Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not certain Porsche is ready to improve the performance of the Taycan even if they can. I believe at this years annual Porsche Parade event, the fastest car around the track was a Taycan. Porsche already has an issue with the Taycan at times being faster than the 911. They can't keep improving the Taycan as the 911 has little room for improvement but must remain as the brands halo car. Can't see Porsche changing that in a losing battle with Tesla.

More like from game theory. I’m mostly noticing how much this sounds like a prisoner’s dilemma. Here:

or just watch this:

The latter is very short and talks about where it fails.
But the last statement of that video debunks its application in real world situations...

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
I think they are totally sandbagging on the Plaid and probably on the LR too. I think they want to to see what Lucid can manage before we see any upgrades. I think they would also love to beat the Taycan Turbo S at the 'Ring.
Interesting. I get it, don't show your entire hand. But at the same time, if they COULD get the Plaid to say, 1.7 or whatever other crazy number stretches the laws of physics, might that also have "the other guys" blow their R&D budget into trying to match or beat their specs, versus getting the cars out, fixing bugs, sacrifice 0-6 versus range or longevity, etc.?
I'd say you know more about Tesla than I ever will (and for that matter, more than I'd ever want to!) but I would think with Musk's ego, if he has enough control over things, well, I'd imagine he'd want to show lower times.
I get the gist that the LR is possibly hobbled to 3.1 - but I also wonder with "only" 6xx hp and 2 motors, is that about the physical limit, versus 3 on the Plaid. I completely get the idea to differentiate the performance of the Plaid over the LR, but there are some significant differences between the 2 powertrains as far as I can tell.

Just logged back onto TMC after a long hiatus. Sorry guys, being on here was too toxic for me...too negative, too stressful but mostly because of just a few members, so nothing against 99% of you all. I decided to log back on just to give you all an update as I won't be able to go back and review/read 35+ pages of this thread I missed. I've been going back/forth with my local South Florida SC Mgr for weeks now and finally received a very (bad) update...seems like most of you already know and have experienced similar.

I'm now being told "mid-Sept - mid-Oct" for delivery of my MS Plaid, no matter that I ordered 6 months ago back on 2/5/21 and my Tesla account hasn't changed in months...still blank. Seems like they simply treat all orders like new orders as there are still major "supply chain" parts shortages although I cannot figure out which items (carbon fiber, white seats, computer ships and/or other electrical/computer related items) are currently unavailable which are causing these major delays in production. My SC Mgr either doesn't have that information either or just won't divulge which parts are missing for MS Plaid production.

So, very sad news indeed and I'm sorry for all those going through similar delays and frustrations with Tesla. Needless to say, I really do think I'll love my Tesla MS Plaid (especially based on all the videos, reviews, etc I've been seeing online) BUT I also truly think this will in fact be my first Tesla EV and my last Tesla EV. I simply cannot endure the piss-poor "Tesla ordering/production/delivery" process again. I will likely have my eyes set on a Lucid Air GT or MB EQ AMG or similar after I am done with my Tesla Model S Plaid. So...if there are any TMC members who are die-hard Tesla fanboys and you guys want to jump down my throat again, then I'll simply log off TMC again in order to ignore all the as$holes. I was hoping by now to log back on to give you guys some good, exciting news of my VIN and/or even pictures of my new white MS Plaid with white/carbon fiber interior. But nope, not happening for at least another 6-10 weeks. ☹️

I think the "healthiest" way to order a Tesla is take the targeted delivery date range with a grain of salt, make sure you have a reliable car, and wait to an email, call or text. PERIOD.
The unhealthiest way, which I think I mastered, is to check my account status when I wake up, go to sleep, and am bored during the day, and for extra punishment, come on these forums (where I learn a lot) but also get my hopes crushed, and vicariously live the deliveries and cancellations of the members, with some photos and videos and reviews thrown in for that extra dollop of torture.
Of course, I wouldn't have it any other way!
(I've seriously considered a mental health break - it's just a friggin car - about my 20th if you count what I've gotten my wife, kids, etc.) but dang, it's to be MY car - and though not my most expensive, by far my most technologically advanced and best performance.
In short, I want this beast. Okay, end of musings and foaming at the mouth.

