Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took it sort of as It was an embarrassment for him and the company and that the team is/was still tweaking *sugar*. After that, though, he just came in and said enough is enough, just get to whatever acceptable state and ship it. IDK - I didnt take it that Elon was slacking off and not pushing the team, moreso it was one of the last straws.

Keep in mind - this was definitely gossip, not something he was told officially lol.
Fair enough

Alright - some of you heathens are getting out of hand.

Anyway - I did my monthly stop by to pester the Tesla people today, here's what I got:

- They aren't expecting any showroom S/X at all for the time being, customers are being prioritized (@Hayseed_MS)
- He said that the rumor is they are delivering the first 100 vehicles during the event, those are likely the ones we see in the flyover
- The UFC guy really shook Elon and he basically told the team that they need to get *sugar* wrapped now for deliveries (more software side of the house, is what he hinted).
- Parts and the like are certainly causing some strain
- He thinks that August is optimistic for me, as he believes June will be minimal, with July being a ramp up taking a month (we are 2-3 weeks from VIN to delivery here).
- Said people call him every day and yell at him lol.

Oh - he also said demand for all cars is insane.

I‘m glad if it actually shook Elon a bit. He has seemed a bit untethered of late.

I‘m not meaning to be an ass, but if the consensus is that all the SAs are all clueless why should the info they gave you be anymore reliable? Serious question.

I‘m glad if it actually shook Elon a bit. He has seemed a bit untethered of late.

I‘m not meaning to be an ass, but if the consensus is that all the SAs are all clueless why should the info they gave you be anymore reliable? Serious question.

Well, it's not like he was giving me exact delivery details. What about what I posted was a statement of fact of any kind, really? lol

I mean, he would know if they were getting a showroom car probably (at least in the next month or so). We already know the delivery event is June 3rd. Maybe they give out 100 cars, maybe they give out 10 cars, but probably a pretty good assumption the cars they are giving out are the ones sitting at Fremont (or a selection of them). The UFC guy clearly shook Elon as he gave him a rental lol.

And we've already heard Elon say that it's going to be a slow ramp. We can all see the cars are in production now, and Elon already said it would be a slow ramp and talked about parts/issues.

So, the only other thing is the people yelling at him (didnt ask for proof) and demand being high (which, I assume he works 40 hours a week and can see the ordering system).

So yeah - I guess that's how I'd respond to that lol.

Well, it's not like he was giving me exact delivery details. What about what I posted was a statement of fact of any kind, really? lol

I mean, he would know if they were getting a showroom car probably (at least in the next month or so). We already know the delivery event is June 3rd. Maybe they give out 100 cars, maybe they give out 10 cars, but probably a pretty good assumption the cars they are giving out are the ones sitting at Fremont (or a selection of them). The UFC guy clearly shook Elon as he gave him a rental lol.

And we've already heard Elon say that it's going to be a slow ramp. We can all see the cars are in production now, and Elon already said it would be a slow ramp and talked about parts/issues.

So, the only other thing is the people yelling at him (didnt ask for proof) and demand being high (which, I assume he works 40 hours a week and can see the ordering system).

So yeah - I guess that's how I'd respond to that lol.

In asking that question I was thinking more in terms of the August delivery estimate your SA mentions. I was/am wondering if there’s any particular reason to think that estimate is more accurate than others.

Reactions: foos
In asking that question I was thinking more in terms of the August delivery estimate your SA mentions. I was/am wondering if there’s any particular reason to think that estimate is more accurate than others.

Oh - I mean, I think he was just guessing. And he said that was the "optimistic" outlook. Since it takes roughly 2-3 weeks to get the car here, I'd have to get a VIN within the next 4 weeks or so.

EDIT: Back to having a delivery estimate of "-"

Last edited:
Funny to see what stage people dealing with and some people going backwards.

I am almost through the case of tequila, does that mean that I will get a VIN soon?

Rfdcceb9b1243765caaaa87a28e67eeed

Does it make any sense to let the new paint to "cure" a while before sealing it forever?
Yes. I'd wait at least 30 days before touching the paint at all. Let it sit outside, even though they bake it, I've seen horrific things happen to Tesla paint if you touch it too early.

Hand wax, don't use a orbital, you'll burn the clear coat pretty easy.

Last ceramic I did, they wouldn't touch it for 3 months after mfgr date to do the paint correction.

Yes. I'd wait at least 30 days before touching the paint at all. Let it sit outside, even though they bake it, I've seen horrific things happen to Tesla paint if you touch it too early.

Hand wax, don't use a orbital, you'll burn the clear coat pretty easy.

Last ceramic I did, they wouldn't touch it for 3 months after mfgr date to do the paint correction.
Does the 30 days apply to PPF as well, or just ceramic treatments? I was hoping to do PPF right away to avoid any marks.

Too funny. I cut the circuit breaker as well. I was sick of that green light laughing at me every night when I pulled in.

Mine was installed in February (in time for my first delivery date). Left on since to keep any updates going. I thought about test driving a model Y just to bring it home to try the charger to see if it works.

Does the 30 days apply to PPF as well, or just ceramic treatments? I was hoping to do PPF right away to avoid any marks.
If you're doing the paint correction with PPF I'd still wait. Most of what you see from other car companies is that car has had time since manufacture. Tesla come right off the line and into someone's garage (or driveway) different than almost every other car manufacturer.

If you're doing the paint correction with PPF I'd still wait. Most of what you see from other car companies is that car has had time since manufacture. Tesla come right off the line and into someone's garage (or driveway) different than almost every other car manufacturer.

I still believe my car was built in February as Elon said - do I need to wait?

Absolutely no need to wait for PPF. I do mine as soon as I can. We’ve had our S and X done without wait-no problems. How do I know? I had to take off the left front quarter panel after SC scratched it during repeater swap out. Re-did PPF 2 days after body shop repainted it.