Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RN1148, Plaid, White Exterior Black Interior

June 24 - June 30 delayed to July 4 - July 24 as of today

:/

1622921898212.png

Did you have black CF interior or wood?

Black CF. I order in April where all Plaid trims came with CF standard and there was no choice.

Looking at the configurator now and it says that white / CF deliveries begin in August. Not sure if this applies to new orders only or what, but seems weird that Tesla is offering people who buy wood trims today a June delivery and people who ordered CF trims last year in 2020 a July / August delivery? Is there a global shortage on carbon fiber now? lol?

1622922397263.png

Reactions: Tigers
I wonder what the actual thought process is of putting up dates and taking them down every 1/2 days.... Seems strange
I don’t think there is a thought process that is taking place here. It just appears to be a really bad algorithm that doesn’t take into account all variables. I think it looks at higher margin cars first.
  • Plaid gets priority and then LR with FSD.
  • Order date might come into play at some point, but I’m not convinced it is really that important.
  • Delivery dates get assigned based on geography and whether car can be delivered by EOQ
Then product matching might start and the algorithm notices that there is a supply constraint such as white interior or carbon fiber and the date goes away. Finally, this nonsensical process starts all over again. I thought Tesla was a software company, so this level of incompetence seems inexplicable.

Last edited:
When do you guys see these updates? I usually check in the morning but has anyone seen updates throughout the day? Mine has been “June” without a specified date range.
I’ve only had 3 or 4 updates since January. One was on 5/14 (June 1-30), one was on 5/21 (to blank) , and then one overnight last night (to 6/21-30). I. haven’t noticed correlation re: time of day.

Still, don't know who thinks a mechanism with that kind of tilt is possible.
View attachment 670005

I imagine it could be a double joint plate that swivels the display out? Like in many cameras (But sideways instead of vertical):

1622922734476.png

Unlikely it's a fixed center swivel as the side trims would block parts of the display with any angle of swivel. The display definitely has to swivel outwards before any angling. If the screen is indeed motorized the swivel joints should be geared and a couple of stepper motors could handle the swivel.

Reactions: omarsultan
I imagine it could be a double joint plate that swivels the display out? Like in many cameras (But sideways instead of vertical):

View attachment 670006

Unlikely it's a fixed center swivel as the side trims would block parts of the display with any angle of swivel. The display definitely has to swivel outwards before any angling. If the screen is indeed motorized the swivel joints should be geared and a couple of stepper motors could handle the swivel.
And what functionality or usability would this ridiculous mechanism add?

Still, don't know who thinks a mechanism with that kind of tilt is possible.
View attachment 670005
I believe the Model S screen is 17" and you don't pivot by the end of the screen, you pivot in the middle. That would make the amount of distance from the dash about half of your diagram which falls close to the 2-3" of travel the tweet included. Still could be tricky to do right, but Tesla is known for pulling things off that others can't or doing them in a unique way to get around constraints.

The 10th will provide the real answers and we'll see which of the "leakers" is actually on their game.

I believe the Model S screen is 17" and you don't pivot by the end of the screen, you pivot in the middle. That would make the amount of distance from the dash about half of your diagram which falls close to the 2-3" of travel the tweet included. Still could be tricky to do right, but Tesla is known for pulling things off that others can't or doing them in a unique way to get around constraints.

The 10th will provide the real answers and we'll see which of the "leakers" is actually on their game.
17” is corner to corner on a 16:9. It can only sink into the dash on one side if its that far off the dash to begin with. No matter how you pivot it it’s around 6” from end to end.

Black CF. I order in April where all Plaid trims came with CF standard and there was no choice.

Looking at the configurator now and it says that white / CF deliveries begin in August. Not sure if this applies to new orders only or what, but seems weird that Tesla is offering people who buy wood trims today a June delivery and people who ordered CF trims last year in 2020 a July / August delivery? Is there a global shortage on carbon fiber now? lol?

View attachment 670004

Someone posted a pic earlier with a white trim piece missing. You have to wonder why white would be delayed as well, as there are some sitting in that lot already. Seems the white interior pieces are in a shortage also.

Reactions: TNGuy99 and factor7
My “June” date is back, after being gone for a week. So, blank->”June 1-30”->June->Blank->June

Only thing I can guess about the missing dates is that perhaps certain regions get “recalculated” now and then, who knows. Tesla’s website is as mysterious as the fulfillment process.

Someone posted a pic earlier with a white trim piece missing. You have to wonder why white would be delayed as well, as there are some sitting in that lot already. Seems the white interior pieces are in a shortage also.

Tesla uses the white interior in all their marketing photos and renders of the car as well. You'd think they would actually produce the interior they're pushing people into choosing? 🤔

If they were some other manufacturer that had to pre-produce cars by estimation before having them on sale, I'd understand if they misestimated. But they literally had the orders of the car in since last year, so they had all the orders of white interiors and just decided not to produce them? Similarly, offering carbon fiber as the only option to Plaid orders from the start and then switching to offering wood as an option 6 months later and prioritizing that for delivery...?