What you all have been waiting for. As promised, friend with a LR ran a drag strip tonight. This one was NOT including launch mode. Another round coming with launch mode. I was not there. This was shared with me. Video coming. @2021plaid @Hayseed_MS @Drew-MS @sflgator @Tigers @Ramphex View attachment 685254
Nice. And yes, I called it...LR 1/4 mi in upper 10's @ 128mph. Not too shabby; not like Plaid quick but very quick nonetheless. Great job. Hope this puts to rest the MS Plaid vs. MS LR question in terms of performance. ;):cool:

Just logged back onto TMC after a long hiatus. Sorry guys, being on here was too toxic for me...too negative, too stressful but mostly because of just a few members, so nothing against 99% of you all. I decided to log back on just to give you all an update as I won't be able to go back and review/read 35+ pages of this thread I missed. I've been going back/forth with my local South Florida SC Mgr for weeks now and finally received a very (bad) update...seems like most of you already know and have experienced similar.

I'm now being told "mid-Sept - mid-Oct" for delivery of my MS Plaid, no matter that I ordered 6 months ago back on 2/5/21 and my Tesla account hasn't changed in months...still blank. Seems like they simply treat all orders like new orders as there are still major "supply chain" parts shortages although I cannot figure out which items (carbon fiber, white seats, computer ships and/or other electrical/computer related items) are currently unavailable which are causing these major delays in production. My SC Mgr either doesn't have that information either or just won't divulge which parts are missing for MS Plaid production.

So, very sad news indeed and I'm sorry for all those going through similar delays and frustrations with Tesla. Needless to say, I really do think I'll love my Tesla MS Plaid (especially based on all the videos, reviews, etc I've been seeing online) BUT I also truly think this will in fact be my first Tesla EV and my last Tesla EV. I simply cannot endure the piss-poor "Tesla ordering/production/delivery" process again. I will likely have my eyes set on a Lucid Air GT or MB EQ AMG or similar after I am done with my Tesla Model S Plaid. So...if there are any TMC members who are die-hard Tesla fanboys and you guys want to jump down my throat again, then I'll simply log off TMC again in order to ignore all the as$holes. I was hoping by now to log back on to give you guys some good, exciting news of my VIN and/or even pictures of my new white MS Plaid with white/carbon fiber interior. But nope, not happening for at least another 6-10 weeks. ☹️
Waiting sucks, and I'm a very impatient person, but I've found it's always worth the wait if it's truly the car you want. The parts shortage is world wide so you may not have great luck switching to another manufacturer anyway.

Nice. And yes, I called it...LR 1/4 mi in upper 10's @ 128mph. Not too shabby; not like Plaid quick but very quick nonetheless. Great job. Hope this puts to rest the MS Plaid vs. MS LR question in terms of performance. ;):cool:

Did someone actually question whether there was a difference in performance?

Sorry you got the bad news. It's been a long wait for sure.

Hi @sflgator, glad to see you back! Of course we'd all rather have our cars! The things that are in your favor for a quick delivery are Plaid, 21" and early Feb order date. The only strikes against you are CF and white interior. We're seeing lots of Plaids getting delivered with CF and white although they are still heavily constrained. I think if you stay close to your SC manager, they can get you either your car or a car that someone else didn't want after 6 months. Hang in there!

