Tesla is really good at is expanding the truth.

Their timelines for the release of the refreshed S and X were an absolute joke, and continue to be the case.

Elon claims autopilot had no role with the recent crash in Texas... lie.

Elon signs contracts for solar roofs then says - oh - we were off by 70% in our calculations... here's your price increase.

Elon screwed me on my Model S warranty.

I could go on... but his actions speak louder than anyone's words.

my only experience with Tesla other than this fiasco was renting a model S 4 years ago. It was clearly the best car I’ve ever been in, for my tastes (modern aesthetic, great technology, great to drive). I’ve been in Aston Martin, Porsche, Maserati, and high end Mercedes and bmw. So I really look forward to the refresh. but this experience — and reading the news reports regarding the solar roof buyers — has really soured me on Tesla the company. It does seem that Tesla the car is superior to Tesla the company.

Just adding one more meaningless data point, my SA here in Seattle mentioned that he expects my (and other LR) VINs by mid-May but he asked to be 'cautiously optimistic' at best given the delays so far. I ordered a week or so before refresh announcement. RN 1143.
Now that we know some of the issues and caused delays (assuming truthful,) I’m perfectly fine waiting until it’s sorted. Any issues with the new battery chemistry is much different than chip shortages. At least waiting makes more sense now than a few days ago. We wanted an explanation and we got one, sort of.