Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We all have a vested interest in Tesla speeding up production. Let’s try a thought experiment, how would you optimize production to maximize output for cars #2+ because obviously #1 off the line would be your own 😂

Here’s what I would hope for:
1) Batch orders received within a two week period for maximum efficiency, or any time period of fewer than two weeks of backlog exists—eliminate any that have an item with supply chain issues (build up supply the whole time though)

2) Batch production by location and volume—areas with most popularity get vehicles first and location being the first grouping minimizes logistic costs. If extra spaces exist on the logistics transport, pull in additional orders into step #1, until the carrier is full.

3) Produce cars by color based on groups of locations (3-5 states at a time)

4) Ship and make $$$

——

This was actually more difficult than I thought at first because you need to prioritize logistics/supply chain/spend by the company while also maximizing output.

I would hope Tesla uses an efficient system, but we saw today’s VINs assigned all over the US, so they are either filling in extra carrier slots from M3/MY shipments with a MS, or their system design needs work.

Here’s what I would hope for:
1) Batch orders …—eliminate any that have an item with supply chain issues (build up supply the whole time though)

With supply constrained builds, I would split parts between multiple vehicles whenever possible—i.e. white seats car with wood, black car with CF, MSM car with 19” wheels, so that N+ cars are made whenever N supply constrained parts are used. Sorry @sflgator 😓

You could also optimize batching by ignoring when an order was placed 😭

Could it be that Tesla is actually producing cars in an optimized order? No way, right?! 🤯

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Hey guys! I haven't been on here for quite some time. I was in Vegas for a few days, the last day I was in Vegas I get a call around 11:55 PM on Wednesday. It was my SA asking me if I wanted a Red Plaid that just got delivered at my local dealership. Within a minute I responded with a very loud "YES". I originally ordered Black with White Seats, Carbon Fiber and 19 inches so I was little sad I didn't get exactly what I wanted but I can honestly say I'm glad that I accepted the red. The next morning I did the wire transfer, booked my flight back home. Fresh off the plane, went straight to the dealership. Then I saw her, she was absolutely beautiful. I signed my 3 papers and I was literally in my car driving home with it. I instantly was familiar with the Yoke because of all of you guys who posted earlier about it (huge thanks!). I was already familiar with all of the features and specs. I still haven't done cheetah mode but this car is amazing. I still can't believe I own the fastest production car on earth.

Attachments

• 2C192E3A-5004-4656-8E14-44872044FCE5.jpeg
    2C192E3A-5004-4656-8E14-44872044FCE5.jpeg
    577.4 KB · Views: 102
Hey guys! I haven't been on here for quite some time. I was in Vegas for a few days, the last day I was in Vegas I get a call around 11:55 PM on Wednesday. It was my SA asking me if I wanted a Red Plaid that just got delivered at my local dealership. Within a minute I responded with a very loud "YES". I originally ordered Black with White Seats, Carbon Fiber and 19 inches so I was little sad I didn't get exactly what I wanted but I can honestly say I'm glad that I accepted the red. The next morning I did the wire transfer, booked my flight back home. Fresh off the plane, went straight to the dealership. Then I saw her, she was absolutely beautiful. I signed my 3 papers and I was literally in my car driving home with it. I instantly was familiar with the Yoke because of all of you guys who posted earlier about it (huge thanks!). I was already familiar with all of the features and specs. I still haven't done cheetah mode but this car is amazing. I still can't believe I own the fastest production car on earth.
Congrats, she’s beautiful!!
(PS: the quickest, and certainly fast, but not the fastest car on earth ;) )

I suggest reading the owners manual if you haven't already.
Interesting, they produced 2,340 and delivered 1,890. This leaves 450 cars produced but not delivered. Are most of those still sitting in that lot in Fremont, or do you guys think these are just cars that are still in transit?
If you look at Gabeincal’s YouTube flyover video for June 30, right at 8:26 he is flying over the “Tesla Fremont Temp Lot” and there were exactly 452 cars in that lot which may be all the undelivered Model S cars. Link is:

Last edited:
From what my untrained eye can tell, looks like far fewer cars standing around. Maybe a bunch by train?
Not significantly. There's all the cars in the secondary lot, then the cars on the testing grounds, along with 2 other lots - one along the wall by the railroad the other is a lot not far off from the track. All the cars look like they're collecting dust.

I'm wondering if the ones being loaded onto carriers are coming straight off the production line and they'll get to the others that are missing parts when they can. Some have been sitting around for at least a month - not sure I would take one of these under the circumstances vs a fresh one.

With supply constrained builds, I would split parts between multiple vehicles whenever possible—i.e. white seats car with wood, black car with CF, MSM car with 19” wheels, so that N+ cars are made whenever N supply constrained parts are used. Sorry @sflgator 😓

You could also optimize batching by ignoring when an order was placed 😭

Could it be that Tesla is actually producing cars in an optimized order? No way, right?! 🤯
Producing, sure. Delivering? 😅

I mean...the price is pretty comparable though. Not sure why it's only fair to compare output to output.

But yeah, this is a very different car, and no doubt superlative at what it's designed to do. As fast as the Plaid is, it still doesn't have the cachet, pedigree, or well roundedness (from a performance driving perspective) of a GT3. Then again, you could say exactly the opposite when it comes to ability to comfortably move people and luggage!
The problem is that it is getting ever more difficult to generate clear differentiation. The GT3 is not your garden verity 911 off the showroom floor. Apply the same approach and Tesla delivers a very low production Plaid with track pack that turns that Laguna time. Viola, the Plaid as delivered from Tesla out performs the GT3 at the track.

Musk wanted to prove that BeV can compete with ICE on every level. He is going way beyond that if a track pack version of a Plaid can out lap a GT3. They are still different cars and there are still a lot of people that would prefer one over the other but the RAW differentiation between the two car's outright performance is shrinking at an alarming pace.

Wow that's a lot of words for "they didn't have everything ready in time for launch".
This is an option that Tesla has decided to remove from every car model produced. It has nothing to do with it not being ready in time for the Model S launch. It is about optimizing efficiency across the fleet. This is something most Tesla buyers actually cared about, but the extreme performance of the P cars and now the Plaid has obviously attracted a new customer base that is much less concerned with efficiency.