Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree
It depends on your definition of what affording it means. Most people overspend on cars and have very little savings or investments.
However, I def have saved sufficiently (and continue to do so) for retirement. But, I preach to everyone to "never buy new, try to aim for 2-3 yr old used that still has some bumper to bumper warranty remaining to mitigate some risk while letting the original buyer of the car be the sucker who gets the depreciation hit".

Meanwhile? I have a NEW LR on order. LOL. Not taking my own advice!

(But the way I look at it, $80k or so less that my heirs wont be dividing up at some point in the future. Oh well).

The tint laws in NY are the same as CA so you just need to have a doctor sign a DMV tint exemption form and then send in to DMV. Worked great for me but
you need a doctor to sign the form. Make an appointment with an eye doctor and tell him/her that you have photophobia associated with an ophthalmic disorder. In English it means the sun bothers your eyes ha.
Just don't come to my ophthalmology office since we will just tell you to turn in your license and we will not grant you a bs exemption.

I know it may seem like a waste of money to spend $4500 on the 21" arachnids, but I truly like them a lot. I was dead set on the 19s, and will def get alternate wheels for long drives/winter, but overall they look damn good on the car.

Also on the $$$, here's $2100 for literally nothing, if you buy a slower car from Dodge.
\(Also LOL that this shows up in their online car configurator like an option.... "Added".)

:)
Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 8.17.49 AM.png

I think I just found a cool toy to buy to kill some time while I’m waiting. Never knew RC cars are this fast. Sweeet
The Felony is $649, BUT..includes everything except batteries for the car and the charger needed for the batteries. However..WORTH EVERY PENNY. Even has some sort of built in gyro that keeps the nose pointed straight ahead when you hit small bumps during your flat out drag runs. AND comes with a optional 27tooth gear that gets you up to around the 90mph+ mark (but less low end torque, but still enough torque to easily spin wheels at full throttle). And of course can mod it further to get well over 120mph or so. (but then aerodynamics can get a bit tricky)

MASSIVE fun. I use two 6000mah 3S Lipos.

Last edited:
I agree

However, I def have saved sufficiently (and continue to do so) for retirement. But, I preach to everyone to "never buy new, try to aim for 2-3 yr old used that still has some bumper to bumper warranty remaining to mitigate some risk while letting the original buyer of the car be the sucker who gets the depreciation hit".

Meanwhile? I have a NEW LR on order. LOL. Not taking my own advice!

(But the way I look at it, $80k or so less that my heirs wont be dividing up at some point in the future. Oh well).
That has typically been my advice as well, but this year has kind of changed things. Used car prices are so insane that I strongly encouraged my mom to just buy a new car because the value just wasn't there for a used one anymore. I also have a LR on order against my own advice 😆 oh well, YOLO as we millennials apparently say.

Coming from Porsche, $10K for FSD option that almost does nothing (unless you win the beta lottery) is a bargain. 🤪 Have you seen how they option you to death for the most ridiculous things? I priced a Taycan, and with features that should be included I was in another $35K on a $185K car. Duh.. $220K out the door and it’s an inferior car where it matters.

$130K for Plaid is just a stupid awesome bargain for what we get. It ticks every box except for the narcissistic super car good looks. But I much more appreciate the wolf in sheep’s clothing because I have no desire to turn heads while i silently beat every production super car in existence.

Back to waiting and distractions. Spent the morning trying to crank up the club head speed and managed a few flights on the RC Heli’s. Now off to meeting hell..

Coming from Porsche, $10K for FSD option that almost does nothing (unless you win the beta lottery) is a bargain. 🤪 Have you seen how they option you to death for the most ridiculous things? I priced a Taycan, and with features that should be included I was in another $35K on a $185K car. Duh.. $220K out the door and it’s an inferior car where it matters.

$130K for Plaid is just a stupid awesome bargain for what we get. It ticks every box except for the narcissistic super car good looks. But I much more appreciate the wolf in sheep’s clothing because I have no desire to turn heads while i silently beat every production super car in existence.

Back to waiting and distractions. Spent the morning trying to crank up the club head speed and managed a few flights on the RC Heli’s. Now off to meeting hell..

Beautifully said! Like I was discussing yesterday, the Plaid simply makes the Taycan look very bad in almost every way.
And the price is just through the roof. Priced out how I would want it, it was almost $240,000! Literally, a Model S LR plus a Honda Civic of difference. The Taycan is a good looking sedan for sure, but every time I see a Model S Plaid, I think "1.99, 9.23, 150+mph trap, and flat power curve up to top speed." AND it looks like a totally bad*ss sleeper.

As an ophthalmologist, do you have a rationale for militantly supporting the California no tint law?
I think he was saying “as a professional I won’t write bogus prescriptions just because someone is not happy with some rule”. However he should have offered to you the wrap around sun glass that my wife got due to her cataract issue. And she can take them off at night to see, especially the person coming down the street with dark tint on all the windows.

How is that relationship, very close? Have you seen 1983 movie that I was referring to?
Dude, I'm a Stephen King nut. The extra benefit is that Christine was the name of my wife's college roommate who she hated and my wife claims the car hates her because it never recognizes her phone key (probably because she goes weeks between occasions that she drives it).

They aren't shipping all new cars to Europe as inventory is still flowing to customers here in the US.
Model Y to Europe is coming from China, whilst S and X are not here until end of this year, so no exports to here just yet.

Even Model 3 is now coming here from China, so very little Fremont production is being diverted to Europe for now.

Just don't come to my ophthalmology office since we will just tell you to turn in your license and we will not grant you a bs exemption.
It’s really not that serious Dr. Serious. I’m a professional, harmless adult and that’s why my good friend (eye doc) had no problem signing the form. I’m pretty sure the sun bothers a lot of people’s eyes, especially from the driver’s side window. If it makes you feel better, I don’t have 35% tint so the police can’t see in my car.

Last edited: