Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just think - it is right in the manual for the new vehicle. Tempest is staggered on the new vehicles and wasn't on the previous gen. formerly 8.5" all around and now 9.5" front and 10.5" rear. No non-staggered option listed in the manual for any wheel configuration anymore. (which sucks if you like being able to rotate your tires.)
Exactly. They can’t use the old tempest wheels for numerous reasons. The car is wider and wheels have a different offset now. They need to use the new tempest wheels for a wider track, handling and to fill the wheel well. That’s probably why no 19’s have been delivered yet.

Exactly. They can’t use the old tempest wheels for numerous reasons. The car is wider and wheels have a different offset now. They need to use the new tempest wheels for a wider track, handling and to fill the wheel well. That’s probably why no 19’s have been delivered yet.
I don’t think there is anything to the rumor that the silver wheels are the old width. Plenty of mules were seen with silver 19’s with 255/285 tire width. It’s just a color change.

I don’t think there is anything to the rumor that the silver wheels are the old width. Plenty of mules were seen with silver 19’s with 255/285 tire width. It’s just a color change.
I agree with this, it is two separate issues. But I'll bet a few nickels that when they decided to stop using silver they didn't order more staggered silver setups than are already on the dirt lot cars. The larger issue is that they cannot just fall back to using any of their previous generation wheels at all, so there is nothing that can be done to remedy the situation until the new staggered/offset wheels show up.

Not just think - it is right in the manual for the new vehicle. Tempest is staggered on the new vehicles and wasn't on the previous gen. formerly 8.5" all around and now 9.5" front and 10.5" rear. No non-staggered option listed in the manual for any wheel configuration anymore. (which sucks if you like being able to rotate your tires.)
right, here is the page from the manual for reference:

Screenshot 2021-06-23 225044.jpg

I know, I know.AMG-GTS is a environmentally unfriendly gas guzzling vehicle. The Plaid (even my Long range) is faster 0-60 than the MB. I recently sold my AMG-GTS and I must say I really do miss the sound and feel of that car. It was as rock solid doing 190 on the highway as it was doing 70 mph. Every time I hit the start button the sound of that engine warmed my heart. Oh and Mercedes service is great. Nice loaner cars or sitting areas if you wanted to wait (at least at my MB dealer in NJ)
This will be my first EV snd Tesla. I am very excited but I have many fond memories from some of my ICE sport cars. I am hoping that my new S will create wonderful memories also.
But unlike MB, Tesla is by far the worst company I have ever tried to buy a car from. Ordered Dec, promised mid February delivery. Then mid May. Then tried to call HQ and get the real scoop on my delivery. Guess what. There is no one there to respond to customer requests. The SA's at the local stores are given no real information, so they are forced to guess or lie about what is happening with you car. Then you look at your order on the account page. sometimes you will have an estimated delivery date while other times that info disappears. I recently had ED of 6/21-6/30. Then no ED. Last week I had ED of June until Thursday. Friday no ED, just blank until this morning with the account page showing ED of July.
You can not believe anything Tesla tells you regarding delivery or any of the conjecture on what is delaying your car. Anyone you might speak with from Tesla just don't know anything..

There have been so few real deliveries, that it is difficult to find any true pattern to how and why they decide to deliver a car to anywhere. I also sold my main car and installed Tesla's wall charger so I would be ready for my February delivery. Fortunately we have an extra car that I have been driving over the past 6 months.
I can only imagine how wonderful the Tesla service will be. You can only make an appointment through the Tesla App I believe.
But Tesla is the only real EV game in town.

The most reliable info you will find is on this forum. but even here, take everything with a grain of salt (this color or interior is not being made, or Florida will get priority over California, or the 19" wheels or lack of ordering Full Self Driving are holding up your order) and put you at the back of the line.
BTW: What area do you live?

Again, I am excited about my new S and am sure I will enjoy it. However there are a lot of ?????? for me.

Welcome to the Tesla family and the Tesla way. 😃
I live in Orange County California. When I called them today they stated that switching to the wood wouldn't get my car to me any faster. I think I will just wait it out and get the carbon fiber. Not sure I want to be first in line anymore anyways. Maybe they will slow down and get them built right if I am just patient. Good luck to you also!

I like that the efficiency of the new motors means I get most of the range of a LR with a crazy fast car now. I want it all, dammit!

Who has the time to wait an extra second to reach 60 miles per hour, honestly?
I would argue you aren’t ”getting it all “ with 19’s. like wearing Birkenstocks with a tuxedo because they are more comfortable.

Range.

Winter.
Didn't realize the car comes with summer tires. This means I'll be getting a car that can only be driven for about 2 months before I have to replace the tires...
This whole concept of winter and summer tires is foreign to some of us. In Southern California, summer tires are all season tires. I’m sure it is similar in South Florida and other Southern states. Driving a plaid in the snow with winter tires definitely makes the LR more appealing, since you will really only be able to utilize the extra performance a few months out of the year in some areas.

Regarding the standard 19" wheels/deliveries:

Afaik, none of us has seen a single dark grey tempest wheel or cover in the real world, yet. We've only seen website renders. I know speculation is the standard currency of this forum right now, but It is a pretty darned safe bet that anyone who ordered a Plaid with those wheels won't receive their car until @gabeincal shows us at least one single example of a Model S with them installed.

I know some refresh cars with silver tempest wheels have been seen out in the world, but those are almost certainly coming from the Fremont dirt lot, and the vast majority of the cars in that lot are LR. The few Plaid cars I've spotted in that mix have Arachnids.
Very true. To be honest I wish they just offered Arachnids in 19". I don't like the look of the Tempest, but I also don't want a 21" low profile wheel. If they just made smaller arachnids I'd be all over that.