Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn't realize the car comes with summer tires. This means I'll be getting a car that can only be driven for about 2 months before I have to replace the tires...
They insist on it. It was a huge ordeal when I got my original X P90D. They absolutely refused to put anything but three seasons on it. In the end, I prefer them and it gave me a chance to buy a second set of rims for my winter tires. Don’t replace two month old tires - just swap them off for the winter.

This whole concept of winter and summer tires is foreign to some of us. In Southern California, summer tires are all season tires. I’m sure it is similar in South Florida and other Southern states. Driving a plaid in the snow with winter tires definitely makes the LR more appealing, since you will really only be able to utilize the extra performance a few months out of the year in some areas.
True but I’ve driven many of my cars with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for amazing performance and traction in S FL’s heavy thunderstorms & rain while still getting ~ 20-25k mi on them before changing them out. I think that’s better than having to get new tires every 12-15k mi as they typically wear that quickly here in S FL due to the high heat and harsh roads made with asphalt & crushed up seashells.

I suspect I may do the same after my Michelin Pilot Sports wear out on my MS Plaid OR possibly get a set of those new Michelin EV tires that are coming out this fall, specifically for EVs. I think here in S FL, unless you’re tracking your car, a good balance of performance, traction, & decent wear is best.

Both the 19s and 21s have the same offset: 40mm front and 45mm rear.
If I find aftermarket 20" wheels with a different offset (let's say 35mm,) can I just use a 5mm spacer for the front and a 10mm spacer in the rear ? Or do I need to make sure the aftermarket wheels have the same offset as the Tesla wheels ?

the spacer would "lower" the offset/et. an et50 w/5mm spacer would be 45et.

you do not need to make sure the aftermarket wheels are the same offset as stock wheels, the offset can change depending on the wheel width.

if you are going with 20" aftermarket, the parts list had zero-g wheels at front: 20x10 (285/35), rear: 20x11 (305/30). but no mention of the offset for these wheels

Well, its true that the car still has radar, but that does not mean it is using it. I have not tried setting AP speed above 75, but following distance with AP on is not currently adjustable from the thumbwheel. I had AP on for most of the aforementioned 100 mile drive and it worked well--no weirdness, phontom braking, snuggling up to semis or anything (my frame of reference is AP 1 in my wife's X).

I kinda wish it would throw up a dialog on the screen say something "I am planning to brake for that stopped vehicle ahead, even though it might not seem like it right now"

It is absolutely using the radar. The code uses it if it’s present, and works a little differently if it’s not. Green confirmed this a little while ago.

Clarifier. “Performance” tires are really three season tires unless you live someplace where winter is really long. Sustained days below 45 degrees and the three seasons aren’t great. But in any other condition, and especially rain, three season/performance are much better than all season. That’s the main reason I pay to have two sets of tires.

For as amazing as these cars are, the ONLY part of them that touches the road is the tire. Don’t skimp. Especially not on a $100,000+ car.

Well, another update after having my previous VIN removed. I got an email about noon today with a new VIN. This one seems to be official since an email was sent when it was assigned. I also got a text and email to schedule an appointment for pickup about 6 hours later.

Tentative pickup on June 28th, but holding the excitement till the keys are in hand.

Good luck to everyone else waiting on a VIN!

True but I’ve driven many of my cars with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for amazing performance and traction in S FL’s heavy thunderstorms & rain while still getting ~ 20-25k mi on them before changing them out. I think that’s better than having to get new tires every 12-15k mi as they typically wear that quickly here in S FL due to the high heat and harsh roads made with asphalt & crushed up seashells.

I suspect I may do the same after my Michelin Pilot Sports wear out on my MS Plaid OR possibly get a set of those new Michelin EV tires that are coming out this fall, specifically for EVs. I think here in S FL, unless you’re tracking your car, a good balance of performance, traction, & decent wear is best.
Yes, the summer performance tires like the Pilot Sports wear out incredibly quickly. I’ve never gotten more than 12k miles out of them, and that adds up really quickly if you drive a lot. With the minimal amount of rain we receive here in drought country, I prefer the summer performance tires to All Seasons. You don’t really have any twisty back roads or mountain passes in South Florida, so I‘m sure you don’t really realize the full benefit of regular Pilot Sports unless you track your cars. Here, summer tires are a significant upgrade in performance.

My LR order is still Blank and both Plaid orders still say June. That is one bogus algorithm they are using to calculate delivery dates.

Last edited:
The most American made auto list now includes the Tesla Model 3 at the number 1 spot and the Model Y at the number 3 spot.