Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically you need to measure the noise you want to cancel as close as possible to the speakers that will do the canceling. It wouldn't work to measure the sound a distance away from the speakers because the phase of the sound waves has to be aligned just right for them to cancel out and the phase is different at different points in space and also varies according to frequency. If they could put microphones and speakers right where the sources of noise were and produce sufficient volume they could theoretically cancel noise out at the source but that's probably not as practical as using speakers and microphones inside the car.
This is over simplifying, but in effect ANC starts with the sound the mic picks up, and subtracts the "known" signal that is being played from the speakers. The result is (in a perfect world) the noise that should be canceled. Invert that noise and add it to the desired (music) sound, and viola! Tons of details make this more complicated, but that's the gist.

It’s exciting to see all the new Model S vehicles, but the Multi-coat White and Red seem to be almost non-existent. Some have speculated that the white isn’t being produced because it is a free color and the red doesn’t necessarily increase profit because of extra labor. It seems like these two colors would just slow down production due to the extra multi-coat step that is required in the painting process.

If your production line is only producing cars in the low 100’s per week, you would obviously want to eliminate any bottlenecks in the production process. Multi-coat paint might be one of those bottlenecks.
There are a bunch of white MS getting on the trucks @6:08 in the videos. Doesn't look like they have the spoilers on them either, could be LRs?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Yes we know he did 9.2 in the 1/4 and I'm not here to dispute that. But I want to see other useful data to get an idea for the power curve and to compare to previous gen, but also repeated by other drivers and on the street, not just the track. 1/8th mile time, 0-60 time with 1' rollout number, 60 foot if possible - and repeatability? Good testing also does all of these things multiple times to get a nice average. I know someone's going to do all this proper stuff soon but I'd love to see it sooner if I can. It will be cool to see if someone manages to beat that 9.2 time at the track (I can definitely see it happening with some lighter wheels).
Wait until Brooks from DragTimes gets his MS Plaid, and we’ll probably see tons of videos and time slips. 😎

There are a bunch of white MS getting on the trucks @6:08 in the videos. Doesn't look like they have the spoilers on them either, could be LRs?
Model 3s not MS

m3.JPG

I figure it will be a competitor that eventually files the lawsuit for unfair business practices / false advertising.
It's clear based on all of your posts regarding lawsuits that you don't understand the legal theories or law behind what you're saying, or maybe even a general understanding of the legal profession outside of perhaps sensationalized stuff from TV dramas.

I know it's the internet and you get to spout whatever you want, but please stop. Or, if you actually think any of these "ideas" have merit, maybe proceed with them instead. I don't doubt you'd be dismissed out of court pretty quickly.

Very valid questions. Noise cancelling algorithms can be easily tuned to hear noisy sounds of set pitch and volume, for example wind and tire noises inside the cabin in and cancel them. The same sustained sounds would be cancelled if the music system produced them inside the car. The idea is to catch the noise where it is heard, not where it is produced. ANC is also tuned for closed environments, just like headphones that are sealed around the ears, and would be non effective if the windows were open in the car.
Yeah I am not even close to be being a sound engineer but that is my understanding which is why cancelling sound in the same space it is listened to is confusing to me. Headphone mics measure the sound outside the enclosed headphone speakers and cancels those frequencies. The sound being produced by the speakers inside the headphone (let's make it a sealed headphone for the sake of simplification) isn't cancelled at all. Another example is that if I listen to music someone else is playing with ANC headphones on that music is muddled/muffled a bit (not completely cancelled but definitely affected). I have a hard time wrapping my head around why that wouldn't happen to sounds inside the car if the mics are inside the car.

First post - longtime lurker:

RN1144: Plaid+, black, black, CF, 21'', cancelled
RN1146: Plaid, black, black, CF, 21'', March->June->August
RN1152: Plaid, black, black, ebony, 21'', June

Officially joining the waiting rollercoaster! Simple story: Initially ordered Plaid+, when that got delayed I added a Plaid reservation and added another Plaid reservation with wood trim. Will cancel one of them. Let's see which one wins.

Let there be VIN announcements all around!

First post - longtime lurker:

RN1144: Plaid+, black, black, CF, 21'', cancelled
RN1146: Plaid, black, black, CF, 21'', March->June->August
RN1152: Plaid, black, black, ebony, 21'', June

Officially joining the waiting rollercoaster! Simple story: Initially ordered Plaid+, when that got delayed I added a Plaid reservation and added another Plaid reservation with wood trim. Will cancel one of them. Let's see which one wins.

Let there be VIN announcements all around!
I would be willing to bet that your most recent order - RN1152 will be fulfilled first. Tesla likes to reward those that come late to the party, because those are the cool kids!

I would be willing to bet that your most recent order - RN1152 will be fulfilled first. Tesla likes to reward those that come late to the party, because those are the cool kids!
I ordered a LR on June 8, and my number is RN11511xxxx. Wow, it has already climbed to RN1152. Wonder if these numbers are sequential with no gaps in them, other than cancellations.

Yeah I am not even close to be being a sound engineer but that is my understanding which is why cancelling sound in the same space it is listened to is confusing to me. Headphone mics measure the sound outside the enclosed headphone speakers and cancels those frequencies. The sound being produced by the speakers inside the headphone (let's make it a sealed headphone for the sake of simplification) isn't cancelled at all. Another example is that if I listen to music someone else is playing with ANC headphones on that music is muddled/muffled a bit (not completely cancelled but definitely affected). I have a hard time wrapping my head around why that wouldn't happen to sounds inside the car if the mics are inside the car.

Sure, if you could measure the noise you want to cancel without picking up any other noises you don't want to cancel that would be ideal, but much more important is that the sound is measured close to where the speakers are relative to the wavelength of the audio being canceled. With headphones the distance from the inside to the outside is small compared to the wavelength of mid to low frequency sounds (but even that distance is too much for it to work well with higher-frequency sounds). In a Tesla the distance between inside and outside would be too great to work well for anything but ultra low frequencies.

You'd also have an issue where if you measured sound outside you might actually make some sounds louder inside that normally wouldn't be heard because of sound insulation of the car. The more passive noise reduction the car has, the more you would just end up amplifying outside noises if you picked them up outside the car and played them back out of phase inside the car.

Basically you need to measure the noise you want to cancel as close as possible to the speakers that will do the canceling. It wouldn't work to measure the sound a distance away from the speakers because the phase of the sound waves has to be aligned just right for them to cancel out and the phase is different at different points in space and also varies according to frequency. If they could put microphones and speakers right where the sources of noise were and produce sufficient volume they could theoretically cancel noise out at the source but that's probably not as practical as using speakers and microphones inside the car.
To add to what others have said and correct a small error, the sound canceling mics should be as close to the ears they want the sound correction applied to. The speaker distance to the expected ear position is known and can be accounted for. The longer the sound wave is, the easier it is to match the inverse phase and cancel it. For high frequencies where the wavelength is short, movement of the head will make effective cancellation impossible.

Are my eyes deceiving me but did I see a bunch of white MS vehicles (with spoilers? So MS Plaids)? Still not a lot but seems like more of a sprinkling of white ones.
You all have incredible vision to notice the spoilers. I consider my eyesight great and I spent a good chunk of time trying to pause each frame and squint to see if spoilers were on any of the MS

Yeah, which is why I think it is a bug.
I just finished looking through all of the pictures in your Smugmug again. What a beautiful vehicle. I love the monochromatic look of the grey arachnids that match the MSM paint. With the white interior it just looks like a perfect combination in my eyes. Is the excitement starting to wear off, or are you still giddy every time you go to the car?