Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model S Delivery Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cant search the word "VIN" on this forum or read through 2800+ pages again so can one of VIN experts chime in.

I'm sure no one who is waiting for a VIN wants one from the lot of 450 cars sitting in Freemont sun now for over 3+ months for the obvious issues, from a prolonged parking such as paint, battery, tires etc...as well as unknown issues as to why those cars are just sitting there.

Therefore can anyone guess which VIN's or range of VIN's to be on the lookout for over the next few months based on the reported VIN's of those who have taken delivery or are already in process?
I think the hopes / assumptions are that those cars will not be delivered and are hopefully slated for showrooms or other corp target slots. But all speculation. Seems like they would have shipped them by now if they were customer targeted cars.

Not judging your decision good or bad - you do what is best for you and your family.

However, basing it off a few videos of people struggling with the yoke is not reality. Sure, some do struggle but I can say from real life experience (not "kool-aid drinking" as some would say), with 6300 miles on the yoke it is a non-issue. I have not hit one curb, car, tree, garage, pony, etc. Sometimes the buttons annoy me but unlike stalks - the buttons are always at my thumb-tips and are easy to manipulate. Just like a stalk - up is opposite and down is current side signal - the yoke buttons are the same - top is opposite and bottom is current side. Now, I do hit the wiper button sometimes when I do not want to hit it.

Find someone who will let you try it and find out for yourself.
Man, you don't know how relieved I am about the ponies! The other stuff I could have dealt with...just not the ponies!

That is something we aren't exactly sure about..... On one hand, it would make almost no sense to have carbon-wrapped rotors on a car that has quite different gearing on both axles vs. the Plaid, which has the same ratio front and back. On the other hand, the LR seems to be holding power all the way through the quarter mile, so that may be the case then. I guess if you think about it, maybe the different gearing doesn't really end up mattering as much if both motors can make their max power and hold it in the end....
Why are we unsure of this? The LR rear drive unit appears to be the same as the Model 3 - p/n 112098-00-J. The website does not say anything about the LR having Carbon wrapped rotors while they are specially called out in the Plaid specs.

VIN! It happened, it actually HAPPENED! EDD shrunk to Aug 6-10! Cannot wait to update this forum with pics of those ugly 19's!
Excellent! Another 19er with a VIN. Could you please update your entry with the VIN's three digits after MF and your vehicleMapId in the tracker sheet? I added an entry for you at the bottom of the second sheet:

Why are we unsure of this? The LR rear drive unit appears to be the same as the Model 3 - p/n 112098-00-J. The website does not say anything about the LR having Carbon wrapped rotors while they are specially called out in the Plaid specs.
Many pages back in this thread someone posted a screenshot of a table in the S manual. Only the Plaid has carbon wrapped rotors. LR does not.

Exactly! This is why I'm so confused. The manual is the telling indicator though, as Tesla has to state what each vehicle has, regardless of place in model hierarchy. I do think these motors are separate from the M3 though, as they are making wayyy more power, and are holding power contrary to what the M3 does.

So, I've thought of another possibility: it's possible that the LR motors are NOT carbon-wrapped, and are just so efficient that up to the LR's top speed, there is little to no taper. But after 155 is maybe where they would start to drop off. That is where the carbon-wrapped rotors come in on the Plaid. Although it has been incorrectly stated in the past that the rotors don't have anything to do with the nearly flat power curve on the Plaid, this is not true. They do, as they help maintain that really strong EM field up to nearly 20,000 rpm. So my new guess is that the LR’s motors are quite efficient in their own way up to a certain point, and that they are simply the best PM motor in an EV that doesn't use the carbon-wrapped rotors. This would help explain how the LR can hold power like it does. Then, for the Plaid, the rotors are applied to maintain that power at 155+ by keeping that EM field efficient and strong.

Last edited:
Excellent! Another 19er with a VIN. Could you please update your entry with the VIN's three digits after MF and your vehicleMapId in the tracker sheet? I added an entry for you at the bottom of the second sheet:

Will do. VIN entered though i don't know where to find vehicleMapId

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
Congrats! Can you tell us the process you used to remove the front plate?
Unscrew the 3 screws in the front, it lifts the body colored cover off the bracket which is then mounted onto the bumper with double sided tape.

