Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Putting aside his unreasonable criticism of Tesla for using the industry standard measurement method...

Is there any analysis elsewhere for his claim that the minimum acceleration time can’t be less than the minimum braking time? I think the physics is pretty challenging there and complicated by things like ABS. I’m not saying he’s wrong; I’m just saying it’s not clear to me that he is correct.
To keep it in simple terms - g-force acts against forward linear motion.. So, the braking time or deceleration will be less as g-force will aid for coming to a full stop. For acceleration, g-force is negative and car has to work against it.. the net time for acceleration to certain speed will be more compared to deceleration.

Kind of fun video from a great YouTuber on the MS Plaid acceleration (1 ft rollout)
This was a fantastic video. Thank you for posting this!

Since the maximum force with which a car can push against the road is limited by the friction coefficient of the tire multiplied by the normal force, it is clear that Tesla is now approaching the maximum acceleration possible within the confines of the laws of physics. The only way to improve acceleration would be with racing slicks or thrusters.

If you do an apples to apples comparison you quickly realize that the standard LR Model S will do 0-60 in approximately 2.85 seconds with 1 ft of rollout. The acceleration benefits of the plaid are definitely restricted by traction at lower speeds. It makes one question the value proposition of paying 40K more for the plaid to gain 8/10th of a second to 60. The clear benefits will be achieved with passing power at higher freeway speeds.

For what it is worth, my SA just texted that they have begun receiving deliveries, expects my MS to be there early June. This was the first time she responded to an inquiry quickly so perhaps she was happy that there was some ligitimate good news.
AND, if that is the case, mind sharing your Config, location, Order date? The rest of us will pretend she is not making it up and we see the light at the end of the tunnel.

This was a fantastic video. Thank you for posting this!

Since the maximum force with which a car can push against the road is limited by the friction coefficient of the tire multiplied by the normal force, it is clear that Tesla is now approaching the maximum acceleration possible within the confines of the laws of physics. The only way to improve acceleration would be with racing slicks or thrusters.

If you do an apples to apples comparison you quickly realize that the standard LR Model S will do 0-60 in approximately 2.85 seconds with 1 ft of rollout. The acceleration benefits of the plaid are definitely restricted by traction at lower speeds. It makes one question the value proposition of paying 40K more for the plaid to gain 8/10th of a second to 60. The clear benefits will be achieved with passing power at higher freeway speeds.
a 0.8 sec difference is approx 7-8 car lengths in the 1/4 mi, so to most sports car and car racing enthusiasts, that's a SIGNIFICANT difference. Again the difference between an 800 HP/TQ car vs. a 1,020 HP/TQ car (with both weighing about the same) is HUGE. However, perhaps to a "butt dyno" test and how it feels, it's probably not too much difference though. When you're < 3.0 sec for 0-60MPH, it's ALL crazy, stupid FAST! :p 😎 My '12 GT-R Black Ed (sold in 2019) with 700 HP/TQ running on E85 ran 2.7 sec 0-60MPH and 1/4 mi. in 10.2 sec @ 136MPH...and that was insanely quick! I cannot even imagine what ~ 2.0 sec 0-60MPH and 1/4 mi in ~ 9.2-9.3 sec @ 155MPH feels like with the MS Plaid! Wow...it's going to be nuts!!!! :oops::cool:

Last edited:
a 0.8 sec difference is approx 7-8 car lengths in the 1/4 mi, so to most sports car and car racing enthusiasts, that's a SIGNIFICANT difference. Again the difference between an 800 HP/TQ car vs. a 1,020 HP/TQ car (with both weighing about the same) is HUGE. However, perhaps to a "butt dyno" test and how it feels, it's probably not too much difference though. When you're < 3.0 sec for 0-60MPH, it's ALL crazy, stupid FAST! :p 😎 My '12 GT-R Black Ed (sold in 2019) with 700 HP/TQ running on E85 ran 2.7 sec 0-60MPH and 1/4 mi. in 10.2 sec @ 136MPH...and that was insanely quick! I cannot even imagine what ~ 2.0 sec 0-60MPH and 1/4 mi in ~ 9.2-9.3 sec @ 155MPH feels like with the MS Plaid! Wow...it's going to be nuts!!!! :oops::cool:
Going from 2.85 to 1.99 to 60mph is a night and day feeling difference on the old butt dyno.

0-60 in 2.85s is 0.96G assuming linear acceleration.
0-60 in 1.99s is 1.37G

That's roughly another 74lbs of force against a 200lb drivers butt.

A tire can exceed 1G even without downforce. As it gets hot, rubber deforms and begins to flow into imperfections in road surface varying the effective coefficient of friction.

Going from 2.85 to 1.99 to 60mph is a night and day feeling difference on the old butt dyno.

0-60 in 2.85s is 0.96G assuming linear acceleration.
0-60 in 1.99s is 1.37G

That's roughly another 74lbs of force against a 200lb drivers butt.

A tire can exceed 1G even without downforce. As it gets hot, rubber deforms and begins to flow into imperfections in road surface varying the effective coefficient of friction.
Yeah I remember my 2008 AMG with about 600HP RWD (12.0 @ 119 MPH 1/4 mi. car) vs. my 2012 GT-R with 700 HP/TQ (10.2 @ 136MPH) AWD...it was a night/day difference...profound! :oops: :cool:

Reactions: T-Racer
For what it is worth, my SA just texted that they have begun receiving deliveries, expects my MS to be there early June. This was the first time she responded to an inquiry quickly so perhaps she was happy that there was some ligitimate good news.

My guess is that she meant VIN's and not actual deliveries. VIN's are coming soon but no deliveries yet. So still good news.

Attachments

• 71rKAX68lhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71rKAX68lhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 92
Putting aside his unreasonable criticism of Tesla for using the industry standard measurement method...

Is there any analysis elsewhere for his claim that the minimum acceleration time can’t be less than the minimum braking time? I think the physics is pretty challenging there and complicated by things like ABS. I’m not saying he’s wrong; I’m just saying it’s not clear to me that he is correct.
Actually, his self-admitted error factors are likely going to have his video not age well.

Elon is a physicist, engineer, and rocket scientist; he had attracted crazy-smart others who will all ensure the goals are met. With enough really bright engineers Tesla can accomplish much . . . .

Reactions: T-Racer
AND, if that is the case, mind sharing your Config, location, Order date? The rest of us will pretend she is not making it up and we see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Gray/cream LR, North Carolina, Jan 24. Text attached. The SA has been super nice but info not overly reliable.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 3.05.31 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-05-05 at 3.05.31 PM.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 71
Gray/cream LR, North Carolina, Jan 24. Text attached. The SA has been super nice but info not overly reliable.
Yeah not sure what she means by "cars are arriving now from the factory?" What cars...M3, MY? LOL. I don't believe any refresh MS Plaid (or LR) have arrived anywhere yet, but let's be hopeful she knows something nobody else does. My Tesla account still says July and I ordered 2/5/21.