Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alienating customers? You know, like delivering cars to people that ordered a week or two ago while giving people who ordered last year the middle finger?

This nonsense is really making me question my Roadster reservation. Give them money years in advance for a slot in line when they’ve shown they’ll screw long time customers who have waited months just to move a car to someone that just made an order.
Don't make my mistake. See my sig. Hang on to the Roadster res. They may make you on offer on the next best thing, "soon"

I'm not defending the lack of communication and "March deliveries" missed, but Tesla does make cars in batches, they have to re-tool for other trims. It would be insanely expensive to switch to a new trim every single time. You just picked a trim or option that wasn't included in the first batches.
For one, it’s clear they are pushing out Plaids ahead of LRs. As for just LRs, it’s clear ordering FSD greatly increases your chances of having a June delivery date (we’ll save whether that means anything for later in the month since delivery dates have been, ahem, questionable) and FSD has nothing to do with production schedules. And finally, although I can’t remember who posted it, someone posted the exact configuration of my car and has a June delivery date for an LR, same geographic location. So you are correct they don’t produce each order by the date received, however that doesn’t seem to be the reason so many pre-Feb orders have no delivery dates and Feb/March orders do. 🤷🏻‍♂️

At about 1:15 in the Gabe vid, note the car under wrap on the right looks too small to be a MS. Model 2?

One on the left could be a Plaid MX.
Both wheels sticking out are Arachnid Wheels and Model X does not have that option even on Plaid.
The one on the right is just the frame (looks like glass is missing) probably to show off castings!
1623340523226.png

So, the ludicrous mode two motor MS had a 0-60 of 2.4 seconds. Can anyone point to a verifiable physical reason the MSLR is not capable of the same acceleration?

I'm hoping Tesla will be unlocking a paid software update for the LR next year that drops the 0-60 to 2.4 seconds. Does anyone see why this would not be theoretically possible?
The main difference with the Ludicrous package was the main pack contactor was upgraded to supply more than 1500 amps.

“Tesla replaced the main pack contactor to use Inconel instead of steel. Inconel is a space-grade superalloy well suited for extreme high temperature environments. This superalloy is primarily used in the aerospace industry, and one of its more famous use is in the novel manufacturing process of SpaceX’s SuperDraco engine.

The improvements allow Tesla to increase the max power output of the Model S’ battery pack from 1300 to 1500 Amps, which enables higher performance. Tesla writes on the Ludicrous upgrade listing”

If the LR uses the same contactor then the only thing limiting the acceleration is the software.

Last edited:
I considered doing the same, but at this point it just isn’t worth it. Who knows what it would do to the price of a Plaid. I’m not going to remove a $4,500 option to be charged an additional $10,000 on the car.

The Michelin tires on the 21” wheels are over $400 each, so if I was going to add aftermarket 21” wheels I would still need to buy these tires. Subtract the tire price and we are probably paying about $2,900 for the wheels. If I end up hating the arachnids, I can probably sell them on eBay or list them on the forum for about $2,000 - $2,500. So, I don’t think I’m going to lose more than $400 - $900. I can live with that!
Unless they gonna announce hover mode tonight, you’ll also need to factor in the cost of your new wheels here 😂

So, the ludicrous mode two motor MS had a 0-60 of 2.4 seconds. Can anyone point to a verifiable physical reason the MSLR is not capable of the same acceleration?

I'm hoping Tesla will be unlocking a paid software update for the LR next year that drops the 0-60 to 2.4 seconds. Does anyone see why this would not be theoretically possible?
Theoretically possible sure. Is the new Long Range motor powerful enough to do it? Who knows.
Even if it can, will they do it? They just increased the difference in price again, now the Plaid costs $50k more. Offering Ludicrous mode will make the Plaid even less of a value proposition.

I believe the Long Range model actually offers "insane" speed. Remember the photos and videos from that guy who was allowed to sit in a refresh? The toggle had Insane in it.

And the wording from the Model S page says this on the long range card.

Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive platform allows for the longest range, and now delivers insane power and acceleration.

Still July delivery in my Tesla account. Not that I’m checking frequently or anything 😑 I feel like now that it’s close, it’s even harder to wait than it was all these past months.

Congress passed a bill to help with chip shortages, wonder if that will help get LR orders out sooner. My guess is that all the part constraints are forcing Tesla to pick and choose deliveries more so than they would normally.

Don't make my mistake. See my sig. Hang on to the Roadster res. They may make you on offer on the next best thing, "soon"
So are you out completely now after cancelling the Plaid+ order? I had a 2015 MS too. Best car I’ve ever owned, and I’ve had ‘em all. The refresh looks to be a magnitude better, which is why we are all here even though we need our own #metoo movement...

I think youre right about the Plaid X, but that's the reason why the S looks smaller than it is and it's probably not a 2

Tried a really lame photoshop. The roof line on the two vehicles are substantially different. But I agree with the comments with respect to the arachnid wheels not being available on the X. I also think they are not fully assembled - probably to show off production methods / improvements (cast components, maybe a structural battery pack, etc.).

1623341285714.png

Nah, they will milk the crash test results at a later date when the official tests come out from NHTSA.
Seems an odd way to introduced the most badass production car by showing 2 wrecked copies ;)
I don't know. Normally I would agree with this but the one on the left looks like there is a crumpled hood under that cover and not much material in front of the wheels/tires.