Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on your driving. I have 32k miles on the PS4S on my M3Perf and they're juuuuuust hanging in there. But I do mostly highway miles.
That is some pretty impressive mileage for PS4’s. I’m surprised you can get that type of life on a Performance Model 3. You must not be making too many full throttle launches. In my Ludicrous Model S, the wheel wells would be covered in rubber residue after each drive. I guess I wasn’t that great at restrained driving to maximize mileage. I figure, why buy the performance version if you aren’t going to enjoy it!?

I was actually told numerous times I would be given an allocation. Then the allocations disappeared. Dealerships also tried to make me pay 10k-20k over msrp. Instead of complaining, I looked around for useful information how to get an allocation. I was able to find an allocation for both at msrp. After I gave my build I was told numerous times my car would start being built soon, but they kept getting delayed for months. I eventually got the cars, but I know many people that paid over msrp for their GT4's and GT3's because they didn't want to wait. At least Tesla sells their cars at msrp. I'll take the bad with the good and wait patiently for my Model S. To each their own.
Thanks for the detailed response. I think a key difference for some, myself included, is we are waiting for our daily driver, not a weekend / track car to add to the garage. I’m fairly certain you aren’t using a GT4 as a daily driver. I sold my Model S in March because I was told to expect a March delivery. Now I’m stuck sharing my wife’s Model X while waiting indefinitely for my Plaid Model S, without a definitive date.

There are some who’ve had to resort to renting a car because of similar circumstances where they sold their daily driver due to inaccurate delivery date info from Tesla. I’m actually not one of the people complaining in this forum, but I understand their pain and frustration.

The roof is great, IMO you need tint on the side windows and hatch glass, especially with CA sun
Hmm. So I guess maybe the windows are UV rated, but not heat rated. Just out of curiosity which tint shade did you go with on which windows? I've read that a lot of people do 35. Seems a little dark to me though for night driving.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
If you tell a kid he can have ice cream in an hour and then don't give him ice cream for a few weeks, that kid is gonna be rightfully upset.

More like:

Dad, can I have chocolate ice cream?

Sure son.

30 minutes later: Son, I've decided that cookie dough ice cream is good enough. There's no need for chocolate. So how about some cookie dough ice cream instead?

OK Dad, sounds good. Not as good as chocolate. But it's still ice cream.

Next day: Son, you remember that cookie dough ice cream I promised you? Well, the cookie dough factory is down for refurbishing. So if you still want cookie dough, it's going to be a few weeks. But if you want Chocolate Chip, I can get it to you in three days.

OK Dad. I really just want some ice cream. So whatever gets it sooner.

One week later: Son, remember that chocolate chip ice cream we talked about? Yeah, so the chocolate chip supplier had an issue with his shipment of cacao beans, and well, the ice cream manufacturer doesn't have any chocolate chips. But I think I might be able to get you cookie dough by Friday?

Dad, I thought you said the cookie dough factory was down?

It was son, it was, but I think they must have found some cookie dough stock somewhere. So it's looking good.

OK Dad.

Two days later: Dad, when am I getting my ice cream?

Dad: Blank

Son: You said the end of the week. What does Blank mean?

Dad: Blank

Son: OK, so am I ever getting ice cream?

Dad: Blank.

Daughter: Dad, can I get some ice cream?

Dad: Sure daughter! In fact, you can have it today!

Daughter: But Dad, it's 9:00 PM and we have no ice cream in the house. The stores are closed. How are you going to get me ice cream today?

Dad: I told you, Daughter, since your request is new, you can get it today!

Son: But wait, I asked you for ice cream three weeks ago?

Dad: Son, don't you remember what I told you about the chocolate chips?

Well, just got some bad news… Tesla just called me and thanked me for my March Plaid order. He then proceeded to ask if I wanted to switch to the wood trim in order to receive an earlier delivery, possibly within the next week. He said if I want to keep the CF trim I'll have to wait until AUGUST because that's when CF orders will begin. They're trying to fulfill the wood orders first and my account came up for review as one of those who could get a Plaid sooner rather than later. I pulled up the website to look at the wood trim and left him hanging for a few seconds, but held the line and said I'd wait for the CF because I rather get my Plaid the way I want it, especially for this kind of money. Nothing against the wood trim as I think it looks good, but I chose red specifically to go for a more sporty-aggressive look which I think CF would compliment more (I don't know)? Anyways, I'm super bummed now as I know I won't be getting it this month or next 😭 I was really looking forward to bringing my baby girl (due in July) home in this beautiful ride. Damn you Tesla!
You are brave. I called and was ready to give up CF but not 19" wheels or red or cream. Did not work. I tried no wheels option, guy chuckled, but said no can do. Then I thought, wouldn't be nice to have that option: no wheels?
I decided to keep waiting till August/September or whatever. We'll see how long I will last. Any bets?

