Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems the yoke is required to turn way more than 90 degrees - so much for all the fanboys faith that it would be variable ratio and never turn more than 90 degrees - believing doesn't make it so folks. I wonder how well that works when Navigate On AutoPilot turns it >90 degrees and the user has to emergency take over. The video clearly shows the confusing nature of the directional signals when the driver confuses the signals at ~4:45, and that's while all is calm, vs. changing lanes on a busy highway where taking eyes off the road to peck at tiny touch buttons doesn't seem like a good interface design. Of course good luck finding the horn button in an emergency.

Bottom line, it seems to be designed by video game designers, not automotive UI designers. It explains all the buttons as far away from the driver's line of sight as possible. The only thing that's missing is your health and number of lives left.

You can just palm the right side of the yoke and it also honks. TBH not sure why the wasted a button of it on the touch portion instead of just making the center of the yoke a horn.

Overall, assuming I can rest my arm on the side of the door, I only use 3 o clock or 6 o clock to drive. I also hate wheels. I'm extremely excited for the yoke.

I am looking forward to the Yoke. Probably one of the main reasons in addition to a 150 mi. range enhancement to my decision to swap out my ‘17 MS, while losing my free unlimited supercharging and free unlimited premium connectivity.

I did not order my MSLR (MSM white/black FSD 19” wheels) until 3/8. Was 4-11 weeks, then August, blank for the last month with the “we will reach out to you language,” and today it has August again.

I can wait another two months if I need to. Let them get the kinks out. I really want XM so maybe they will get that fixed.

One point to look for on the glass windshield is whether there are heating elements adjacent to the front camera housing. I get condensation in the morning on nights I park outside with wide temperature swings. Makes Autopilot unavailable for the first few minutes those mornings. After a while Tesla had to clean the lens of the camera. A heater there would avoid problems.

They have shown pictures of the cameras on the front having heating elements over them.

Reactions: croman
Nothing to fix, you just buy the XM module.
You are assuming there is no module already - which is a possibility since there is zero mention of Sirus/XM in the updated manual. On the other hand, the sticker they have shown indicates FM and Sirus/XM. The car has always had it so it would be really weird for it to be omitted. Hell, I'd bet that Sirius provides the boards for free to get the subscribers.

I am looking forward to the Yoke. Probably one of the main reasons in addition to a 150 mi. range enhancement to my decision to swap out my ‘17 MS, while losing my free unlimited supercharging and free unlimited premium connectivity.

I did not order my MSLR (MSM white/black FSD 19” wheels) until 3/8. Was 4-11 weeks, then August, blank for the last month with the “we will reach out to you language,” and today it has August again.

I can wait another two months if I need to. Let them get the kinks out. I really want XM so maybe they will get that fixed.

One point to look for on the glass windshield is whether there are heating elements adjacent to the front camera housing. I get condensation in te morning on nights I park outside with wide temperature swings. Makes Autopilot unavailable for the first few minutes those mornings. After a while Tesla had to clean the lens of the camera. A heater there would avoid problems.
Hw2 has these heating elements. Your car should automatically deploy the wire resistance heater.

Attachments

• PXL_20210613_135624057.jpg
    PXL_20210613_135624057.jpg
    275.7 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
You can just palm the right side of the yoke and it also honks. TBH not sure why the wasted a button of it on the touch portion instead of just making the center of the yoke a horn.

Overall, assuming I can rest my arm on the side of the door, I only use 3 o clock or 6 o clock to drive. I also hate wheels. I'm extremely excited for the yoke.

The traditional position of the horn on the center of the wheel is stationary. The new position rotates with the wheel and one needs to chase its position hastily during turning and in an emergency situation when the horn is needed. The same argument can be made for the turn signals.

It seems the yoke is required to turn way more than 90 degrees - so much for all the fanboys faith that it would be variable ratio and never turn more than 90 degrees - believing doesn't make it so folks...
So this is all under software control, e.g. the equivalent of fly by wire where there is no direct mechanical control. You are just providing inputs into the computer controlling the wheel position. There is every reason to believe that a software update down the road enables the yoke to work however you want. Including variable ratio so no turning past 90 degrees is ever required.

RT

So this is all under software control, e.g. the equivalent of fly by wire where there is no direct mechanical control. You are just providing inputs into the computer controlling the wheel position. There is every reason to believe that a software update down the road enables the yoke to work however you want. Including variable ratio so no turning past 90 degrees is ever required.

RT

Where did you read it was electronic steering, as opposed to a mechanical linkage?

RT
Source for this? Sounds like wishful thinking.