Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welp, I started the process of cancelling my LR white S yesterday by ordering an M3P (says July 6 to 26 delivery). I had my doubts about the yoke and after seeing videos of people driving the car they have been confirmed. It's not for me. I'll contact Tesla tomorrow to formally cancel the S. For those of you that like or anticipate liking the yoke, cool! It'll probably work fine. But if Tesla decides to offer a round wheel option, I'm back in line.

For those that listen mostly to talk radio or news, the audio fidelity is definitely less important. I can definitely see why Tesla would still offer it to those customers, since they still don’t have anything equivalent to CarPlay to make the phone a seamless alternative. That’s an entirely different discussion that still doesn’t make sense to most of us.

You might not realize how bad the Sirius sound quality is without a direct comparison. My comments are mainly directed to those that listen to music. If you do a direct music comparison on your new 960 watt sound system between streaming and Sirius, I think you will have a difficult time picking Sirius as the source for music. It is as simple as that.

Welp, I started the process of cancelling my LR white S yesterday by ordering an M3P (says July 6 to 26 delivery). I had my doubts about the yoke and after seeing videos of people driving the car they have been confirmed. It's not for me. I'll contact Tesla tomorrow to formally cancel the S. For those of you that like or anticipate liking the yoke, cool! It'll probably work fine. But if Tesla decides to offer a round wheel option, I'm back in line.

Why not just keep your place in line and see how it plays out - who knows, the round wheel may become an option. Also, there will be demo cars out in a month or two and you an try first hand. Hate to see you lose your place in line (unless it is front of me).

For those that listen mostly to talk radio or news, the audio fidelity is definitely less important. I can definitely see why Tesla would still offer it to those customers, since they still don’t have anything equivalent to CarPlay to make the phone a seamless alternative. That’s an entirely different discussion that still doesn’t make sense to most of us.

You might not realize how bad the Sirius sound quality is without a direct comparison. My comments are mainly directed to those that listen to music. If you do a direct music comparison on your new 960 watt sound system between streaming and Sirius, I think you will have a difficult time picking Sirius as the source for music. It is as simple as that.
Forgive the ignorance…definitely showing my age. 😀. What I like about XM is the ability to quickly scroll through a dozen saved channels to find songs I like, as well as news channels. ( And my ears are blown from years of playing music too loud. Lol. ). Does streaming provide XM-like channels and the ability to scroll through preset channels? Thanks!

This is what I have been doing--rest left are on door and grab top-left corner of yoke, or rest right arm on console arm rest and grace bottom right corner of yoke.

So, with left arm braced on door, in a tight turn to either direction, could one not do a hand transfer technique?

Example, left turn:

Right hand, right side, moves wheel to left 180 deg. Left hand, braced on door, grabs left side of now upside down yoke.

Repeat or reverse as needed.

Really need a separate thread for these yoke concerns...

Where is there even a thumbs down button? 😅

A lot of concerns about the horn, where do you guys live and what is it that you use your horn so much for? I’ve owned my current car since 08/13 and I think I can count on both hands how often I’ve used my horn since. Wouldn’t even be able to tell you what it sounds like in a line up of cars.
You don’t live in South Florida with a lot of older folks (yeah much older than me still driving)…we use the horn quite often around here, lol!! 🙄🤪. I flash my brights more and save the horn for when it’s really bad! Haha.

I don’t really understand why so many people are concerned with Sirius/XM integration. I used to be a long time subscriber, but canceled it several years back. It really is an archaic technology that is heavily compressed and sounds truly awful. If you have ever done an A/B comparison between Sirius/XM and Bluetooth streaming or the built in Spotify/Slacker integration the sound fidelity is night and day. Even FM radio sounds significantly better than Sirius/XM.

‘In the Sirius system, the bit rate in each 4-MHz channel is about 7.5 Mbits/s. Without the coding and encryption overhead, there’s about 4.4 Mbits/s for the audio that’s divided up among more than 100 channels. Voice-only broadcasts use low-bit-rate streams (about 24 kbits/s), and music broadcasts get streams of 40 to 64 kbits/s.” Now that HiFi lossless streaming services are becoming mainstream the quality difference is only widening. The highest quality Sirius stream transmits at a bitrate that is only 20% of a standard Spotify song at 320 kbits/s. This fidelity difference is easily discernible and significant. Why have a 22 speaker, 960 watt audio system if you are going to listen to it with a 64 kbit/s audio stream from Sirius?

