Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An additional tidbit ... The DS told me they have "thousands of Model S refresh orders" to be delivered out of the San Diego (Carlsbad) location. She opined that with my order date of 1/27/21 and everything having been completed in my profile, there was a "high probability" I would receive my Model S LR by end of June.
Can someone do me the favor of fefining what a complete profile is. I am through the insurance info.

1622264614783.png

Obviously, the tracking sheet is highly inaccurate because the dates are constantly changing or disappearing. However, I“m not basing this on a single spreadsheet. I’m basing this on years of experience dealing with Tesla. This will be my 6th Tesla, and I have watched Tesla prioritize high margin vehicles time and time again. When I purchased my 1st Model 3, they only offered the LR version and then 18 months later they introduced the mid-range version and 5 months after that they finally offered the standard range version. I purchased both, but had to wait almost 20 months until they had a sub $40,000 version I could buy my daughter.

I ordered a Model Y on the day it was announced and when they finally started deliveries they prioritized the Performance version. I wanted an early delivery and was lucky that I ordered the performance model. People that ordered the cheaper versions weren’t so fortunate. To this day they still haven’t started producing a standard range model. Tesla is a company that has shamelessly prioritized the purchase of their highest margin cars. The FSD package costs them nothing to install, but raises the purchase price by $10,000. What business wouldn’t choose to make an additional $10,000 today on the exact same product?

Tesla hasn’t sold a single Model S or Model X in 2021. Deliveries are starting in June, and they have a 6 month production shortfall. I can assure you that given the limited number of cars that can be delivered by the EOQ on June 30th, Tesla is going to do everything it can to maximize revenue and profit margins. This can only be done by maximizing delivery of the most expensive vehicles.
I agree with most of what you said, except for the FSD portion. Ask the person you know in Carlsbad and get back to us.

Clearly, as you know because I believe you made a second reservation, Tesla admittedly prioritizes the Plaid. The website shows delivery months before a LR. You point out the higher cost models going out first. What’s wrong with that? Tesla is a publicly owned company in business to make a profit. I understand people being upset because they sold their vehicle based upon the belief they would receive their new Model S in March, but why the animosity because Tesla is delivering the higher priced version first? Part of the reason I purchased a P85D was because it would come sooner. Same reason you just made a reservation on a Plaid, no?

Last edited: