Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I do not work for Tesla, I have no inside connections, I do not get calls from my SA (though the two times I have called him since I ordered in December, he stated he was just about to call me)… I’m just a guy excited about my first Tesla…

This is my first post. It doesn’t seem like a lot of people are talking about the possibility of Tesla incorporating drive by wire (steer by wire) technology into the refresh, which may be part of the reason for the delay… but not certain. If you are not familiar with drive by wire, there are a few videos online (this is one of the best ones that demonstrate the tech and its capabilities:
)... note that the video is 3 years old. The latest photos in the Teslarati article have two photos to indicate they may be incorporating drive by wire:

1. If you compare the yoke position to the position of the wheels, you will notice that the yoke is slightly turned and the wheels are turned in a fair amount. I can’t speak for all car types (and do not currently own a Tesla), but based on the photo angles, I think my current car would require ~180 degree turn of the steering wheel to obtain the equivalent wheel turn.

2. The “steering column” has a significant notch… my hypothesis is that this notch and the removal of the stalks are to enable the yoke to be stowed when not in use (when FSD is enabled). Since the yoke has a very square base, the yoke could be stowed without coming in contact with your legs (particularly for taller drivers).

If they are incorporating drive by wire, this eliminates the mechanical linkage and need for a traditional steering column. I presume this saves significant cost - both with components and ease of manufacturing both left-hand drive and right-hand drive vehicles.

Just my thoughts… but I think Tesla has not disclosed a lot of the new tech they are incorporating into the refresh. I believe they want to make a big splash (especially with the new competition)… which would include showcasing the latest FSD with drive by wire technology (including a stowable yoke). Perhaps this is just wishful thinking… but this may explain some of the “odd” design choices that have been incorporated and reason for the delays.

That being said, I have not ordered FSD. If the above is true… it sure is compelling.

RN1142 (Dec 11 - East Coast) MS LR White ext./Black int + Arachnids

No, you're 100% correct.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Tesla, I have no inside connections, I do not get calls from my SA (though the two times I have called him since I ordered in December, he stated he was just about to call me)… I’m just a guy excited about my first Tesla…

This is my first post. It doesn’t seem like a lot of people are talking about the possibility of Tesla incorporating drive by wire (steer by wire) technology into the refresh, which may be part of the reason for the delay… but not certain. If you are not familiar with drive by wire, there are a few videos online (this is one of the best ones that demonstrate the tech and its capabilities:
)... note that the video is 3 years old. The latest photos in the Teslarati article have two photos to indicate they may be incorporating drive by wire:

1. If you compare the yoke position to the position of the wheels, you will notice that the yoke is slightly turned and the wheels are turned in a fair amount. I can’t speak for all car types (and do not currently own a Tesla), but based on the photo angles, I think my current car would require ~180 degree turn of the steering wheel to obtain the equivalent wheel turn.

2. The “steering column” has a significant notch… my hypothesis is that this notch and the removal of the stalks are to enable the yoke to be stowed when not in use (when FSD is enabled). Since the yoke has a very square base, the yoke could be stowed without coming in contact with your legs (particularly for taller drivers).

If they are incorporating drive by wire, this eliminates the mechanical linkage and need for a traditional steering column. I presume this saves significant cost - both with components and ease of manufacturing both left-hand drive and right-hand drive vehicles.

Just my thoughts… but I think Tesla has not disclosed a lot of the new tech they are incorporating into the refresh. I believe they want to make a big splash (especially with the new competition)… which would include showcasing the latest FSD with drive by wire technology (including a stowable yoke). Perhaps this is just wishful thinking… but this may explain some of the “odd” design choices that have been incorporated and reason for the delays.

That being said, I have not ordered FSD. If the above is true… it sure is compelling.

Yeah, one thing that was suspected a while ago with the new 1/2 steering wheel "yoke" was that Tesla is somehow doing some sort of computer controlled variable steering, so for example, at slow speeds, a very slight turn will turn the wheel A LOT more than normal (like for u-turns and slow speed sharp turns) while at high speeds, the new yoke steering wheel will act fairly normal since you're driving mostly straight or just easy, slight turns on the highway. I've even sent emails to people at Tesla (my SA and his managers) expressing my concerns and asking exactly HOW the new yoke steering wheel works BEFORE I take delivery.

BUT, again, they ALL stay SILENT and don't explain sh!t even though you're spending > $100k on a vehicle with perhaps a new technology and a new shape/style of steering wheel which all but eliminates the time-tested and true hand-over-hand steering technique for sharp turns and u-turns! :rolleyes::mad:

Exactly why I have not put down a deposit on a Plaid +. Wait and see what real buyers say about their new delivered $160K vehicle...

M
I put down a $1000 (refundable) deposit for a Plaid+ when it was announced 9/22 on Battery Day, that $1000 has now performed better than any of my other investments as it now represents a $12,000 discount from current list price. I wish it would show up sooner than a nebulous "in about a year from now", but I'm OK waiting.

I might be late to this too, but i was assuming that the Yolk HAD to mean drive-by-wire. The whole concept of not having a round wheel is pointless if you have to turn it past 90 degrees or so (straight vertical) in either direction. You should be able to leave your hands on it, otherwise you likely will screw up and drop the wheel. I imagine that they go with a yolk to model airplane performance, where you only ever need to turn a max of 90 degrees, and the radius of your turn only depends on your speed (full vertical at slow speed would be full throw of the wheels for a U-turn, and full vertical at high speeds would be the max safe displacement for a turn that the car can do at the speed, as determined by the computer). If all they did was chop the top and bottom off of the wheel to make it look cooler, it is an absolute waste and i can't imagine wanting that...plus it doesn't seem very "Tesla" to do. Anyone with inside knowledge have reasonable evidence that the yolk is supposed to work this way, or are we all in speculation-land on it?

I might be late to this too, but i was assuming that the Yolk HAD to mean drive-by-wire. The whole concept of not having a round wheel is pointless if you have to turn it past 90 degrees or so (straight vertical) in either direction. You should be able to leave your hands on it, otherwise you likely will screw up and drop the wheel. I imagine that they go with a yolk to model airplane performance, where you only ever need to turn a max of 90 degrees, and the radius of your turn only depends on your speed (full vertical at slow speed would be full throw of the wheels for a U-turn, and full vertical at high speeds would be the max safe displacement for a turn that the car can do at the speed, as determined by the computer). If all they did was chop the top and bottom off of the wheel to make it look cooler, it is an absolute waste and i can't imagine wanting that...plus it doesn't seem very "Tesla" to do. Anyone with inside knowledge have reasonable evidence that the yolk is supposed to work this way, or are we all in speculation-land on it?

Speculation has gotten this thread to 1358 pages - why spoil with evidence or fact?

Honestly, it’s not very common to need to turn a regular steering wheel more than 90 degrees. Simple situations like u turn that are easy with one hand.

this would explain why they had to go to all the Best Buy stores in the Bay Area to buy usb cables.

‘It’s been around.

• Informative
Reactions: BigNick

Kind of fun video from a great YouTuber on the MS Plaid acceleration (1 ft rollout)
Putting aside his unreasonable criticism of Tesla for using the industry standard measurement method...

Is there any analysis elsewhere for his claim that the minimum acceleration time can’t be less than the minimum braking time? I think the physics is pretty challenging there and complicated by things like ABS. I’m not saying he’s wrong; I’m just saying it’s not clear to me that he is correct.