Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Am I the only person who wants to delay delivery until the update the trail lights and the bar on the back of the trunk? IDK, the more and more I see it, the less happy I know I'm going to be with a taillight design that's years old. Have to think, given the picture we saw of the model s with the active spoiler, that a new taillight design will be out by early 2022.
Why the voice of doubt about such petty things today? And about trap speed, it’s actually more impressive to hit the 9.25s time with a lower trap speed.

It likely means nothing, but my LR order that has also been blank for the last month switched to June this morning.
My Plaid orders are still BLANK.
More Tesla shenanigans!

Edit: For the record, I’m not one of those people that believes BLANK means imminent delivery. There are way too many Blank orders for that to be the case. Date / no date both appear to be pretty meaningless until a VIN is actually assigned.
Damn you for calling it like it is. I'm looking for a pattern here - there is none - yet :)

Ah but not if Tesla throttles the Long Range to prevent it from stepping on the Plaid's toes.

I think there is some artificial throttle lag on some of the lower Model 3 trims aren't there? I saw that ingineerix boost module can reduce input lag on the SR+ and Long Range. I swear sometimes when I get a non-performance Model S loaner it also feels like there is artificial input lag.

It's possible this new Long Range also has that.
Absolutely! Look at the acceleration boost scam. I paid $2000 to magically increase 0-60 on my dual motor Y from 4.8 to 4.2. The seat of the pants sensation was dramatic, and it felt like a different car after the update. My cars performance was being significantly limited to not step on the toes of the Performance Y. The same might hold true for the LR and Tesla might not ever allow us to unlock the full potential.

Well, if MT wasn’t able to match Tesla’s claimed 1.99, that would be the headline and haters all over would be talking sh*t. So Tesla felt it was important for MT to achieve Tesla’s claim (even if under certain conditions) and it makes sense to me. Who cares if it’s on a prepped surface and not on the street. It was sort of expected.

You missed my point. My point was Tesla should have just shut up and not announced numbers until the car could be independently tested in the person. There was no need for hyping the car before hand. If then knew what it could so, shut up and let the proof of the pudding be in the eating.

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Racer and Tigers
Absolutely! Look at the acceleration boost scam. I paid $2000 to magically increase 0-60 on my dual motor Y from 4.8 to 4.2. The seat of the pants sensation was dramatic, and it felt like a different car after the update. My cars performance was being significantly limited to not step on the toes of the Performance Y. The same might hold true for the LR and Tesla might not ever allow us to unlock the full potentia.
I am certain Tesla will throttle LR and am even more certain that Tesla does tune their test drive vehicles. My test drive in a M3P felt much zippier and had a kick to it compared to my M3P which I accepted delivery for just days after the test drive. Tesla definitely tweaks their vehicles as needed but it's kinda expected of any company really. Intel does it with its processors.

• Informative
Reactions: HumanInput
I guess the Plaid needs to hit 1.99 on ice covered roads as well? If you don't give the time based on the best situation, where should they draw the line? Every surface is different, so which one should be used? Do you see 0-60 times for ICE cars at 6,000 ft elevation? Shouldn't they have to state that if you buy the car in Denver?

If the stated times can be reproduced, I consider them valid for comparison. They always claim best case.

Why the voice of doubt about such petty things today? And about trap speed, it’s actually more impressive to hit the 9.25s time with a lower trap speed.

I don't think expecting new taillights after ~5+ years is petty. I also don't think a big (imo) feature (especially for road trips) that's been advertised to me, but of course, not actually functional (yet?) is petty.

IDK I find it funny - they focused on performance, car doesn't hit the performance specs. The range is more or less the same as the outgoing model from 12 months ago and advertised features don't work on launch after a 4 month delay lol.

Just questioning if this is the right call for me. I still want a LR review, especially of range, by an independent, non-tesla fanboy to tell me the actual pros and cons.

For example: the OC Detailing guy already mentioned some build quality issues (wonky gaskets) and looks like the paint hasn't improved. I guess I was hoping to get feedback on perceptible improvements more than just "wow, it's fast!"

Looks like the interior trim doesn't line up also.

Maybe it’s because I’m an old guy and would like to live out my days on earth (or Mars) but to me having adequate brakes is a major priority. I’ve had a few situations where the good and oversized brakes on my German cars saved my life. Am I over reacting to what I’m hearing about the Plaids brakes being inadequate?
Unless you’re planning to frequent road course or drive 200, I have a feeling you’ll be fine. Hopefully ha

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I don't think expecting new taillights after ~5+ years is petty. I also don't think a big (imo) feature (especially for road trips) that's been advertised to me, but of course, not actually functional (yet?) is petty.

IDK I find it funny - they focused on performance, car doesn't hit the performance specs. The range is more or less the same as the outgoing model from 12 months ago and advertised features don't work on launch after a 4 month delay lol.

Just questioning if this is the right call for me. I still want a LR review, especially of range, by an independent, non-tesla fanboy to tell me the actual pros and cons.

For example: the OC Detailing guy already mentioned some build quality issues (wonky gaskets) and looks like the paint hasn't improved. I guess I was hoping to get feedback on perceptible improvements more than just "wow, it's fast!"
To me, the plaid has met my expectations and interior has exceeded my expectations. If the tail lights are redone after I take delivery, I’ll swap em out. Shouldn’t be a big ordeal.
We haven’t seen a LR yet so idk

To me, the plaid has met my expectations and interior has exceeded my expectations. If the tail lights are redone after I take delivery, I’ll swap em out. Shouldn’t be a big ordeal.

Is it actually easy to just "swap" them out? How would you do that? Likely, Tesla replaces the trunk and taillight design - are you going to spend thousands more for a new trunk and taillight design?

It’s funny, this is the voice I always heard in your posts. You turn the fastest production car in the world into a failure because of the cosmetics of the taillights.

my delivery has gone blank today. I hope that’s good news.

This is a matter of interpretation. Many of us who’ve seen the film many times have always interpreted it as Dark Helmet ordering Spaceball One to go faster than it ever has (“Ludicrous Speed”), then pushing throttle all the way (past “Ludicrous”), and the ship accidentally going faster than even Ludicrous (“to Plaid”) and thus overshooting Lonestar and the gang.

I think reasonable people can interpret it either way. One other variation that seems plausible is that “plaid” is what happened when you go the fastest speed within the “Ludicrous” range.

Either way, I think this is all reading way too much into a silly joke 😉
Hahahaha bro really??? Just watch the video. Nothing to interpret. 🤪

It’s funny, this is the voice I always heard in your posts. You turn the fastest production car in the world into a failure because of the cosmetics of the taillights.

I hope so. Mine has been blank since it feels like forever. So I have been sitting on good news for a while. OTOH I ordered a Red/White LR which these days seems like bad news for Tesla production lines :)

Is it actually easy to just "swap" them out? How would you do that? Likely, Tesla replaces the trunk and taillight design - are you going to spend thousands more for a new trunk and taillight design?
Tail lights get modernized within the same form factor all the time in the automotive world. What makes you think Tesla would change the sheet metal to do it? Very unlikely! Tesla has a track record of making small, incremental improvements. Changing the sheet metal would be a massive undertaking with no clear benefit at this point.

It's great that it's the fastest production car in the world and that gets headlines and most Plaid owners will drive their cars fast for maybe a month and then it won't matter...

But, for us peasants not getting a Plaid but instead the Long Range peasant mobile - seems to me like Tesla over-hyped and under-delivered a car that they will "fix" over time with software updates. I do think them making no progress on range is a big disappointment and "cancelling" the Plaid+ that they made up out of thin air off of some bogus excuse, also, BS over-promising and over-hyping.