Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope not; I ordered 2/5/21 and I’m paying cash for a MS Plaid with no trade in. It would be a good financial decision to deliver my car and those like me first. But not sure if Tesla makes good financial decisions or not? Certainly they choose not to communicate, not to advertise, and not to care much about what people think…as long as they put our good EVs.

Except for China. Tesla will bend over backwards to communicate in China. In the US they could not care less and I don’t think that will change until they start losing significant sales to competitors.

Reactions: croman
They're not keen on trade-ins and sure, financing gives them the $$ fairly quickly from the bank but a bank cashier's check, cash or wire transfer puts the $$ in thier hands immediately and we all know that profits on the Plaid are more than profits on the LR which seems to be the only logical reason why they appear to be delivering the Plaids first (although that has yet to be proven).
The car sale with the revenue (and profit) is separate accounting from cash. What you are describing is really no advantage to them, in fact it would be extra expense to build and deliver cars based on payment type vs the batch processing they do today.

FWIW, I called my local SA to get an update. I was thinking that they may have solid information before I see my " - " change to something credible.

After explaining I ordered in 2020, even without looking up my reservation, they made 2 statements that were news to me:

1) The delay in production is due to a chip shortage.
2) Even with a Dec 2020 reservation, delivery will likely be in September.
The weekend before my order, I test drove the Audi S6 and was told the same thing by the salesman. He said "there is an industry wide chip shortage so if you want a car for September, you need to order it in June."

Is it me or does anyone else wish the black trim was like the 3/Y and a satin finish because now you’re going to get water spots and even worse swirls that will look terrible in the sun

My Rover has this gloss trim. After 80k+ miles it has shown swirl and scratches but they have always buffed out when detailed. When cared for, they look good but yes, they can get trashy looking quickly if the care is poor. I do not know the quality of the Tesla trim and if it will be as durable and "fixable".

Reactions: MattCharleston
Hello all!

My first post here, have a MS Plaid Blue/Black on order with RN11478.

After those twitter posts @d1ez3 mentioned the better integrated screen so I thought I'd check out Tesla's website again. The interior pictures on the site now show an integrated screen instead of it being out on a swivel. Since we are all just speculating on why everything is like it is, I figured I'd add a few guesses as why the screen change.

- Crash test might have indicated the swivel as being a weak point and that became dangerous
- Lack of reliable parts and may become a service issue
- They changed it just because they felt like it

Looking forward to the first news of VINs just like everyone else!

Hello all!

After those twitter posts @d1ez3 mentioned the better integrated screen so I thought I'd check out Tesla's website again. The interior pictures on the site now show an integrated screen instead of it being out on a swivel. Since we are all just speculating on why everything is like it is, I figured I'd add a few guesses as why the screen change.

- Crash test might have indicated the swivel as being a weak point and that became dangerous

Welcome and congrats on your purchase. Take the advice you receive from me and others at the value you paid for it.

Regarding the screen, there is no indication that it has changed. Test mules have shown it "fixed" and tilted. This just seems to be in the stowed position. My guess is that production units will still tilt.

Hello all!

@Hayseed_MS

The pictures are exactly the same, I can confirm that, as I've refreshed the page 100x per day for the last 3 months.

However - just looked at the web cache version from Feb - they did indeed remove "left and right tilt" from the text. What the ****?!

For anyone who wants to compare:

before.png

after.png

Attachments

• before.png
    before.png
    499.4 KB · Views: 79