Interesting. I get it, don't show your entire hand. But at the same time, if they COULD get the Plaid to say, 1.7 or whatever other crazy number stretches the laws of physics, might that also have "the other guys" blow their R&D budget into trying to match or beat their specs, versus getting the cars out, fixing bugs, sacrifice 0-6 versus range or longevity, etc.?
I'd say you know more about Tesla than I ever will (and for that matter, more than I'd ever want to!) but I would think with Musk's ego, if he has enough control over things, well, I'd imagine he'd want to show lower times.
I get the gist that the LR is possibly hobbled to 3.1 - but I also wonder with "only" 6xx hp and 2 motors, is that about the physical limit, versus 3 on the Plaid. I completely get the idea to differentiate the performance of the Plaid over the LR, but there are some significant differences between the 2 powertrains as far as I can tell.
Tesla is already about to make manufacturers blow their budgets on trying to keep up, I doubt they need to push further just yet for the time being.

I agree with your sentiment with the LR vs. Plaid powertrain argument but plenty of people already choose not to see the differences between the 2, so imagine if the supposed gap was less. 🙂

It's all crap, - we all know it now. It's embarrassing that a company with such forward-thinking technology has no clue how to run an ordering system. Just ridiculous.

I also have been misled by SA after SA, - some telling me complete nonsense (like if I change my Plaid interior from carbon fiber to wood it will incur a $5k difference in price due to price changes). What?! First, I ordered my car after any price changed, and second - there was never a $5k difference for Plaid. It just boggles my mind how most of us here know more about these cars than the people representing the company. Just... shameful.
Nah, there’s too much evidence recently that a date range that narrows over the course of a week or two results in a VIN assignment once the range settles in on a 7-day window. There are at least four people on here that have been assigned VINs over the last couple weeks after experiencing this EDD behavior.

If your date bounces around from blank or a generic month, then yeah, it’s crap.

I think this is more about visible innovation and providing steps of improvement that prompt incremental increases in adoption.

0-60 in 4.5 was enough to capture some. 4 seconds captured more. 2.5 yet even more. 2.0 and everyone that is not an outright Tesla hater wants one.

Next step could be built into the plaid.

Short-term rocket propulsion built into the roadster to get around traction limitations to follow.

As I said, I think the steps are about creating more adopters. Myself as an example, I only became ready "adopt" late last year. They brought out the plaid and I purchased my place in line.

Nah, there’s too much evidence recently that a date range that narrows over the course of a week or two results in a VIN assignment once the range settles in on a 7-day window. There are at least four people on here that have been assigned VINs over the last couple weeks after experiencing this EDD behavior.

If your date bounces around from blank or a generic month, then yeah, it’s crap.

Well, I'm in a 7-day window for several days now, but it keeps pushing out that window. My SA said that my account says this:

"Soft match to future build slot".

She said lots of other Plaid orders don't say this, and she doesn't know what it means. Anyone have any ideas?

The trend seems to be you start out with a date range that is a couple weeks wide. It then gradually narrows to the point that it’s 7-days. If you get to 7-days, the VIN seems to show up very shortly after. (At least that’s what I’ve seen from you and others)
Hoping this is the case too! 🥺

If the Taycan had half as good of an autopilot as Tesla, I'd seriously be going that route.

FSD is the thing that keeps me with Tesla the most. I could justify not having the performance with another brand, but not the tech. Hoping Mobileye does a lot to fill that gap for Lucid and others.

BUT I also truly think this will in fact be my first Tesla EV and my last Tesla EV. I simply cannot endure the piss-poor "Tesla ordering/production/delivery" process again.

Welcome back, buddy! Agreed with you here. I used to recommend Tesla to all those I knew, but now that the competition is arriving and I've had this experience, I would only come back if I have no other choice.

Why do they have different date range spreads? I have a 2 week spread.. Others have shorter. I've decided that this is evidence that we are part of a psychological experiment. Either that or this is proof that we all are part of a computer program and there was been a software glitch.
My speculation is that they plan out their production 2-3 weeks in advanced based on parts on hand or anticipated delivery of parts and efficiency of the production line. If in the production planning phase they match you with a car they anticipate building, you get a date range. As that production window progresses, your date range narrows. Stuff can happen like production delays or parts deliveries not showing up so the date range may stall. But, if you have a date range, evidence has shown it’s a good sign.