Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really ? Do you know why the East coast first? Since the factory is in Freemont, I assumed they would deliver to CA first.
My first and second Model S orders were both delivered in the last 2 weeks of the quarter. The first deliveries were in Europe, then the East Coast and lastly to those of us in California; I’m in Palm Springs. The explanation I was given was cars manufactured early in the quarter took a few weeks to arrive in Europe (by rail and ship) and the east (rail or truck transport). This sounded about right because I could see customers on this site posting their actual deliveries. I took factory deliver of my first Model S and didn’t get an earlier date by doing so.

Reactions: T-Racer and Drew-MS
So, while I have not been the biggest fan of this process, I feel like some of the criticism today is unwarranted. Tesla is trying to coordinate at least 4 things in order to get you a date:
  1. The order queue, which is pretty well understood
  2. Production capacity which seems to still be an unknown, certainly they will not be running at full capacity any time soon
  3. Supply chain for raw material and parts
  4. Transportation (trains and trucks) capacity to get cars to delivery locations
The 3rd and 4th items are out of Tesla's control and also subject to constant change--as suppliers spin back up through and capacity is locked-up (or, conversely, falls through) timing will shift.