Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lot of concern with the safety of the yoke so I decided to drive into work(and it’s massive empty parking lots) and try a few ‘emergency’s’. My conclusion is that at anything over 30mph turning the wheel 180° (Keeping hands where they were) results in a pretty violent turn. More than most turns auto crossing. Love to hear Omar’s thoughts. I still think the yoke is unnecessary but I don’t feels it is dangerous. Humans are very adaptable, anyone ever participate in the tests they love to give in college by the physiology students. They put you in a pair off goggles that shifts everything 30° to one side and then have you make free throws. Started out ridiculous but in 15 minutes we were making shots. Removed the goggles and rubbish again for about 10 minutes. I may not love the yoke but I have little doubt I would adapt. The question of wether we should have to adapt is a different question.

I think the problem is in emergency situations we don’t know the parameters. If someone is hit and loses grip on a normal wheel for a second there is always a known place in the car where you can get your hands back on the wheel.

Also I Autocross quite heavily, I am not a 9/3 crossover driver it just doesn’t work for me and I’ve tried years to try and adapt in my Corvettes and now the Tesla, I am constantly adjusting hand position into the 12ish area when needed.

C0142A13-19D3-4D01-AEAF-2906A1C17FF7.jpeg

2E45F000-BDA4-47A7-B33F-1BFD642ABAAD.jpeg

This is a weird take man. A bit oxymoron. You love the product that Elon has created but think he’s a fraud
If I hated a company, and thought the CEO was a fraud, I wouldn't be doing business with them. Everyone's prerogative of course.
I actually get what he was trying to convey. I don’t think he meant Elon was literally a fraud, but he has done some questionable things and some could even argue some of his tweets do actually border fraudulent behavior (Just ask the SEC).

That said, if you’re reading this post, and you are on this forum, chances are, you agree that the product itself is amazing.

I think the problem is in emergency situations we don’t know the parameters. If someone is hit and loses grip on a normal wheel for a second there is always a known place in the car where you can get your hands back on the wheel.

Also I Autocross quite heavily, I am not a 9/3 crossover driver it just doesn’t work for me and I’ve tried years to try and adapt in my Corvettes and now the Tesla, I am constantly adjusting hand position into the 12ish area when needed.

View attachment 672845
View attachment 672846

That seems like a lot of fun. The data overlays are really cool too.

Is it just me or is everyone practicing yoke driving in their current car lol? So far a 90 corner works best for me with one hand on the 3 or 9 position and the other palm up at 6. My turn ratio seems to be about the same as the MS.
I’ve been practicing yoke driving since February in my Chevy Tahoe. I’m ready

I don't really worry about myself getting used to the yoke although it would be less than optimal for any sort of performance (or emergency) driving. My wife is going to absolutely HATE it to the point she will want to get rid of the car unless Tesla has some sort of other option. As I ordered a LR I'm actually OK that I don't have a date yet...hoping to see some sort of normal steering wheel option pop up.
This this this. While the everyday driver will get used to the yoke, my wife or son will have to use the car won't. My wife thinks it's crazy "who reinvents a wheel?" I mean, that a good point.

Last edited:
170kW / 691mi/hr still equals 246Wh/mi. Just as before.

I've still got a few pages left of catching up to do, so sorry if someone already mentioned this but is it possible that Superchargers will need updated software before they can take full advantage of new battery/charging capabilities in the S? Given that the software in the cars is still not totally done, and there are safety implications of fiddling with the rate of charge, it could be that charging rate is going to be artificially low until they decide they're ready to juice it.

Reactions: HumanInput
I got my VIN! 3rd time was the charm. Delivery window is Jun 27-30 in Charlotte, NC.
What’s interesting is if it’s 6/27-6/30 you’d think it’d be on its way next week at the latest to get to NC. Either by open cover transport or rail, would get there around 6/20, a few days for pre-delivery inspection.

That’s good progress and hope for those on the East Coast.