People have talked about losing their wireless signals in certain areas as a reason for why they must maintain Sirius/XM. I don’t understand this one either. How hard is it to download some songs to your phone or put them on a USB stick to get you through these rare stretches. I also understand that some people might be drawn to certain proprietary content, shows or podcasts on Sirius XM. In these situations, even if the car doesn’t have a Sirius/XM receiver you can just sign in on your phone and stream it to the car via Bluetooth. I think Tesla realized this for the 3/Y and just decided to not even offer it. I can only assume they still offer it on the S/X because the buyer demographics skew older and these buyers are more reluctant to technological change.
I don’t know that I’d call it concern, at least on my part. I’ve had XM/Sirius since 2002 and it’s more of a situation of that’s what I’m familiar with from a programming perspective. 20 year habits aren’t easy to let go of overnight.

As a transplanted NYer living in the northwest part of the DC beltway, it lets me listen to and follow my sports teams and even listen to some terrestrial radio stations from the NY market. As a product I think it can suck at times. For me it’s all about convenience and familiarity.

@omarsultan does the yoke make you less inclined to do spirited driving? (Perhaps too soon to say?).
I usually have hands at 10 and 2 for that so seems like the yoke may be best for straights, cruising and autonomous….?
Nope, not at all! I learned at 9-and-3 so maybe easier for me

Yeah, agree on using XM native at times, mainly use it also for news stations, etc. One option you may still have if have an iPhone is to install the Sirius XM app and add some shortcuts from teh app to Siri. You can use the Tesla voice recognition button hopefully with a long-hold to ask Siri to tell Sirius XM to play station "whatever" or number, etc.

I haven't been in an MS in a while, but for the voice controls - do they do the long hold to access the phone assistance like other makers still, and the short press for native voice control?
Not that I recall, but I got out of my model X in January.

I don’t really understand why so many people are concerned with Sirius/XM integration. I used to be a long time subscriber, but canceled it several years back. It really is an archaic technology that is heavily compressed and sounds truly awful. If you have ever done an A/B comparison between Sirius/XM and Bluetooth streaming or the built in Spotify/Slacker integration the sound fidelity is night and day. Even FM radio sounds significantly better than Sirius/XM.

‘In the Sirius system, the bit rate in each 4-MHz channel is about 7.5 Mbits/s. Without the coding and encryption overhead, there’s about 4.4 Mbits/s for the audio that’s divided up among more than 100 channels. Voice-only broadcasts use low-bit-rate streams (about 24 kbits/s), and music broadcasts get streams of 40 to 64 kbits/s.” Now that HiFi lossless streaming services are becoming mainstream the quality difference is only widening. The highest quality Sirius stream transmits at a bitrate that is only 20% of a standard Spotify song at 320 kbits/s. This fidelity difference is easily discernible and significant. Why have a 22 speaker, 960 watt audio system if you are going to listen to it with a 64 kbit/s audio stream from Sirius?

People have talked about losing their wireless signals in certain areas as a reason for why they must maintain Sirius/XM. I don’t understand this one either. How hard is it to download some songs to your phone or put them on a USB stick to get you through these rare stretches. I also understand that some people might be drawn to certain proprietary content, shows or podcasts on Sirius XM. In these situations, even if the car doesn’t have a Sirius/XM receiver you can just sign in on your phone and stream it to the car via Bluetooth. I think Tesla realized this for the 3/Y and just decided to not even offer it. I can only assume they still offer it on the S/X because the buyer demographics skew older and these buyers are more reluctant to technological change.
I agree with this, but then again, you can just as easily stream Spotify too. But they included that as an in-car app. I think they should have done that with Sirius as well. I had sirius for a while with my 3, and streamed and it was totally fine. But the app would have been nice.

Last edited:
Reactions: EVonly