Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.. how many of us still have "June" has estimated delivery? Every night I dream about getting my car delivered and then I wake up and it's not in my garage.. sigh.

HOW RUDE. They should be able to do production runs of xx color w/ yy interior seats & trim; we've already seen them with white seats and CF interiors getting VINS and being delivered. Just the fact that both white seats & CF trim are together in one car shouldn't matter; I believe they have the materials even if in lower quantities. They should be able to fulfill older orders from Jan-March, 2021 anyway and any new orders from May or June could be pushed out to Sept.

Agree with this logic! Waiting for my Plaid with FSD since Feb that promised March -> June -> now August delivery. It makes no sense that June orders are getting June delivery...

I ended up picking plaid, because my M3P does 0-60 in 3.02, and i figured i can’t get a new car with the same speed or possibly .08 seconds slower. That’s the problem with LR is that it’s the same speed as the Model 3P, so it makes it hard for me to justify from a performance perspective.

If that kind of performance is the priority, then yes the Plaid would be a better choice. The LR will probably go faster - or even get a boost - than 3.1 and those two (LR and M3P) and are negligibly close. The 3 and S are avocadoes and cumquats comparison in all other areas.

Keep in mind Tesla states that the M3P is 3.1 (with rollout subtracted) and LR is 3.1 (without rollout subtracted).

Last edited:
Is it possible for you to take a photo of the pedal and steering screen? Also does yours have the ventilation seats? Congratulations to you! Long time tesla owner here and just to want to confirm a few things before our delivery of our LR S!
Can speak to the ventilated seats - yes, the LR does. But it does not have the side bolster ventilated like the Plaid does. So your outside thigh will be hot for $50,000 less.

Also curious on the pedals.

I ended up picking plaid, because my M3P does 0-60 in 3.02, and i figured i can’t get a new car with the same speed or possibly .08 seconds slower. That’s the problem with LR is that it’s the same speed as the Model 3P, so it makes it hard for me to justify from a performance perspective.
I might be proven wrong but I doubt it. I’m guessing the LR will roast a M3P in the 1/4 mile time and trap speed. I’m going with 10.5-7 at 125mph.

If that kind of performance is the priority, then yes the Plaid would be a better choice. The LR will probably go faster - or even get a boost - than 3.1 and those two (LR and M3P) and are negligibly close. The 3 and S are avocadoes and cumquats comparison in all other areas.

Keep in mind Tesla states that the M3P is 3.1 (with rollout subtracted) and LR is 3.1 (without rollout subtracted).
I didn’t know that but should have figured since it’s not a P, that they don’t Calc the rollout. But having an order that is $10k less than the new price kinda helps me feel slightly better about having a Plaid order.

I just emailed my SA to see if I can remove FSD and still take delivery of the LR that was just assigned a VIN. I will let you guys know if it is possible when I hear back.
So, my SA just removed FSD from the purchase agreement and agreed to drop off my LR MS in my driveway even though I’m out of state. I just need to have someone inspect the car after drop off to let me know if I need to report any issues.

The car will be delivered on June 30th!

For anyone whos taken delivery, do all the various voice commands work yet? like saying "i'm hot" or "speed up wipers" How about "left blinker on" or "honk horn" that would be a nice feature
If you say I’m hot the temperature will decrease by 3 degrees each tim you say it.
raise or lower temperature isn’t recognized.
blinker command “not recognized yet”
No on honk horn.

The range is so close on the two that it was not a consideration for me. While I can appreciate the shear performance of the Plaid, I would only appreciate it a few times before it would become "normal". Also, I have no friends and no one that I really care to impress with it. Since the performance is the only difference, I opted to save the money and just go LR. It is plenty fast for me and I get to enjoy all the other aspects of the Plaid - including the non-red brake calipers.

You will not go wrong either way and only you know if you will regret not getting the Plaid.
My thoughts exactly. How often will I really need or use the difference between 3.2 and 1.99 second acceleration or the range between 155 and 200 (163?) MPH and is that worth $50K for a car I’ll only have for 3 years?

All, I took delivery (earlier than expected) yesterday and would like to give some first impressions.

I know this should be it's own thread in a different forum, but I think this thread is the most active of all, so I thought I'd start this here. This is a quick list of thoughts and I will update. Preamble: I have been driving Tesla since 2012 and my last car was a 2018 MX (old MCU).
  • Interior fit and finish very nice
    • seems more refined than prior MS
    • only thing that seems a bit cheap is the cloth portion of the door
    • my center console is also malfunctioning. The top sliding door worked for about an hour. Now, it won't stay open or half-open. It just slides all the way shut when you let go of it. Have service technician coming to my house next week
  • Doors require a little more oomph to close than I was expecting
    • that said, I am coming from MX that has doors that close themselves
  • Exterior looks sharp
  • Driving experience is amazing. No surprise there. Fast, smooth, corners better than anything I have ever driven
  • Software and hardware are great
    • huge step up from my MCU MX. Interface good and operating system is snappy and responsive
  • Yoke experience:
    • So far, I would describe my opinion of the yoke as "tolerant". Simple, 90 degree turns are easy and kind of fun. But in most cases, it requires you to be actively aware of the steering wheel position. It's not hard or terribly awkward, but it requires more mental effort than I would like. I always considered Tesla's to be so easy to drive that they almost drive themselves (no pun intended, and am not referring to FSD. Just referring to the ease of driving). Having the yoke almost negates that experience. In prior Tesla's, running errands and driving kids to and from practice were never a chore. I actually looked forward to driving. So far, I don't quite feel that way. I feel like the driving experience requires more mental energy and work because of the yoke
    • If given a choice, hands down I would choose a round wheel
  • Stalkless Experience:
    • Turn signals:
      • Don't want to be heretical, but these are both very bad. As many have speculated here, Tesla took something elementary and made it hard. We all learned around the age of 15 how to use turn signals and we now have to rewire our brains to do something that used to be really intuitive. Is it doable? For sure, but like the yoke, it requires more mental alertness and concentration than it should. Detracts from the joy of driving.
      • A lot of people like to point out how Elon and Steve Jobs are great at telling us what we like. We don't always know it until we have it in our hands. That's great for iPhones, but not when it comes to handling a vehicle that is capable of going 200 MPH. Keep it simple and safe.
    • Horn:
      • terrible design decision, IMO. There is room in the middle of the yoke for a horn. Why not just make it honk? I have had two situations in which a horn was necessary. One of them was a close call, cause my right hand was not exactly where it needed to be to honk the horn. I can see this being a problem.
    • Park, Forward Reverse selection
      • My car is still "calibrating" (whatever that means), so I can't let it guess my direction yet. Using the screen is fine, but an unnecessary PITA, IMO. I have once swiped down when I meant to swipe up. Fortunately, no cars were behind me.
  • Getting in an out of the car is harder than I remember on my old MS's. This is not specific to MS Plaid. It is more a function of my age and the fact that I got used to SUV dynamics.

Overall, the car is awesome, but I lament the amount of mental focus it takes to drive. I will give it more time and update, but I am not 100% certain I will be keeping this car.

Sorry to be so negative, but I think it's important to balance the enthusiasm with reality. All this is one dude's opinion based on 24 hours experience, so keep that in mind.
Maybe someone smarter than me can help me with this. I am not sure how to best provide a running update for those who want more information. I can't edit the original post above, so I am just quoting myself.

Update: The car is for sure fun to drive. Maybe we need to re-envision ourselves as speed racer as opposed to suburban car pool dad. That may make the yoke more palatable.

Meanwhile, I cannot figure out how to look at sentry video. The interface is so different from what I had in my MX. Does anyone here know?