Removing the bracket was a pain, using a heat gun/hair dryer you can heat up the bracket which will in turn heat up the double sided tape, this is some industrial strength stuff though. There are two strips of about an inch wide, 10 inches long, double sided tape that run horizontally on top and bottom of the bracket. Trying to pry it with your hands just doesn’t work, it literally flexes the front bumper cover from the car. To be on the safer side with pulling too hard, I used a fishing line wrapped around my gloved hands (trust me you’ll appreciate the gloves once you start pulling up and down) to hook around the bracket and using it to pretty much saw the double sided tape by going up and down and slowly pulling across.

At the end you’re left with a ton of residue, roll it with your finger onto itself and it’ll come up nicely. Once done, use a bit of Goo Gone to touch up little residue areas for a nice smooth clean. Then some soapy water to finish off and a small amount of wax just to cover the area where the bracket used to be (I’m sure it’s never been waxed there before).
Everyone is missing the point. By removing the front license plate frame it gives him the extra room to get in and out.
Most definitely does lmao, a solid inch more space between the garage door and the front bumper now!
I would love to see more pictures of your MSM. Same specs as my order. Congrats!
Attaching pics, some were already posted but it’s for the quick license plate bracket guide above. It’s been raining the last couple of days so haven’t been able to do any good photo shoots other than snapping a couple of pics here and there with my phone.

Pick up day:
C9E49046-3394-4B17-AA2B-FC1087F588BE.jpeg

6159D05D-A363-420A-8E73-D96C11E4C954.jpeg

8CC5F881-272C-471B-9572-6D736D9341F6.jpeg

These are going to hurt the wallet when it’s time to replace 😅😅
443B1074-BA12-44BD-A441-8BB1CE8E8836.jpeg

Here are the 3 plate holder pics, before, cover off (bracket exposed), after:

A4955995-4019-4486-ADD5-B65E72A0A227.jpeg

7373BD77-BE06-44B4-B082-902B3FC0F542.jpeg

A83AD54C-EF7F-4CE1-B4CB-CF838B3AD927.jpeg

and here’s just a random low light pic I took last night while out (with my crappy iPhone 😉)

90FB06DB-5296-4AC2-8861-925C94EA35AC.jpeg

The windows are now tinted as you can see in the above pic.

Exactly! This is why I'm so confused. The manual is the telling indicator though, as Tesla has to state what each vehicle has, regardless of place in model hierarchy. I do think these motors are separate from the M3 though, as they are making wayyy more power, and are holding power contrary to what the M3 does.

So, I've thought of another possibility: it's possible that the LR motors are NOT carbon-wrapped, and are just so efficient that up to the LR's top speed, there is little to no taper. But after 155 is maybe where they would start to drop off. That is where the carbon-wrapped rotors come in on the Plaid. Although it has been incorrectly stated in the past that the rotors don't have anything to do with the nearly flat power curve on the Plaid, this is not true. They do, as they help maintain that really strong EM field up to nearly 20,000 rpm. So my new guess is that the LR’s motors are quite efficient in their own way up to a certain point, and that they are simply the best PM motor in an EV that doesn't use the carbon-wrapped rotors. This would help explain how the LR can hold power like it does. Then, for the Plaid, the rotors are applied to maintain that power at 155+ by keeping that EM field efficient and strong.
Given the DU is the same as the 3, I would guess the mystery battery pack (plus maybe the beefier cooling) is responsible for the LR's behavior.

So this just happened. I got a VIN last night, and a few moments ago my EDD narrowed to a 3 day window.

Capture.JPG

Something else....

I got an insurance policy through USAA. $2100 for a full year. When they pulled up my VIN, it is listed as a Performance Model S. I tried to explain to them that it is a Long Range, but they said their data base is coming from Tesla. This means insurance companies are basing their rates on a performance model, which usually means higher rates.

The only way they can change this is if Tesla stops calling it the Performance Model S in their database. It looks like someone's oversight at Tesla is going to cost a lot of customers money on insurance.

I understand that the LR is faster than most performance cars, so please skip the responses about that. The insurance companies only know terms. If it was not listed as a performance vehicle, they would treat it accordingly, regardless of specs.