Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe that is what the relationship with Unplugged Performance is about--be a outside tuner (kinda like AMG was for MB) to do track mods and the like for folks that want them.
I've charged at the Tesla Hawthorne design center a few times and noticed that Unplugged Performance has space in the same industrial park. Not sure the relationship, but was surprising to me. Obviously they may just rent space nearby, but perhaps they are actually collaborative friends. The fact that Randy has a Plaid on a track tells me they prob are quite good friends.

• Informative
Reactions: AimStellar
BTW - someone from Motortrend just posted on reddit that, without rollout subtracted, the 0-60 of the Plaid was ~2.28s. Obviously insanely fast - but interesting if the LR can hit it in 2.8 seconds with rollout subtracted...

That seems kinda weird if my 0-60 on a bumpy backboard with a 2% grade was 2.32. I'd think a flat and smooth road (and likely a lighter driver) would yield a bigger difference.

To prevent more and more delays, they probably thought it was better to start deliveries on the 10th vs. waiting until everything was perfect. Tesla probably knew folks were getting very impatient so they decided to start deliveries. And I agree.

Fair, fair. I also seem to be the only one that cares about it regardless lol.

Another way of putting it is - let's ship something half baked ("MVP") and update later.

That's a fine strategy and works for elite companies. But, it comes down to trust of Tesla. Personally, I was just hoping it would be active so people could review it and that way we would know that it works and works well and will be useful.

Maybe others do not care, but for me, this was top 2 of the reasons I decided to get a Model S vs something else (the other being supercharging network). With this, if they don't have it functional by the time I get a VIN, it's rolling the dice a bit with Tesla as to whether it will ever work or be useful and I lean towards hesitancy on that.

@theatrus - dont forget, we are on a 4 month delay and counting. Its not wanting it "yesterday" Im just hoping it works by the EOQ 3.
Fwiw, this is literally Autopilot's rollout strategy as well. It has improved (somewhat) over time.

You're on a forum page with a bunch of people discussing a car they have not seen, expressing feelings and opinions about that situation, and you want everyone to stop doing that?

If I didn't want to hear everyone's excitement, grief, frustrations, and hopes, I would simply not read a forum of pre-order customers talking about a car that is still not completely defined and verified. You can do the same thing.

Not trying to be mean.

That's fine, but they're saying the same thing over and over. The speed claims are verified so the posts trying to minimize them are just silly at this point.

When every 3 posts are "but I need better taillights" it starts to get annoying.

Regarding the rear taillights. I believe this is another demand lever that they will pull, along with active spoiler. If you look at the S with the active spoiler, it has a completely different tailgate without the old appliqué, more in line with the 3 and Y. It’s obvious what they will do.
PS the new lights, even if they do fit, likely won’t be compatible. The refreshed headlights on the 2016+ S fit perfectly onto older S, but they were wired differently. Most likely intentional

That seems kinda weird if my 0-60 on a bumpy backboard with a 2% grade was 2.32. I'd think a flat and smooth road (and likely a lighter driver) would yield a bigger difference.
"Once ready and in its cheetah stance, the Model S Plaid's launch is drama-free, even without the added advantage of VHT. The electric car accelerates from 0 to 60 mph in just 2.07 seconds, more than 0.2 second quicker than our previous record holder. And if we could have kept going, our data says it's capable of running through the quarter mile in 9.34 seconds at 152.2 mph.
The gap between the Model S' times on prepped and unprepped surfaces is astonishingly close, as just 0.09 second separates them to 60 mph."

It's not 2.28 it's 1.98 on a vht and 2.08 on an unprepped surface.

Another way of putting it is - let's ship something half baked ("MVP") and update later.

That's a fine strategy and works for elite companies. But, it comes down to trust of Tesla. Personally, I was just hoping it would be active so people could review it and that way we would know that it works and works well and will be useful.

Maybe others do not care, but for me, this was top 2 of the reasons I decided to get a Model S vs something else (the other being supercharging network). With this, if they don't have it functional by the time I get a VIN, it's rolling the dice a bit with Tesla as to whether it will ever work or be useful and I lean towards hesitancy on that.

@theatrus - dont forget, we are on a 4 month delay and counting. Its not wanting it "yesterday" Im just hoping it works by the EOQ 3.
No. An MVP is used to test design concepts with customers--it is not meant to be a shippable product. The Model S is a functionally complete car--it does the things I (and most people) expect a car to do. While ANC is a nice and arguably important feature, it's not core functionality. As a product manager, do you hold the entire product until ANC is ready--I don't think you will find anyone what would make that call. I think most folks on this thread would applaud that decision.

As a customer, if ANC is a primary requirement, you always have the option to hold off your purchase until you can examine ANC and see if it meets your need. No one is asking you to trust anything.