Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I should have been more clear. How do we know the 3.1 for the LR did not include the rollout subtraction? Meaning the LR did it in 3.3, but that would make it too slow for the price point compared to the M3P. The 3.1 on the Tesla website is a nice spread from the 2 second Plaid, but not slower than the 3P, which would put off a lot of potential buyers.

Just spitballin’ here...

OK - I see. My response is still the same, though. I believe the M3P 3.1 is rollout subtracted (so it actually did it in 3.4s I believe).

So I still think the 3.1s is with rollout included.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Those rules are necessary because ICE technology demands it. Tesla can do those times safely without the drama of blowing up or running into the wall. Rules will evolve….
There are two different types of tracks, drag strip and road course. ONLY the dragstrip has the limits on speed, and a track pack (Except for the demon) is for road racing with bigger brakes, better cooling, bigger wings etc. Tesla will not make a roll cage, fire system and require owners to have NHRA drivers licenses, but 'could' easily have an after market type track pack like they have with the 3.

Well, if 3.1 is with rollout subtracted, they'd definitely want to tell you, as it would mean the Plaid is even faster. So, clearly it includes rollout, meaning an apples to apples is going to be something like "1.99" to 2.8ish. .8 is a big difference - but, I wonder how many people you could put in a LR and do 0-60 and tell them it was the Plaid...how many would even know the difference?
What's important is will *you* notice and appreciate the difference? It isn't about others. I personally will not so I opted for LR.

Ok
Knowing Tesla they will definitely install 4680 cells in Plaid and turn it into 520+ mile vehicle especially when Lucid starts delivering their touring model and that is a big 'if'. I think Tesla only advertised Plaid+ to *sugar* on Lucid's parade of making the first 500+ mile EV and promising to deliver it in 2021. Don't think it has much to do with," Oh, Plaid is this good then why do we need Plaid+". It's just that their 4680 cells need more time to be perfected and this way Plaid+ won't be eating away Roadster pre-orders which I don't think are that many any way.
Do you think I can sit on my Plaid order long enough to get a Plaid+? 🤣

Some of us are getting delivery dates. I have watched the prepare for delivery day and what to expect on delivery day. Did some research on touch less delivery.
Could someone who has been through the process explain the process a little better?
How was appointment set up?
Was there a specific time window?
If you had questions or problems how that was handled?
I know you need to inform them a couple of time to have a 90% charge. Any other things to do?
Thank you in advance.

It would be pretty deceptive if they included the asterisk on the Plaid, but not the Long Range. Their other cars are also advertised with just the rollout subtracted on the Performance model.

The marking on website is how we know rollout is included. The purposedly left asterisk off the one value. Make it look like a larger difference while still be technically honest.

Last edited:
A couple of things, since the quoting feature is not working for me right now:
  • The alternate charge port might simply be for non-US models
  • I think if they change the tail lights, they'll keep the form factor. It would be ridiculously expensive to manufacture new stamping dies. In the past, when Tesla has updated lights, they have generally kept the form factor the same, unless its part of a larger refresh (Model S foglight cluster, Model 3/Y headlight update)
  • Is there is a track pack with an active spoiler, I am going to guess it is an order time option only. The active spoiler requires a different decklid and would not be retrofittable on any of the metallic paint colors as they would not match
  • @Tigers - what up dude, do you need a Snickers? How can you be mad about a feature that is not active yet. The manual states the HW is in the car and the SW might not be turned on yet.

3: if you want to wait fomo on missing some updates than go ahead. I don't need a running commentary on how you need updated floor mats before you buy the car. Either buy it for what it is now or wait, nobody cares if you keep your order or not.
You're on a forum page with a bunch of people discussing a car they have not seen, expressing feelings and opinions about that situation, and you want everyone to stop doing that?

If I didn't want to hear everyone's excitement, grief, frustrations, and hopes, I would simply not read a forum of pre-order customers talking about a car that is still not completely defined and verified. You can do the same thing.

Not trying to be mean.

