Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What exactly is the “logistics lot” and what is the significance of vehicles being seen there? How does it differ from other lots?
This is the logistics lot--it is where the stage cars before they are put on carriers--if you look at the left edge of this pic, you can see a carrier turning into he lot.

1620174993771.png

New here....Question to y’all about order / delivery.
Ordered SLR / Red end of March (5wks ago and at that time 10-14wks out). During “Prepare For Delivery” I stopped after Driver Registration. I didnt fill out Trade In info (probably will) or loan info since those only last for 30-60 day.
Any idea if this will delay anything?

New here....Question to y’all about order / delivery.
Ordered SLR / Red end of March (5wks ago and at that time 10-14wks out). During “Prepare For Delivery” I stopped after Driver Registration. I didnt fill out Trade In info (probably will) or loan info since those only last for 30-60 day.
Any idea if this will delay anything?
It could delay you, yes. Tesla is looking to deliver to folks who are ready and have completed info. That’s just one part of whatever their odd prioritization process is.

Just say “no” to trade and pick all cash or “no” or whatever it is that indicates you aren’t financing. It’s been so long since I reserved, I don’t remember!

You can change all that info as needed when you get a VIN.

It could delay you, yes. Tesla is looking to deliver to folks who are ready and have completed info. That’s just one part of whatever their odd prioritization process is.

Just say “no” to trade and pick all cash or “no” or whatever it is that indicates you aren’t financing. It’s been so long since I reserved, I don’t remember!

You can change all that info as needed when you get a VIN.
Great idea. Thanks!

What exactly is the “logistics lot” and what is the significance of vehicles being seen there? How does it differ from other lots?
Other lots are staging lots. Not completed cars. Logistics lot is the lot where they're lined up to be put on a transport carrier. That's why the lines are the way they are. Cars lined up trucks back in, cars get loaded on.

It's definitely a good sign that there are some over there.

The wrap is interesting. Maybe some of them are local deliveries where the ones that get the wrap are the more long distance deliveries?

Other lots are staging lots. Not completed cars. Logistics lot is the lot where they're lined up to be put on a transport carrier. That's why the lines are the way they are. Cars lined up trucks back in, cars get loaded on.

The wrap is interesting. Maybe some of them are local deliveries where the ones that get the wrap are the more long distance deliveries?
Great, thank you for the detailed explanation. Very helpful!

It’s strange. I pass by Corte Madera Ca. and Colma Ca. lots on a daily basis and some cars are wrapped.....some not.
Both these lots are within 1hr of the Fremont factory. Trucks are usually offloading early AM.

Reactions: doubleshot
IDK - something feels "off" for deliveries to be happening any time soon. Are they really going to ship cars to people without any overview of features/how to use the new smart shift/etc.? I mean, people are just going to show up on delivery day and be somewhat surprised at the new UI and all the *sugar*?

IDK - I realize it was no big deal for Model Y, as it was the same *sugar* as Model 3...but given all of the crazy ass changes, Tesla has got to put something out first imo.

But, what makes the OP and Teslarati think it’s a MS Plaid? I don’t see the rear carbon fiber spoiler nor a trunk PLAID badge so isn’t this a MS LR with upgraded wheels and the white/black interior?
Calling it a plaid gets more clicks.

I don't think these continued sightings mean anything. It sems like Tesla built ~100 cars back in March for testing/publicity/VIPs and those cars are being driven still. I also suspect that Elon isn't really involved in the refresh and when someone told him they were starting work on this batch of cars he heard "production" and that's what got said during the February call.

Kim

OMG... hopefully this is an early MULE... I am usually not one to be "that guy" when it comes to panel gaps, etc... BUT, check out the two front fenders where they meet the hood..... Looks like they used a Sawzall to cut the fenders!!

On the front fender you can see it is knocked out of place. The lower valance has a scuff where the driver hit a curb with it maybe hard enough to misalign?

As to the rocker covers and rear some of those gaps just look like a soup sandwhich.

Reactions: Lesran and TNGuy99
hopefully we keep getting more and more sightings...
Disclaimer: I do not work for Tesla, I have no inside connections, I do not get calls from my SA (though the two times I have called him since I ordered in December, he stated he was just about to call me)… I’m just a guy excited about my first Tesla…

This is my first post. It doesn’t seem like a lot of people are talking about the possibility of Tesla incorporating drive by wire (steer by wire) technology into the refresh, which may be part of the reason for the delay… but not certain. If you are not familiar with drive by wire, there are a few videos online (this is one of the best ones that demonstrate the tech and its capabilities:
)... note that the video is 3 years old. The latest photos in the Teslarati article have two photos to indicate they may be incorporating drive by wire:

1. If you compare the yoke position to the position of the wheels, you will notice that the yoke is slightly turned and the wheels are turned in a fair amount. I can’t speak for all car types (and do not currently own a Tesla), but based on the photo angles, I think my current car would require ~180 degree turn of the steering wheel to obtain the equivalent wheel turn.

2. The “steering column” has a significant notch… my hypothesis is that this notch and the removal of the stalks are to enable the yoke to be stowed when not in use (when FSD is enabled). Since the yoke has a very square base, the yoke could be stowed without coming in contact with your legs (particularly for taller drivers).

If they are incorporating drive by wire, this eliminates the mechanical linkage and need for a traditional steering column. I presume this saves significant cost - both with components and ease of manufacturing both left-hand drive and right-hand drive vehicles.

Just my thoughts… but I think Tesla has not disclosed a lot of the new tech they are incorporating into the refresh. I believe they want to make a big splash (especially with the new competition)… which would include showcasing the latest FSD with drive by wire technology (including a stowable yoke). Perhaps this is just wishful thinking… but this may explain some of the “odd” design choices that have been incorporated and reason for the delays.

That being said, I have not ordered FSD. If the above is true… it sure is compelling.

RN1142 (Dec 11 - East Coast) MS LR White ext./Black int + Arachnids

Sloppy or lazy journalism.
Agreed. I've found this to be the norm for "EV Industry" reporting. However, much of the reported "Tesla news" is just speculation like we do here since Tesla does not provide any real information other than what's said during a quarterly report & conference call. It's past the time for Tesla to re-implement a PR/Media Relations Dept.

Reactions: TNGuy99