Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of you continuing to believe there will be a Track Model, you clearly did not read the recent MT or other posts regarding track rules which apply all over the US. Tesla told MT it had no intentions to make these modifications. From the article:

"NHRA—drag racing's sanctioning body—will ban any vehicle quicker than 9.99 seconds or faster than 135 mph in the quarter from running at any of its tracks if said vehicle does not have the necessary safety equipment (as it famously did to the Dodge Challenger Demon). This includes a full roll cage, window net, driver restraint system, driveshaft loop (obviously not applicable in this situation), and master cutoff switch, not to mention a full race suit and helmet for the driver. Tesla is aware of this; its personnel joked with the track staff about being thrown off the strip for being too quick after our runs. Tesla says it has no plans to offer any of the necessary safety gear to make the Model S Plaid NHRA-legal."

Unless it has all of the track modifications, the Plaid is not going to be allowed at the track because it is too fast. And who here really wants a car with a roll cage and other physical changes which take a sedan and convert it to a race car?

Unlike some of you, I read both the good and the bad.

So far:

- Car feels insanely fast (OK - cool, I drive in chill mode, not applicable to me)
- I could rag on the Plaid and its performance, but Im not getting one and dont care, but wish Tesla spent more time on *sugar* other than 0-60 and QTR mile.
- Interior is a definite upgrade (big plus)
- Overall the cabin is quieter (big plus)
- Yoke is a gimmick and provides no real value (lame)
- Seems to be tons of things coming later/not activated, including BOTH my tilting screen AND ANC.
- Build quality is meh still. Paint sucks, gaskets are weird, door trim is misaligned.
- Taillights look like *sugar*.
- No idea what the real world range is.

So, yeah - I mean, hard to make a decision with that.
I guess you picked today to go full Tigers

Here's the problem I have with your post/argument on this topic: Tesla, from the article, went full PITA and micromanaged Motortrend's initial runs because they were so concerned about the vehicle hitting the advertised numbers. To me, if you have to put down special chemicals to hit a 0-60 time that isn't on any public road anywhere, then your car is being a bit oversold. I get that this *sugar* is a dick measuring contest and shouldn't matter, but! It's a big marketing/advertising thing and therefore, I think it is A-OK to scrutinize Tesla.

BTW - someone from Motortrend just posted on reddit that, without rollout subtracted, the 0-60 of the Plaid was ~2.28s. Obviously insanely fast - but interesting if the LR can hit it in 2.8 seconds with rollout subtracted...

“I get that this *sugar* is a dick measuring contest and shouldn't matter”

OK, one of the funniest quotes in the thread!

WRT your statement about the LR 2.8 sec time.... How do we know Rollout wasn’t subtracted? There is no * on the Tesla site, but perhaps that was intentional to increase the spread? We just don’t know until someone tracks a LR for confirmation.

I really am pissed off about the ANC though. Really pissed.
I get why you're pissed based on the things you listed, and I share the same feeling, but seriously, man, why would you be pissed about ANC? I'm actually super happy the cabin is extra quiet even without the ANC being active, it could only get better from here! And if somehow Tesla fails to make ANC work well, you can always just disable it and it will still be super quiet. Let's reserve some angry credits for whatever issues we're going to find when we get our cars :)

Those of you continuing to believe there will be a Track Model, you clearly did not read the recent MT or other posts regarding track rules which apply all over the US. Tesla told MT it had no intentions to make these modifications. From the article:

"NHRA—drag racing's sanctioning body—will ban any vehicle quicker than 9.99 seconds or faster than 135 mph in the quarter from running at any of its tracks if said vehicle does not have the necessary safety equipment (as it famously did to the Dodge Challenger Demon). This includes a full roll cage, window net, driver restraint system, driveshaft loop (obviously not applicable in this situation), and master cutoff switch, not to mention a full race suit and helmet for the driver. Tesla is aware of this; its personnel joked with the track staff about being thrown off the strip for being too quick after our runs. Tesla says it has no plans to offer any of the necessary safety gear to make the Model S Plaid NHRA-legal."

Unless it has all of the track modifications, the Plaid is not going to be allowed at the track because it is too fast. And who here really wants a car with a roll cage and other physical changes which take a sedan and convert it to a race car?

There are buyers, since Porsche does sell such cars ready for track conditions. Tesla sucks with variants and options, so I would never expect it from the factory.

On vacation for the next couple of days, so working on the to-do list ;)

Did the sound level check:
  • Used my iPhone
  • Used the NIOSH app, which seemed to have consistent positive reviews for accuracy
  • Mounted on the windshield, about even with the rear view mirror
  • Pirelli Scorpion Zeros on the X
  • Same strip of decent, not great freeway
In general, the Model X was about 3.5 dB louder than the Model S - these are at 25, 70 and 80 mph
  • Model S: 55/63/66
  • Model X: 58/67/70
I am not sure the absolute sound measurements are useful, but I think the delta is to help understand relative quietness

“I get that this *sugar* is a dick measuring contest and shouldn't matter”

OK, one of the funniest quotes in the thread!