Well that was an "interesting" interaction......
I stopped by my SC to see if they had received any more Plaids. First stop was service and they were not aware of any more than the White I'd seen on Monday. Next stop was the "Sales" folks up front........

I asked if they had received any more Plaids other than the White earlier in the week. She said they did receive a couple more. I asked to see them just for an idea of the color. She said no, they are customer cars. I then asked if there was a hold on 19"s. She knew nothing of that.

The interesting part for me was just how snotty this lady was. She summoned me to the counter when she freed up so she initiated the conversation. I asked simple polite questions and came away feeling like I needed a shower (not the ICE dealership kinda shower but more the nerve of you kinda shower).

It's a crying shame. I used to know all the reps and service people by name when they were at Dyer. They were, to a one, nice people engaged in the process and actually cared. I've kept up several of those relationships as they have moved to different positions in the company or outside. The only reason I do not know the current crop is my car never breaks and thus never needs to go back for service.

Now they are robotic, have little to no interest in what they are doing and really should not be anywhere near the word sales let alone attempting to practice any type of sales interaction. I guess I just miss the good ole days.

I think I'll just ask to take delivery from service; I'm much more comfortable with those folks :)

Hmm. So I guess maybe the windows are UV rated, but not heat rated. Just out of curiosity which tint shade did you go with on which windows? I've read that a lot of people do 35. Seems a little dark to me though for night driving.
My tint will be 30% all doors and rear hatch and then 70% on the windshield primarily for heat rejection. If you think it is too dark, you get mostly the same heat rejection at all the various levels. Beyond 70%, it is just about how dark you want it.

View attachment 677163

Half the people on this forum remind me of this kid. Relax. Be patient and get wait for your car. If you can't deal with the lack of communication or delays, buy something else.
People like you are the reason companies like Tesla pull this crap. How about being objective enough to realize that proper communication will not only be good for us consumers but will also work in Tesla's favor. Asking for true estimated delivery dates by customers is only a fair demand. If you're gonna nut hug, at least make it less obvious.

Called again to try and switch my 19s to 21s on my plaid order was told that only plus orders that migrated to plaid can have a one time change with out upgrading to the new pricing … so I guess I have to just wait it out for 19s
It's up to you to actually believe it or not lol Seems like SAs are making stuff up when its convenient to them

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I am getting XPEL Prime XR Plus 35 on the back windows and hatch and 70 on the front driver and passenger windows. If you are new to tint and worry about these things, CA requires front windows to have 70% VLT (and your installer should give you a certificate that the front windows are compliant).

Last edited:
I am getting XPEL Prime XR Plus 35 on the back windows and hatch and 70 on the front driver and passenger windows. If you are new to tint and worry about these things, CA requires front windows to have 70% VLT (and your installer should give you a certificate that the front windows are complaint).
would love to see the pictures after that's done! :)

After experiencing and reading all about the Tesla delivery process I miss my Audi lol

I sold my RS7 so I had funds for the Plaid+ which was subsequently cancelled, but I'm loving my used 2014 Kia Sorento. No worries about door dings there. It already has some :p

When I purchased the Audi they gave me the exact pickup week, months in advance, and I had all of the manufacture dates. I knew the boat it was going to be on and the day it left Germany so I tracked the boat as it crossed the ocean. I watched the boat pull into Halifax NS on the live harbor cam and then knew when it got loaded onto the train. I got pics from the dealership the day it arrived on the truck before they even offloaded it.

So far with Tesla it has been WAY less exciting and more WTF lol
I expect it from Audi, I’ve heard similar from friends who ordered BMW M3/5’s… What chaps my hind parts is I could track the build, train, and trailer my Jeep Wrangler was on…I was there when the truck pulled in.. If Fiat can figure this out anyone should be able to.