Reactions: joga and HumanInput
OK guys - I have decided that, this is going to be the best car I have ever owned, it probably is a worlds apart from the outgoing Model S with quiet a bit of material quality improvement, seems like the sound insulation has gotten much better (even without the ANC :mad:) but, I figured I could live with that and the taillights and be really happy about the cushy cabin, quiet ride, air suspension, acceleration and overall feel of the car.

Now, my VIN please. 😵
Did someone steal your TMC login credentials? It seems pretty obvious that two different peeps are posting on here today. 🤣

• @Tigers - what up dude, do you need a Snickers? How can you be mad about a feature that is not active yet. The manual states the HW is in the car and the SW might not be turned on yet.

"how can you be mad about an advertised feature that doesnt work yet?" 😂

• Disagree
Reactions: T-Racer and foos
  • The alternate charge port might simply be for non-US models
  • I think if they change the tail lights, they'll keep the form factor. It would be ridiculously expensive to manufacture new stamping dies. In the past, when Tesla has updated lights, they have generally kept the form factor the same, unless its part of a larger refresh (Model S foglight cluster, Model 3/Y headlight update)
  • Is there is a track pack with an active spoiler, I am going to guess it is an order time option only. The active spoiler requires a different decklid and would not be retrofittable on any of the metallic paint colors as they would not match
I would totally get the active spoiler if it was available.

Why isn't it active now? Why do I have to wait for an update that may happen next week or, next year or, never to get an advertised feature? Hell, we are still waiting on auto wipers and auto high beams to work correctly - years later. And blind spot monitoring, for that matter.

I guess, perhaps, I just don't trust Tesla as much as others? IDK?

As a product manager, I can tell you, you have two options: 1) ship functional HW and let the SW catch-up or 2) hold the HW until the SW is ready--everyone would like to do #2, but SW development is a hard and non-linear process and we end up with #1.

I think, for the last few months, most folks were avid fans of strategy #1.

Unless it has all of the track modifications, the Plaid is not going to be allowed at the track because it is too fast. And who here really wants a car with a roll cage and other physical changes which take a sedan and convert it to a race car?

Maybe that is what the relationship with Unplugged Performance is about--be a outside tuner (kinda like AMG was for MB) to do track mods and the like for folks that want them.

As a product manager, I can tell you, you have two options: 1) ship functional HW and let the SW catch-up or 2) hold the HW until the SW is ready--everyone would like to do #2, but SW development is a hard and non-linear process and we end up with #1.

I mean we really just want everything, and yesterday. Being in software, that sure as heck doesn’t happen. But unlike hardware slips and gaffes from my past, it’s way easier to rectify.
And ANC remains documented as a feature for sales and in the owners manual, so it will ship. Scrubbing references to the tilty screen means there are lower chances of that ever appearing even if the hardware is nominally there.

Another way of putting it is - let's ship something half baked ("MVP") and update later.

That's a fine strategy and works for elite companies. But, it comes down to trust of Tesla. Personally, I was just hoping it would be active so people could review it and that way we would know that it works and works well and will be useful.

Maybe others do not care, but for me, this was top 2 of the reasons I decided to get a Model S vs something else (the other being supercharging network). With this, if they don't have it functional by the time I get a VIN, it's rolling the dice a bit with Tesla as to whether it will ever work or be useful and I lean towards hesitancy on that.

@theatrus - dont forget, we are on a 4 month delay and counting. Its not wanting it "yesterday" Im just hoping it works by the EOQ 3.

Based on your post, are you planning to change your handle from ‘Maybeplaid’ to ‘Definitely Plaid ?’
I ordered a plaid in April, but it was white on white with carbon fiber so September seems likely hopefully. I got tired of waiting for the cybertruck, but this is still a crazy ton of money. It really does look like the best car in the world, but it still is just a car.

• Love
Reactions: Drew-MS
"how can you be mad about an advertised feature that doesnt work yet?" 😂
To prevent more and more delays, they probably thought it was better to start deliveries on the 10th vs. waiting until everything was perfect. Tesla probably knew folks were getting very impatient so they decided to start deliveries. And I agree.