WRT your statement about the LR 2.8 sec time.... How do we know Rollout wasn’t subtracted? There is no * on the Tesla site, but perhaps that was intentional to increase the spread? We just don’t know until someone tracks a LR for confirmation.

Well, if 3.1 is with rollout subtracted, they'd definitely want to tell you, as it would mean the Plaid is even faster. So, clearly it includes rollout, meaning an apples to apples is going to be something like "1.99" to 2.8ish. .8 is a big difference - but, I wonder how many people you could put in a LR and do 0-60 and tell them it was the Plaid...how many would even know the difference?

• Funny
Reactions: Moose57 and Drew-MS
There is no indication this is a plaid only feature. It is being advertised for both. I would be upset if it is a Plaid only feature.
I have always been under the assumption that ANC was on both cars. I was just surprised that @Tigers was so upset about it not being activated yet. Thought maybe I missed something. Why be upset about it prematurely? There is a good chance this will be enabled via OTA update soon, if not before we even receive our vehicles. People just need something to complain about I guess!

I've been mostly silently reading most pages this thread and have a couple of observations.

1: The LR will not in anyway perform close to the plaid version on the street or any other scenario. Not in feel, not in numbers, not at all. It's a completely different animal. That's fine It's 50k less. I know some people want to believe they're not really missing out on anything with their 80k purchase, but 600hp vs 1000 plus is a night and day difference so get over it.

2: I can't believe people are complaining about the plaid numbers after motortrends article. Every car that's this fast struggles with traction on street tires. This one actually does much better than all the others. Try doing what this does on the street with a dodge demon all you'll get is wheel spin.

It's the fastest car they've tested and it's a family sedan. All the numbers are as claimed apart from a trap speed 3 miles lower. This is insanely fast for a 130k vehicle that you can also haul your kids around.

3: if you want to wait fomo on missing some updates than go ahead. I don't need a running commentary on how you need updated floor mats before you buy the car. Either buy it for what it is now or wait, nobody cares if you keep your order or not.

I'm not trying to be mean, it's probably the cumulative of reading over a couple hundred pages. Carry on
Based on your post, are you planning to change your handle from ‘Maybeplaid’ to ‘Definitely Plaid ?’

• Funny
Reactions: Moose57

Those rules are necessary because ICE technology demands it. Tesla can do those times safely without the drama of blowing up or running into the wall. Rules will evolve….

I have always been under the assumption that ANC was on both cars. I was just surprised that @Tigers was so upset about it not being activated yet. Thought maybe I missed something. Why be upset about it prematurely? There is a good chance this will be enabled via OTA update soon, if not before we even receive our vehicles. People just need something to complain about I guess!

Why isn't it active now? Why do I have to wait for an update that may happen next week or, next year or, never to get an advertised feature? Hell, we are still waiting on auto wipers and auto high beams to work correctly - years later. And blind spot monitoring, for that matter.

I guess, perhaps, I just don't trust Tesla as much as others? IDK?

I should clarify when I say track package I do not mean a true track package. Should just call a plaid plus package. It will upgrade a few things.

• Funny
Reactions: T-Racer and josahua
OK guys - I have decided that, this is going to be the best car I have ever owned, it probably is a worlds apart from the outgoing Model S with quiet a bit of material quality improvement, seems like the sound insulation has gotten much better (even without the ANC :mad:) but, I figured I could live with that and the taillights and be really happy about the cushy cabin, quiet ride, air suspension, acceleration and overall feel of the car.

Now, my VIN please. 😵

Well, if 3.1 is with rollout subtracted, they'd definitely want to tell you, as it would mean the Plaid is even faster. So, clearly it includes rollout, meaning an apples to apples is going to be something like "1.99" to 2.8ish. .8 is a big difference - but, I wonder how many people you could put in a LR and do 0-60 and tell them it was the Plaid...how many would even know the difference?

I should have been more clear. How do we know the 3.1 for the LR did not include the rollout subtraction? Meaning the LR did it in 3.3, but that would make it too slow for the price point compared to the M3P. The 3.1 on the Tesla website is a nice spread from the 2 second Plaid, but not slower than the 3P, which would put off a lot of potential buyers.

Just spitballin’ here...

• Helpful
Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I should have been more clear. How do we know the 3.1 for the LR did not include the rollout subtraction? Meaning the LR did it in 3.3, but that would make it too slow for the price point compared to the M3P. The 3.1 on the Tesla website is a nice spread from the 2 second Plaid, but not slower than the 3P, which would put off a lot of potential buyers.

Just spitballin’ here...

It would be pretty deceptive if they included the asterisk on the Plaid, but not the Long Range. Their other cars are also advertised with just the rollout subtracted on the Performance model.